It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front & Rear Brake Job & Rotor Installation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:06 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Question/Problem
This document will help you in doing a brake job or Rotor replacment at home with a few simple tools.

DISCLAIMER: Your brakes are a vital safety feature of your Jeep and you should consider professional installation of these components. These instructions are being provided as instructional/informational and L.O.S.T, AZ L.O.S.T., and any officer or member associated is not responsible for your decision to use these directions. We do however strive to make sure that these instructions are as accurate as possible and are specific to a Jeep Liberty.

Answer/Resolution

Before your begin:

Tools Needed
Standard 3/8" Drive Socket wrench
Standard 1/2" Drive Socket Wrench
12mm socket 3/8"
13mm socket 3/8"
22mm socket 1/2" (can be done with 3/8" drive Socket wrench I found this gave me more force to get the bolt loose)
Rubber Mallet
Brake Caliper Compression tool / or a large C clamp
Small Flat Head Screwdriver
Floor Jack
Jack Stands

Parts Needed:
New front brake Pads
New Rear brake Pads
New Front Rotors (if changing)
New Rear Rotors (if changing)
3 - 4 Cans of brake Cleaner (more or less depending on how dirty the components are)

Front brake/Rotor replacement

1. Take Cap off of the brake reservoir so that it will allow the break fluid to go back into the reservoir while compressing the piston on the caliper
2. Jack the front of the jeep up so that both front tires are off the ground, place Jack stands under front of jeep on the frame (don't put them on the lower A ARM for this application)
3. Remove both Front Tires to expose brake assembly (see figure 1)
4. Using 12mm Socket and 3/8" drive socket wrench remove the two bolts from the rear of the caliper (see figure 1)

FIG 1

5. Pull up on Caliper to remove from the Rotor (after removing the caliper, take care not to allow the brake line/hose to support the weight you can temporarily tie them off to the steering knuckle, etc. with a small piece of rope)
6. Remove old pads (take care to not remove metal clips or replace them if they come out during the brake pad removal. These are on the end of each brake pad)

If you are only replacing your brake pads now skip to Step 12

7. Using the 1/2" drive Socket wrench and the 22mm socket remove the two bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the jeep. (See figure 2)

Fig 2

8. Remove Caliper bracket from jeep (see figure 3)

Fig 3

9. Remove metal clips that may be present on the wheel studs I used a flat head screw driver to remove them (they dont need to be replaced)(see figure 10), then using rubber mallet tap gently on the rear of the rotor and it will pop loose (heavy part so remove slowly and don't drop) (the Center Nut does not hold the rotor on) (see figure 4)

Fig 4

10. Slide new rotor on (if using slotted or cross drilled rotors as I did consult manufacture for proper direction for installation, I had mine installed so that they appear to be rotating towards the rear) (see figure 5)

FIG 5

11. Replace caliper bracket by placing the 22mm Bolts back in and tighten them back down
12. Using the Caliper compression tool or C Clamp compress the piston completely into the caliper (see figure 6 for what the piston looks like)

FIG 6

13. Insert the new brake pads into the caliper bracket and then slide caliper back into place SPECIAL NOTE: if you are not replacing your rotors before putting your new pads in you should first take off the rotors and take them to a local brake/machine shop and have them resurfaced.
14. Insert 12mm bolts and tighten them back on.
15. Once everything is reassembled use the brake cleaner to completely clean the entire area rotate rotor slightly to get behind the new pads.
16. Redo Steps 4 - 15 for other side of jeep.
17. Place front tires back on.

Rear brake/Rotor replacement

1. Jack rear of jeep using rear pumpkin jacking point and place jack stands onto frame or rear axel tubes of the jeep (take care to make sure that you are always looking out for safty even with jack stands in place)
2. Remove rear tires on both sides to expose rear brake assembly (see figure 7)

FIG 7

3. Using 13mm socket and 3/8" drive socket wrench to remove both bolts on the rear of the rear caliper (see figure 8 )

FIG 8

4. Remove Metal clip that is on top of the rotor by pressing ends inwards (SEE FIGURE 9)

FIG 9

5. Slide up and remove caliper from rotor. (after removing the caliper, take care not to allow the brake line/hose to support the weight you can temporarily tie them off to the steering knuckle, etc. with a small piece of rope)

If only replacing brake pads skip to step 9

6. Remove metal clips that may be present on the wheel studs I used a flat head screw driver to remove them (see figure 10)

FIG 10

6. Using rubber mallet tap gently on rear of old rotor to loosen up remove slowly as this is heavy part.
7. This will expose the E-brake Pads (see figure 11)

FIG 11

8. Place new rotor on to wheel studs (If slotted or cross drilled rotors are used consult manufacture for proper direction) I installed them with the pattered pointing towards the rear of the Jeep (see Figure 12)

FIG 12

9. Remove old brake pads you will have to push forward and up to remove the first one (see figure 13)

FIG 13

10. Using rotor compression tool or large C Clamp compress rotor piston completely in.
11. Place new pads into placement
12. Slide caliper and pads onto the rotor by first putting the bottom of the rotor in and sliding the top into place. SPECIAL NOTE: if you are not replacing your rotors before putting your new pads in you should first take off the rotors and take them to a local brake/machine shop and have them resurfaced.
13. Replace 13mm bolts and tighten on.
14. Replace metal clip on top of rotor (see fig 9)
15. Once everything is reassembled use the brake cleaner to completely clean the entire area rotate rotor slightly to get behind the new pads.
16. Repeat steps 3 - 15 on other side.
17. Put rear tires back on.

FINAL STEPS

1. Place brake reservoir lid back on.
2. Start Jeep and pump brakes several times until the pressure is back to what you are used to.
3. Start off by going very slow applying the brake to make sure that you have complete brake control
4. Once satisfied with braking power drive jeep normally.

Edited by corwyyn to update image locations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What about changing the rear drums on an '02 to disc brakes? Can it be down?

'07 Ltd 3.7L, Black, OME HD's, OME shocks, Mopar Skids, AEV Bridgers w/ TPMS, Kumho KL78's, ARB Bumper, KC 130 Watters, Warn M8000 Winch, Rock Lizard Gecko Roof Basket KC 150 watters, Cobra 75WSX, 3 ft FireFly, RL Super Step Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ditto on Woodys question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:33 pm 
Master of the Blender

I imagine it could be done, you'd need to get all the hardware (mounting plates, calipers, etc) off of a rear that has the disc brakes. Might be easier to just swap in a rear axle with everything already on it (unless you have a locker or something that would need to be transferred).

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:58 pm 
Master of the Blender

Just did the front brakes and rotors on mine, not too difficult. On my '03 the bolts for the caliper bracket were 21mm, not the 22mm from Dan's post. Not sure if they changed it, but there it is.

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:19 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

can we get the photos back on that thread i am just about to replace my front and rear pads and rotors

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hopefully the OP won't mind, but I saved the HTML of the write-up awhile back and had all the picture files. I have re-posted them below in the order they appear in the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:50 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics, make a write up and for posting it all here.

I'm in the middle of the same job and I'm having difficulty removing the rear rotors. I now see that there aren't any missing clips to be removed, I just need a bigger hammer :lol:

I have a couple of questions about your choice of slotted rotors. Why did you choose to go with them? Aren't they better suited for race cars than offroad vehicles? Do you notice better braking performance with them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:28 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

thanks for resurrecting this thread it helped me with my brake rotor and pad replacement

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=32010

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:08 pm 
LOST Member

Excellent write up !! I just did my brakes for the first time and this made it a breeze :D

81' CJ5 Renegade with the Iron Duke, 2.5" Rusty's lift, JKS disconnects, Weber carb

RIP : 04 Liberty Sport Patriot Blue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Good write up.
The only thing I caution about is using drilled/slotted rotors for genreal everyday use, they were designed for racing. They can be proned to cracking and should be regularly checked for stress. I have a few friends who used some on DD camaros/firebirds and ended up switching back to std off the shelf rotors.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Also the front caliper mount bolts take a 21mm socket and not the 22mm socket listed.Also no need to remove the master cylinder cap to push pistons back into the calipers,leaving the brake fluid exposed only deteriorates it real fast,it's like every minute brake fluid is exposed to air it looses about 5degrees in it's boiling point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:40 am 
LOST Junkie

I think that brake fluid is the most neglected fluid in your vehicle. Nobody ever checks it until they lose their brakes.

There's a Saturday morning TV program named "Trucks" I think that showed a product used to test the condition of your brake fluid. It was sort of a litmus paper test.

I'm surprised that brake fluid would deteriorate so quickly when exposed to air. I did know that it will eat the paint finish off of your fenders. What can bad brake fluid cause besides a lower boiling point? do you suppose it could deteriorate the seals in the master cylinder & individual brake cylinders?

(sorry for hi-jacking this thread guys :oops: )

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:37 am 
LOST Member

good write up made my brakes a breeze thanks again

Mopar hooks and Skids
BDS lift
dynomax super turbo

Post subject: Re: Front & Rear Brake Job & Rotor Installation
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the great write up. It made doing my breaks quite easy. I would suggesting editing the original post to correct the 22mm socket to 21mm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:31 pm 
aka Debbie

Thanks for the guide. Changed mine this morning. Got Napa adaptive one pads and ultra-premium rotors.

I had to compress the piston before removing the caliper from the rotor, not after.
No way it was coming off before I compressed it.
Really threw me for a loop since I'm a major amateur when it comes to this stuff.
Used an 8'' C-clamp to compress it.

Some other steps I added were to lube the caliper slide bolts with silicone brake grease, lube the back plate of the brake pads, and I stopped at the tire store and had my tires torqued correctly after I was done. I read somewhere you may get warped rotors if the tires are not torqued to spec.

I also followed some driving/braking instructions I found for breaking in the pads correctly. There were a few different versions, so I just picked one that didn't sound overly complicated.

Mopar Skids, Tow Hooks

Last edited by JohnnyCash on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the write up, they always make things easier. Question tho and perhaps I missed it or maybe its because I'm new to Jeep's, but I never noticed it mentioned about bleeding the brakes?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:44 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

zammer wrote:
Thanks for the write up, they always make things easier. Question tho and perhaps I missed it or maybe its because I'm new to Jeep's, but I never noticed it mentioned about bleeding the brakes?

You want to know how, or just why he left it out of the writeup?

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

BVCRD wrote:
zammer wrote:

You want to know how, or just why he left it out of the writeup?

Why it was left out. like I mentioned I'm new to Jeeps and was just wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:25 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Probably because it's not part of the procedure. You can bleed them also once you're done, but it's not required.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?