It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gas Gauge Puzzle??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:02 am 
LOST Junkie

I've begun to doubt the accuracy of my gas gauge. I'm not sure when it began but lately I've noticed that sometimes after I fill up my 04 Liberty that the gas gauge doesn't read completely full. It seems to settle just below the "F". Has anybody had experience with a flaky gas gauge?

We all know how difficult it is to fill the Liberty without overfilling it. I always wait for the pump to "jump" and don't add another drop for fear of over filling it.

The manual states the gas tank holds approximately 74 liters (19.5 US gallons) but the most I've ever put into my Liberty is 61 liters (16 US gallons). I've never run out of gas and typically fill it shortly after the warning lamp comes on.

I've read a service manual and it appears that if there's no access panel above the gas tank I'll have to drop the tank to gain access to the fuel sender unit to troubleshoot it. Do you suppose it's a bad ground at the sending unit?

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:00 am 
LOST Junkie

C'mon, somebody else must have had a similar problem to mine.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge Puzzle??
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:52 am 
Master of the Blender

I doubt you'll be able to rectify this - my '03 does the same thing, as far as I know it has done it since I first purchased it (used) 100K miles ago.
LibertyFever wrote:
I've read a service manual and it appears that if there's no access panel above the gas tank I'll have to drop the tank to gain access to the fuel sender unit to troubleshoot it. Do you suppose it's a bad ground at the sending unit?

There is an access opening above the sender unit/fuel pump but in order to get to it you'll need to drill out the rivets that hold the two tie-downs in place in the back corners of the cargo carpet, then you can lift the carpet and see the cover. In order to get the actual cover out you will need to take a hot-air gun to the sealing compound that covers the bolts and the joint between the cover and the bottom panel of the cargo area, then remove the bolts (10mm IIRC) and lift/pry the cover up. I did this when I was trying to reduce the noise that the fuel pump puts out in the HF/CB frequencies when I had my ham radio HF antenna mounted on the tailgate - I wound up drilling a hole in the front left fender and putting in a ball mount for my HF antenna.

In the long run it may just be easier and faster to drop the tank to see what is going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:12 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for your input guys.
This week I learned that my Libby's extended service contract has expired. I guess my Libby's maintenance is all my responsibility now :cry:
Maybe I'll drop the gas tank and look at the fuel sender unit when I put the gas tank skidplate on.

On the plus side, the Powertrain warranty is still valid until 2011 or 115,000 kms.

my trail queen

Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge Puzzle??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:26 pm 
LOST Member

LibertyFever wrote:
I've begun to doubt the accuracy of my gas gauge. I'm not sure when it began but lately I've noticed that sometimes after I fill up my 04 Liberty that the gas gauge doesn't read completely full. It seems to settle just below the "F". Has anybody had experience with a flaky gas gauge?

We all know how difficult it is to fill the Liberty without overfilling it. I always wait for the pump to "jump" and don't add another drop for fear of over filling it.

The manual states the gas tank holds approximately 74 liters (19.5 US gallons) but the most I've ever put into my Liberty is 61 liters (16 US gallons). I've never run out of gas and typically fill it shortly after the warning lamp comes on.

Have the same issue ,witch is not a issue ,Dealer told me that the way it is. just below the FULL. And when the pump stop at the station it means your tank is full.
also the needle doesn't go back to EMPTY in a linear way meaning that mid way your not having exactly a half tank of fuel.
And when the low fuel light kicks in you still have 20 Liters of fuel left in the tank.

Post subject: RE: Gas Gauge Puzzle??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 am 
LOST Junkie

My gas gauge issue in now intermittent. Sometimes when I fill the tank the fuel gauge needle reaches F and sometimes it doesn't. It's not that big if an issue to me, I've never run out of gas (yet).

Likely it's an electrical grounding problem.

Sent from my HTC cell phone using Board Express

my trail queen