It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing spare tire carrier
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can someone please tell me how to remove the 4 bolts from the spare tire carrier? I can remove the spare tire and the actual carrier itself but the 4 bolts and the black strips of metal remain. I saw a post that said use vise grips and turn and they should come off but when i turn all i am doing is tearing the bolts up. I also have an E torx and torx sockets and tried removing them with them and can't seem to get them to budge. Should i remove the panel off the inside of the hatch and go from the inside? Is there something else i can try? My KJ is an 03 so they have been there awhile but thought they should at least budge after awhile of me messing with them.

THanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tighten the vise-grips more,those 4 studs are thread locked in there and can be very stubborn to remove.Your not going to save them studs either so don't remove unless you do not plan on re-using them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Your not going to save them studs either so don't remove unless you do not plan on re-using them.

That's good to know. That was my problem. I was trying to not ruin the bolts.

I have been removing my spare tire everytime i wanted to tow something because the spare tire hangs too far over the hitch that it makes it pretty difficult to hook up a trailer.

Are those bolts replaceable if i decide later that i have to have a spare tire there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:11 pm 
LOST Addict

I got 2 numbers

STUD:Repair Outside Spare Tire Carrie

06507016AA
06507623AA

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:32 am 
LOST Member

HI Digger Freek,
I'm new to the site so sorry for delays but there is so mouch great stuff to read here.

I am in Australia and have the max rated receiver (2 800kg) fitted to my 2.8 CRD KJ. Also, the dealer supplied an extra long ball carrier so I would not have to wear your problem with the spare. It tows 2 horse trailer easily and coupling up is not a great issue with the spare in place.
Suspension is not particularly distressed by this extra leverage and tows fine.
It is also a tad easier to reverse given less exaggeration of steering movements with the extra distance from the the hitch centre.......the shorter the hitch the harder it is to reverse - any time on agricultural tractors will confirm.

Best of luck.
Auberon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

03Cactus wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Your not going to save them studs either so don't remove unless you do not plan on re-using them.

That's good to know. That was my problem. I was trying to not ruin the bolts.

I have been removing my spare tire everytime i wanted to tow something because the spare tire hangs too far over the hitch that it makes it pretty difficult to hook up a trailer.

Are those bolts replaceable if i decide later that i have to have a spare tire there?

you can always flip the tire carrier around it will give u a inch or two between the hitch and spare. or just get an extended arm hitch or a longer drop...

other mods coming soon...

Post subject: Re: Removing spare tire carrier
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:34 pm 
LOST Member

I used a regular 4 corner socket on mine and it worked perfectly fine. I bought these fancy torx ones and didnt realize when it got down to that size the sockets went back to the regular 4 point socket. mine came out perfectly