It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is the life span of Shocks?
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

When I first drove my new stock 2002 Liberty It did have some sway I was concerned enough to limit my family from drive it and I was concerned about lifting it thinking it would get worse. To my surprise after lifting it the control and sway problem seemed to go away. Yes after getting lifted my Liberty seemed to sway less and feel less vulnerable to rolling. I was told that it was the stiffer shocks.

Lately it feels like it’s swaying again. I just had the front end taken apart because I needed a new CV boot. I check to see if they removed or loosened the anti-sway bar and it looks attached. Could my shocks have lost their stiffness? What is the life span of Shocks Or does anyone have any other ideas?
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
2002 3.7L V6 Liberty 4X4 Steel Blue
Skids, Rock rails, Roof Rack, ARB rear Air Locker
Rancho RSX front struts and rear shocks
K&N air intake, Flowmaster 50 series muffler
2.5” Old Man Emu spring lift front
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:46 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

depends on a lot of factors , stock shocks in my opinion are done in 50/60,000 miles at most, with your lift you didn't say what type it was or what kind of shocks. It also depends on how much of a load you carry, what type of roads you travel on etc. But for example I have over 60,000 on my Ranchos RSXs and they still feel good on the highway etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:31 am 
LOST Newbie

I have Rancho shocks with about 45,000 miles on them with very little off road miles.

Could a good car service facility tell if I need new shocks or would they have to remove them from the springs to tell?

If it's not the shocks do you have any other idea what might cause the sway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A easy way to test struts/shocks-------rock one corner of the vehicle at a time(up/down),you need to get it going pretty good then let off,if the rocking stops in at least one up or down motion then they are good,if it keeps going for a few they are bad.

Other things to look at are the LCA/UCA mount bushings,also the control arm/tri-link bushing in the rear.I already replaced my front LCA's due to the mount/lower clevis bushing where shot.It was cheaper and easier just to replace the whole LCA's since they came with new bushing already installed.