It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front Wheel Bearing Replacement Costs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:26 am 
LOST Junkie

Every year when I take my 04 Liberty in for it's required Motor Vehicle Inspection (MVI) I get a nasty surprise. Last year it failed because of bad shocks. This year it almost failed because of a failing front wheel bearing.

I didn't think much of it because I've replaced a few wheel bearings on a Dana 30 axle on my YJ and they cost about $110 CAD. I was surprised to learn NAPA's replacement cost for my Libby's wheel bearing would be $355 CAD :shock: And that's for the non-ABS model too. Are they expense everywhere else too?

I wonder if I could fit a YJ bearing assembly on a Liberty's Dana30A axle :|

probably not...

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The cheapest I've seen listed is RockAuto ~$200 US
http://www.rockauto.com/

I think the dealerships are in the $300+ range

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Its a unit bearing. all one unit, not individual bearing sets. Its non-servicable that's why it cost so much.

Wow you have some really in depth inspections. :shock:

Where I live, we have to pass an emissions test every couple of years, but no other inspections. You can be cited by the police for unsafe vehicle, like broken lights and turn signals, and you must wear seat belts, but pretty much anything that can driven is ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:05 pm 
LOST Member

wow, where do you live and why would you need a yearly inspection? Must be another Government scam

Aries 1051 black grille guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

You have to get yearly inspections here in NC.

BDS Coils/BDS 5500 Shocks/15x8 Cragar Soft 8's/31x10.5xR15 MTR
Teraflex Bumpstops/Rear Bumpstops/Trimmed Bumper

http://murphyman1.mybrute.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

I've shopped around and have found that a "unit bearing" assembly with a lifetime warranty costs $355 CAD while a one year warranty costs $255 CAD.

I may curse the yearly MVI's but really they simply insure that every car/truck that I pass on the highway is roadworthy and won't drift into my lane or plow into the back of me at a stop light.

In our province, New Brunswick, and in neighboring Nova Scotia there are drastic changes being proposed regarding lifted vehicles that may make all of them outlawed, imagine! I believe Nova Scotia is moving to a system that requires an MVI every two years and in Quebec a MVI is only required when you sell a vehicle.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Murphyman wrote:
You have to get yearly inspections here in NC.

I didnt know they did yearly inspections in NC. :? Well there goes that theroy lol

Lost#095309
KJ-Lifted, skidded,31's,MT sidebiters
TJ- 33's 4" lift
ZJ-4"on 33's-SOLD
YJ-New toy-Bone stock!
PA JEEPS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here in Pennsyltucky, we have yearly vehicle & emission inspections. I am for it (maybe not the emissions, the newer vehicles are much cleaner than what was on the road 20 years ago) for the same reason as previously mentioned, keeps the junk off the road. I have a good shop, he does the work & will forewarn me if necessary of potential problems. I forget how long ago it was, but around 20+ years ago, it was BI-YEARLY!!! What a pain that was!!! Oh yeah, we also have a under 5k mile emission exemption, so 2 (have 3)vehicles avoid that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

The yearly inspections really ticked me off when I was getting my driver's license. Just turned 16, so I went to the DMV at 8am when it opened, and there was a line out the door. Waited for about 2 hours, and then we went out to my step-dad's Grand Cherokee to get it ready for the driving exam. Well, the inspection had expired, so the guy told me and walked right back inside...

So we took it to get inspected, about 5 miles away. One of the rear tail lights had a small crack in it. He told me we needed to get a new plastic cover for it. GREAT. So we drove to the closest Jeep dealership, about 15 miles away, and they made us buy a complete new light forlike $100 or so. Jeez.

So we drove another 15 miles back, got it inspected for $30, and drove another 5 miles back to the DMV. Then we had to go wait at the DMV for another hour and a half for me to take my 5 minute driving exam. My day started at 8am, ended around 4pm.

So in conclusion... I hate the yearly inspections. It might prevent some poor VEHICLES from being on the road, but it in no way prevents stupid DRIVERS from slamming into me at a red light.

BDS Coils/BDS 5500 Shocks/15x8 Cragar Soft 8's/31x10.5xR15 MTR
Teraflex Bumpstops/Rear Bumpstops/Trimmed Bumper

http://murphyman1.mybrute.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

Here's an update for you guys.

I managed to find a replacement "unit bearing" assembly with a lifetime warranty for $300 CAD taxes included. Before I could install it I had an appointment with my dealership for a routine oil & filter change. While in the garage I asked them to look at my front unit bearings. Guess what, they said that they are fine & don't need replacement :? I'm beginning to doubt the competency of the garage that did my MVI and recommended the replacement of the unit bearing. Time to find a new garage.

By the way I've already returned the new unit bearing that I had bought. I can use that $300 somewhere else on my Libby...maybe towards new tires :roll:

my trail queen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 pm 
LOST Member

I found the whole hub assembly for $250 at Advance Autop here in colorado. I aint that rich, I was just gonna get one off a scrap liberty that was on craigslist. Then I balanced and rotated my tyres today and the issues I was having kinda disappeared!! I HATE TRYING TO DIAGNOSE KJ PROBLEMS!!!! Everytime I begin to think its one thing, it turns out to be something totally different. This time it turned out to be something much simpler and less costly. But I feel really stoopid tho :roll: :oops:

Installed-Frankenlifted II Premie w/ daystar spacer in rear, Tow hooks, Mopar skids, Dura-Tracs on Soft 8's, amsoil lubricants in everything, weather tech mats, RRO UCA's, RRO rock rails(bought but not installed...YET). I know I am missing something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Douglas Jeep in Venice Florida sells the unit hub bearings for 99.00/ea. Thats where I have gotten 2 of them from. These are genuine mopar parts. They even warranty them like any other dealer should even though its mail order.