It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EVIC installed on 03 KJ CRD Sport with pics!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Hi guys.

My little saturday project on my KJ was installing an EVIC which I went to purchase yesterday from a wrecker. My unit is from a Grand Cherokee Limited from 2000. No idea if it was petrol or diesel. Part# of this EVIC was 56042271AB.

I bought some electrical cable used for 3-phase systems. 3 phases and one ground, in total 4 wires which is exactly what I need for this thing.

Before anything was done, I went and checked under my front airdam for a sensor:

Yep there is a little plastic thingy on there indeed!

Next up was ripping out the overhead lights from the KJ, leaving a little hole:

I wacked the cables into the little hole on my left side, towards the A-pillar of the car. By unscrewing the left side sunblocker I could stuff the cable far enough into the interior to reach it from the sunblocker:

Next I removed the A-pillar plastic cover and got the wire down and re-connected the sunblocker. Took the wire and pushed it into the small hole near the A-pillar.

Stuffed a lot of wire down there and went on my knees to remove the panel at the pedals, unscrewing these:

Got hold of my wire and pulled it for installation:

Now comes the really terrible part! I couldn't get the wires into the ODBII thing, and wanted it to look transparent to the poor sensored word who will buy this car from me later on. So I did the worst I could and cut the wires going to the ODBII plug:

Using those plugs I could splice my wires onto the ODBII port without fussing around with the plug itself. Installed looks like this:

We then proceeded to cut into my beloved car interior, and BEHOLD, we got the plastic cover with thread for screws PREINSTALLED. This could NOT be easier!

Put the little EVIC in and fired up the car, here we GO:

Sweet mother of joy! Temperature sensor works, menu works, fuel consumption works, direction works! Briefly said THE THING WORKS PERFECTLY!!!

Here's one happy KJ owner! YEAH!! :D

PS: The temperature sensor would be pre-installed on MOST KJs as it is needed to activate the aircon at the right temperatures in FLOOR mode. Without one, how would the KJ know when to start its procedure? Most Sports got one is my verdict!

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Nice write-up. Planning on doing this soon, or getting the scangauge. This should be moved the the tech section.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:25 pm 
LOST Addict

I should say, using the guide on http://www.jeepkj.com/evic/ you can see there are four wires that you need to install.

On my setup you only need three. You splice the pink and blue/white together at the EVIC and this spliced wire in the B+(fused) in the ODBII plug. Unit comes on when I start the car, and goes off when I shut off the car. It acts exactly like the radio does. Or you can do like me, install all 4 wires and splice both pink and blue/white into B+(fused) on the ODBII plug. Same thing you get. Saves you the trouble of trying to find some wire which is hot when the ignition is on. The B+(fused) is only hot when you need it to be.

Just a little heads up for the people wanting to install an EVIC.

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

I checked my non-EVICed 2006 CRD Sport, and it also has the temperature probe. This will make the EVIC install a bit easier and cheaper.

Thanks for the great writeup, Uffe!

- Chris

Suncoast TC, Transgo shift kit, Inmotion, ORM, EHM, Magnaflow SS exhaust, Fumoto valve, EVIC added, Hensley TruControl brake controller, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LR-D in spring/summer/fall, FIA winter front and Blizzaks in winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:34 am 
LOST Junkie

Yeah the EVIC is the way to go. I tried an OTIS but it lacked the programing features of the EVIC. Plus the EVIC will actually tell you which door is open on your Libby should you forget to close it before leaving the driveway and are too lazy to look :lol:

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears