It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why remove negative battery wire for bulb replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:40 pm 
LOST Member

So what could or would happen if one does not remove and isolate the Negative connection to the battery when replacing an exterior light bulb?
Or when replacing a stereo for that matter.
Has anyone had a problem if they did not do this first?

:?:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm guessing you can get an arc across whatever you're connecting. I never bothered as disconnecting the negative is just about the easiest thing you can do.

If it is a pain for you, you could install a disconnect lever or something. I believe I've seen that around for 2 battery setups.

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:06 pm 
LOST Member

So, you never bothered disconnecting the lead or you just disconnect it because it is easy to do?

Does anyone agree that it is because of a possible arc?

When I did electrical work on older model cars in the nineties and before my KJ, I do not recall needing to do this.
:(

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sorry, yeah, I disconnect the battery - .

The field service manual warns you to do so when doing any electrical work, and I believe it references the airbags....maybe they've gone off due to surges or something. Just an easy precaution to me.

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:48 am 
LOST Member

Total waste of effort to disconnect battery to do a lite bulb change---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:52 am 
LOST Member

The shop manuals (Haynes, Chilton, etc.) will tell you to disconnect the negative battery cable before virtually ANY repair, no matter how miniscule, such as changing a headlight bulb, adding washer fluid, adding power steering fluid, changing your oil, etc.

I never understood it and I never do it unless I'm working on a sensitive and/or expensive electrical component. Sorry if that offends you ASE Certified supermen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:35 pm 
LOST Member

Boiler wrote:

The field service manual warns you to do so when doing any electrical work, and I believe it references the airbags....maybe they've gone off due to surges or something. Just an easy precaution to me.

x2. It's generally a good idea to disconnect the battery before doing anything electrical to the vehicle. I've replaced a couple of external bulbs without doing it... mainly because I forgot. but yeah, almost every section in my manual starts with "first disconnect the negative from the battery"

04 3.7 Sport.
Auto Trans
Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 235/70/R16
Garmin GPS on RAM Mount

Mileage Trend:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:16 pm 
LOST Member

jnaut wrote:
Boiler wrote:

x2. It's generally a good idea to disconnect the battery before doing anything electrical to the vehicle. I've replaced a couple of external bulbs without doing it... mainly because I forgot. but yeah, almost every section in my manual starts with "first disconnect the negative from the battery"

Probably has more to do with predatory lawyers and insurance requirements than with a real issue, especially for external changes like lights. Even on my old cars, though, the battery was disconnected when working with or under the dash, even without airbags.

1971 Dodge Challenger, 318cid, A904 Torqueflite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Neal wrote:
Total waste of effort to disconnect battery to do a lite bulb change---

yeah until you accidentally forget that you left the key in the ignition too and the second you plug the new bulb in it surges and blows the new bulb.

always disconnect. its just safer and smarter. i hit the fuse box if i ever touch a wall plate for any reason even if its just to change the faceplate, never know when u might slip with your screwdriver and hit a hott wire...thats never happy.

tow hooks & strap
CB
Mud
Upcoming:
1. tires and lift
2. armor!
3. rack and lights
4. other mods to fit my style.

Post subject: Brake bulbs replaced w/o battery disconnect
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:29 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I did the bulb replace yesterday with no obvious damages.
I did not buy new and replace the plastic connector things the manual tells you to do. They are socket and ball type snap together set ups.

Why did Chrysler make them a one time use part? I snapped the tail light housing back and screwed in the torx screws. Was I wrong not to replace those plastic socket things?

Also, the Sylvania replacement bulbs are 27 Watt/ 8.2 Watt when the original bulbs said 27 W/ 7 W. Hope they do not overload the electrical system in any way.
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:42 pm 
LOST Addict

The new bulb will just be a little brighter when the running lights are on. Also they on;y pull .10 Amps more.... nothing to worry about

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:06 am 
LOST Junkie

kj-dec wrote:

Probably has more to do with predatory lawyers and insurance requirements than with a real issue, especially for external changes like lights. Even on my old cars, though, the battery was disconnected when working with or under the dash, even without airbags.

I agree that's likely a legal issue. Whoever wrote the instructions are able to cover their stupid by including the "remove battery connection" to the instructions.

Heck I wouldn't be surprised to see it written into the oil change instructions LOL :lol:

And to answer the question, no I don't remove the battery terminals when servicing my vehicle.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears