It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pulling to the Right Normal?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, I just bought my 2003 Jeep Liberty 2 weeks ago. I have been a jeep owner for 9 years and love them. My problem is the jeep is pulling to the right. I have brought it back to the dealer twice now and they are telling me this is normal and that all Jeep Liberty's pull to the right. This happens not just on the road but in parking lots as well. I'm trying to find out if this is true or not.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:52 pm 
LOST Addict

No. Go to a good place that you trust would do a good alignment job ...

Could be tire wear, could be they need to be balanced, or just something as simple as unequal inflation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:39 pm 
LOST Addict

A lot, and i mean A LOT of liberty owners complain about this.
When I first got mine it didn't pull too much, but over years (3) it started pulling more and more.. I have heard craps from dealership such as it is supposed to pull to the right to avoid crashing to median (and it is ok to crash into pedestrians!), or stuff like roads are meant to keep vehicles pulling to the right! :shock: Anyway, following LBJ recall and bushing replacement last week, it is pulling more. I have to keep wheel tilted to the LEFT to keep my KJ going straight. They blamed it on my PSI (which is even at 34 all fours)

I went back today and dropped it off, dealer said it may need an alignment, i said so do it, they said it is not covered, i said i will talk to you tomorrow..
Someone will call me tomorrow and I will deal with them. It is under 3/36. They better fix it.

Literally, it can take the exit on an highway if I let it be..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

It will if your roads have a high crown like the ones in the midwest. But normal no.
Also wear of the tire will make it drift to the side and brake drag will too. I once had a ford that had a partly collapsed brake hose that caused the front brake to drag. after a few front end alinements. I had my frot brake pads replaced and they cought it. after they replaced the line and the pads I had no more pull to the side.
Just something to look at.

Mopar light bar, full skid plates
BDS 2" Lift
In the works :roof rack, and lots more!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:27 am 
LOST Member

Ok - Ill tell you this one and its a huge sore spot with me. I wasted so many trips to the Dealer, had 5 aligments done, had the frame checked on a brand new frame straitener. Paid for the frame check and 2 alignments all while still under warranty. Waited to lift all because of the pull to the right. Tried to have the jeep lemon lawed, I was pissed off all the time. Every time I drove it I cursed the ddaammnn thing.

I went to the top of Hawaii DC Service Management - wasted days and weeks of time - many days off of work

They said
Crown in the road
All Jeeps pull to the right (My XJ never pulled) - crown in the road
Its designed that way so you don't hit the car on the other side - crown in the road
The vehicle is not weighted evenly due to driver - I said I weight 190# and it still pulls if I have a 200# guy sitting on the passenger side - crown in the road

"Customer states pulls to the right when taking hands off steeing wheel, due to the saftey of driving with your hands off the wheel we are unable to duplicate" And that took a whole day of service

Anyways at 32000 miles I said screw it, I can't sell it for what I got into it so Im stuck with it.
I mean a $23000 Jeep 04 in 05 with 20,000 miles and its only worth $12 to $14000 maybe 16 if I got lucky.

Put the lift on - still pulled to the right. 3 days later I picked up my rims and went to costco.

New BFG ATKO now drives straight just like any other car and thats B4 I aligned it for the lift.

More Ranting on the crapyears sr-a

I paid an extra $300 for "THE BEST" tire available when I ordered the Jeep

3 out of 5 failed

1 side wall punctures, 1 thru the tread
1 blew out on my wife just driving it to the store with kids in car, luckly on 35mph

sensored word to keep clean - lame design for mud with the lines

Soft sidewall - jeep wiggled all over

Oh yea - this is Jeeps Best Tire Available

In the end - I Know they knew (and DC you know) about it but didn't want to do the right thing.

I will never buy again a new DC product or a new Jeep. Im done with DC. Poorly Under and cheaply designed cutting every corner. Dragging jeep through the mud the Liberty and now Compass. Why when you can Toy FJ (They come with BFGs) and hold their value. H2 and H3 all in the right direction. DC cannot pay their dealers and engieers properly and this is the result. And goodyear, well they made them to DC specs and then made them poorly.

Im done - but Ill sum it up

If you have the Goodyear SRA its probebly the tires

Want&Need Als Arms Seats BTsony Lockers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:59 am 
LOST Addict

I have pro comp 31's and my pulls ever so slightly to the right. My fiances kj and the stock wranglers and no pulling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:00 am 
LOST Addict

Goodyear Wrangler HP here.
I tried pressure changes, even high on the right, low on the left.. still pulled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Update: I am back from alignment job, and it is not pulling (that bad) anymore! :) it still gets affected by the crown on the road, but not as bad as before, it goes almost straight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

I cant tell y'all how lucky I am that I found this topic. Now I know that I'm not alone.

Mine started pulling to the right after the LBJ recall. Of course the dealer said they dont have anything to do with it. I got it aligned and they said alignment was fine. Then they said it was the tires. THEN I demanded to test drive with a technician and he told me it was because of crowns in the road. But the tire store I got it aligned at also says it pulls. Just like the other guy a couple of posts earlier I was waiting with the lift because of this.

I will put the lift on asa they fix the cracked steering knuckle and then maybe the new General Grabber tire will fix the problem.

ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:11 pm 
LOST Addict

If you want the dealer to fix the pull go back and demand that they fix it and that the pull is there after the recall, someone must have not tightened something, or just throw some crap at them, if you think it pulls more after the LBJ. If it is pulling just as much still try the same story.

As for the lift, etc.. If you will be pursuing with dealer on these issues, you better wait until dealer fixes up your jeep real good (they never can), because anytime to go back with ANYTHING AT ALL, even if it is the tail light not working, or wipers squege when you wipe, they will blame it on the lift. I have only heard of a few lift-friendly dealers, and they are pretty far off.. So good luck!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

They cant void the warranty on everything though. If I put a spacer lift on it then they can only void the warranty on suspension parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Endurance wrote:
They cant void the warranty on everything though. If I put a spacer lift on it then they can only void the warranty on suspension parts.

Well they have magical ways of linking stuff to lift.. Just be aware. :) I would wait until my 6yr warranty is up before doing that, but of course who's got the patience.... of course that's me, since I got no trails in this CITY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had the same problem. A very good friend of mine who is a frontend
mechanic that a trust very much told me about the crown in the road thing
years ago and is true. So is the part about set that way factory to keep from
woundering over the line in the event you fall asleep at the wheel.
I talked to him about the Liberty and he told me to take it to a somewhere
familiar with 4x4's and lifts and set it for "0" pull.
After putting the lift on it I did just that 4 wheel alignment told the guy it pulled to the right
and to set it for 0 pull. If you don't ask them they cannot legally do it.

As for the lift, in or out of warranty, I did my in and had no problems or issues not even
with the ball joint recalls.

Just my 2 cents
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My alignment tech told me he was adjusting it to counteract the crown. Mine tracks straight .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:28 pm 
LOST Addict

counteract to crown?
falling asleep on wheel?
Legally pulling to a side?

none of them make sense to me. I was once told it should pull to the right so you don't collide with oncoming traffic.. So it is much better to mow a few pedestrians..
Crowns on the road is bothways if you are on the left lane, pulling left, on the right lane, pulling right. How can anyone adjust the pull against that?

Anyhow, if you go back to dealer enough times and ask them to adjust/correct it, they have to fix it. Tell them you will report them to consumer rights or whatever that place is in your state.

I got NO PULL whatsoever anymore. It goes by the crown on the road. The reason for crown is to collect water in rain storm and that debris gets flows to the side instead of remaining in middle of the road, nothing else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:02 pm 
LOST Member

Wow, and I thought mine had a slight pull due to a couple rough landings.........

Most of the posts are dead on. If you measure the front to rear distance on both left and right tires you will notice that there is a difference. And yes, it is designed to counteract the pull from the crown in the road. If you really want and watch the guy doing the alignement, he will set it to zero tragectory.

I know it's a pisser-offer but my concern is with tire wear. If I get even tire wear then I know that it's pulling just because of road irregularities.

Surco Roof Rack
Surco Spare Tire Bike Rack
Garmin Map 76 GPS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great. Mine pulls to the right now after about 70k. Didn't do it previously. I'm gonna bring it in for an alignment, not mention the pull to the right, then if it does it after the alignment I'll go back and tell them "Gee, it didn't do that before you aligned it, guess you gotta fix it now." :wink:

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:46 am 
mine didn't pull until the tards at the dealership replaced the balljoints under recall...and i had to fight to get them BOTH replaced!

it's $10 to do an employee alignment at my work and I need new rubber anyway, so it's one of those "big deal" things to me...I sure as hell don't those monkies at the stealership touchin my Jeep again (and for that, I'm kinda glad it's outta warranty)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
mine didn't pull until the tards at the dealership replaced the balljoints under recall...and i had to fight to get them BOTH replaced!

it's $10 to do an employee alignment at my work and I need new rubber anyway, so it's one of those "big deal" things to me...I sure as hell don't those monkies at the stealership touchin my Jeep again (and for that, I'm kinda glad it's outta warranty)

SAME HERE!!! Dealer messed it up when replacing the LBJ's. They always denied it was their fault. Eventually my tires started wearing uneven. Well I got a lift with new tires and an alignment => PROBLEM SOLVED