It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2-1/2" Daystar install write up (1 year review)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Powerman04 wrote:
Nice write-up. You should send Daystar a copy for their records. :seuss:

Anyway, i was curious about lifts, and am keeping my options open which includes the Daystar. What I'm curious about is, do you have to use the stock suspension in order to use this, or can you upgrade to the aftermarket and still use this? I'm not trying to get gratuitous amounts of lift, it's just that I know my stock suspension is showing its signs of wear and I wanted to replace it anyway.

So it basically comes to: Are you limited to stock suspension replacements when considering a Daystar kit, or can you also moderately upgrade with aftermarket and still use it?

Yes you can but if you are replacing many of the componets then you might as well go with a different lift that comes with those componets. You can buy some very nice 2-1/2" to 3" lifts like the Frankilift etc that replace all those componets plus upgrade them. If this Jeep was going to see much offroad time I would have gone with a different lift. For what I used it for and what my step daughter uses it for it has been perfect. I was very honest with myself, not just trying to save money.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ Taz.....

I just got my Daystar kit and will be printing out your instructions, as mentioned by you and others here, your write up is far and above Daystar's instructions.
I'm hoping to hook up with a buddy from work who has access to a garage with a lift, and spring compressor, my only concerns are with removing the top plate studs, and pressing them in the new Daystar plate. If we don't have access to a floor press like you had, are there other safe ways to remove those studs, and press them into the new top plates......?

I may end up doing this in my driveway if we can't get the garage, so the only thing holding me back is the top plate studs....

Thrush Welded Muffler
K&N (Poor Man's) cold air intake
Goodyear Duratrac 245/75-16

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SurfGuitar141 wrote:
KJ Taz.....

I just got my Daystar kit and will be printing out your instructions, as mentioned by you and others here, your write up is far and above Daystar's instructions.
I'm hoping to hook up with a buddy from work who has access to a garage with a lift, and spring compressor, my only concerns are with removing the top plate studs, and pressing them in the new Daystar plate. If we don't have access to a floor press like you had, are there other safe ways to remove those studs, and press them into the new top plates......?

I may end up doing this in my driveway if we can't get the garage, so the only thing holding me back is the top plate studs....

Pressing the studs is easy, you can even do it with a socket underneath and a brass hammer. You definately need spring compressors though. I have a set but some friends of mine just went and used ones from Autozone. They will lend them to you just charging a fee that you get back when you return them (just make sure they look like the ones in my photos). This will work fine as long as you don't have the diesel. Then you need ones that have a narrow jaw and those can be a bit tough to find.

Also its been a while since I have done this, 2-1/2 years, but if you need to call me just shoot me a PM and I will give you my number. I will check in in the morning just incase.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm working on installing the Daystar kit right now and I cannot get the upper ball joint seperated. I got the bolt off fine, sprayed it with liquid wrench and hammered away at it. It didn't even budge.
So I rented a ball joint extractor tool and bought a ball joint seperator (pickle fork). The ball joint extractor did not work and neither did the ball joint seperator.
I was able to get all the other necessary bolts off, but I am stuck here. Can anyone give me some advice? I really dont want to have to get a mechanic to do this for me. Please help!

Thanks in advance...

255/70R16 General Grabber AT2's

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mine always come loose pretty easy. When they were stuck, I just whacked them with a brass hammer, and they popped right loose.

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I used this write up to install the daystar 2.5 lift this weekend on my wifes Liberty. Thanks it would have been near impossible with the Daystar instructions. It ended up taking most of two days as I tried to do it myself at first and got stuck getting the clevis back into place as everything was off by quite a bit once I got the shock mounted back into position. Finally with help the ratchet strap idea worked to pull everything into place.

Unfortunately after getting nearly done I realized I left one of the two 1 inch or so rubber spacers that go onto the shock off on the passenger side. I'm assuming this will cause the jeep to make noise as it wont have the rubber to keep it from moving around. I'll probably go back and take it apart and re do it shortly but my question is how much noise did your jeeps make after doing this? Ours seems to be making quite a bit of noise especially when turning out of a driveway or something that forces the suspension to sway while turning. Is this normal and will settle or did I somehow screw something up other than the rubber piece. I don't think its just the rubber as it sounds like its doing it on both sides.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

mine doesn't make any noise at all.

you might have the top nuts too tight possibly or something wasn't quite put together perfectly flat before tightening down. had that problem on another vehicle, sounded like it was binding. took it apart, redid it carefully, and no more noise.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:49 am 
LOST Newbie

daystar lifts are really hard on all the suspension components. They would be fine if the vehicle was brand new with no miles on it. BUt if your putting it on a jeep with more then 60000 miles on the clock it can really point out its wear points. i would tighten everything up best you can then i would look around for worn out bushings. did you use just the spacers or did you use the top plates too. i know a lot of people hated the noises and ride from the old daystar kit with out the top plates. I still use daystar spacers in my jeep but with OME light duty springs, and rancho shocks, moog bushings and ball joints, and JBA control arms. So ive had to replace pretty much everything to make my homemade lift work and function great

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:28 am 
LOST Member

So far i'm satisfied with my Daystar lift. used the spacers and front mounting plates. my 2007 only has 40,000 miles on it when i installed the kit approx 1500miles ago. all the components looked good when we installed the lift, but i plan to keep a close eye on all those pieces, and will upgrade when they go out. so far though, no complaints.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sorry that I haven't been on the board for a while to answer peoples questions but it sounds like they were taken care of.

As a side note.....

After over 2 years and the Jeep now has 80,000+ miles and I still would not have done anything different with it. Please note the Libby doesn't really see offroad much and when it does its very minor wheeling. I have 2 other jeeps I use for the trails. It's mostly an around town get through the snow vehicle. The Daystar lift has worked great for this. Makes the Libby look nice, gives it a decent amount of ground clearance and allows me to run 31's on it. All in all I love the lift and I am glad I went with it.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:23 pm 
LOST Member

what is the benefit to using the strut plates from Daystar?

I see instructions with and without using them.

Im about to pull the trigger and buy a kit from a member here and need to learn more about it. :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Daystar upper strut plates are required if you use a spring spacer up front. They in effect, lengthen the front shock shaft length to account for the added spacer. You can choose to use them in combination with OME springs and a smaller (3/4") spring spacer to build a Frankenlift. Stock top plates can be used with OME 927 springs to get theh same lift as the Daystar spacer lift.

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:42 pm 
LOST Member

long_tall_texan wrote:
The Daystar upper strut plates are required if you use a spring spacer up front. They in effect, lengthen the front shock shaft length to account for the added spacer. You can choose to use them in combination with OME springs and a smaller (3/4") spring spacer to build a Frankenlift. Stock top plates can be used with OME 927 springs to get theh same lift as the Daystar spacer lift.

so are stock plates okay to use with the daystar lift? do I NEED the Daystar plates?
Edit - I understand this now...had to read it again. the spacer you refer to is the daystar spacer...not a strut plate spacer like jba or boiler sell. so I NEED the daystar plates.

also
the isolator posted here:
is it needed if shock boots are not used?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but it helped me invalueably installing my daystar lift. Great instructions!

Here is how mine turned out:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Here is mine stock tires and rims look small but the lift is great still need rear shocks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow it's been awhile since I have been around but it's so nice to see that this thread has helped so many. Just as a side note my step daughter still has my KJ and it now is closing in on 140,000 miles with no issues from the lift. The Liberty has been a good dependable vehicle for all of us who have owned it. This Jeep never saw much "real" offloading after I blew the steering ram but the lift worked great for all the snow days it has seen in Colorado.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:58 am 
LOST Newbie

I've got about 20,000km on mine only off road twice worked great. Looks funny with stock tires hoping to get something like a 31" but it's on the back burner for now. Rear shocks are stock still but I think they need to be replaced soon. Rides good with weight on the hitch and little rough with no weight.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well the cost and work was definitely worth 6 years and over 100k miles on the lift. To this day it still rides rough but to me it rides like a Jeep. My step daughter loves it and it still sits well. She is still running around Aurora with the SinCity Lost stickers on it.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know a lot of people are anti Daystar lift but this really was a good lift for my KJ. It has well over 140,000 miles on it and still seems good although my step daughter has let some of the maintenance go but the lift survived. It looks like we will be letting the KJ go but it sure did a good job.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

KJ Taz can you tell me what kit number you use and or if the kit number you used and will the kit you installed work on a 2006 crd limited 2.8 diesel thanks john

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next