It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ARB questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I purchased a rear ARB locker in my 2002 Liberty less than a year ago and on my last trip to Moab my compressor started running more and more often. I checked and there are no leaks in the hoses or connections. When the compressor is running and I climb under my differential I hear an air leak and smell gear oil. I sprayed the hoses with soapy water and no bubbles.

My search on the internet makes me think the differential seals are leaking.

Is this normal to have the seals leak in less than a year?
Should I purchase a 3 year warranty (for $350) to cover this problem in the future or is this a rare event and I just got lucky.

SanDiegoDave Member #270
2002 3.7L V6 Liberty 4X4 Steel Blue
Skids, Rock rails, Roof Rack, ARB rear Air Locker
Rancho RSX front struts and rear shocks
K&N air intake, Flowmaster 50 series muffler
2.5” Old Man Emu spring lift front
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject: Re: ARB questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

sandiegodave wrote:
I purchased a rear ARB locker in my 2002 Liberty less than a year ago and on my last trip to Moab my compressor started running more and more often. I checked and there are no leaks in the hoses or connections. When the compressor is running and I climb under my differential I hear an air leak and smell gear oil. I sprayed the hoses with soapy water and no bubbles.

Should I purchase a 3 year warranty (for $350) to cover this problem in the future or is this a rare event and I just got lucky.
yep sounds like the o-rings started leaking.It's not a uncommon problem with ARB's,a tiny nick when installed is the most common cause for early failure.The parts are cheap and I find it hard to see any good offroad/gear shop charging very much to replace them in a 8.25 since there are no shims to mess with,if they have messed with ARB's before at least.The fix should only take about 30-60mins at most.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:40 pm 
All J Products Lifetime Vendor
All J Products Lifetime Vendor

sandiegodave wrote:

99% of all the problems we have seen with ARB lockers are install related. If the backlash wasn't set right the sealhousing can spin and break off the tubes on a 8.25. I've had ARB's in my TJ for 10 years without any issues. My gear guy has 14 years on his front ARB without issue :)

1968 Jeep M715
2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4 door JK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

The 2 offroad service shops in town said it's over 3 hours labor to replace the seals. I wish they would let me watch the replair.

SanDiegoDave Member #270
2002 3.7L V6 Liberty 4X4 Steel Blue
Skids, Rock rails, Roof Rack, ARB rear Air Locker
Rancho RSX front struts and rear shocks
K&N air intake, Flowmaster 50 series muffler
2.5” Old Man Emu spring lift front
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

sandiegodave wrote:
The 2 offroad service shops in town said it's over 3 hours labor to replace the seals. I wish they would let me watch the replair.

I know it is a drive but I bet the shop up in Big Bear would let you watch, They like Jeep voyeurs. :shock: (not sure what they would quote you on repair time though)

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

sandiegodave wrote:
3 hours to replace those 2 o-rings :shock: ?

There no setting up of any shims,it's to simple and the only thing needed to be checked is the backlash since the carrier needs to be removed then reinstalled.Can't see any good(<key word) gear guy taking more then 1 hour to change those 0-rings in a 8.25,now a Ford 9" is can see 3+ hours and some other diffs,but not a 8.25.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am installing a front ARB air locker tommorow, anyone else have one who can share experiences good or bad with it? My rack and pinion took a crap so I am pulling that out at the same time.

'03 Liberty Renegade: Jet Module, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Muffler, Poweraid TBS, Rockfather II Deluxe 3" Lift Kit with Insane Arms, Terraflex Bumpstops, Moog ball joints, ARB Air Lockers front and rear, Bull Bumper, R.R.O. Supersliders, Pro-Comp Wheels wrapped in 265-75 BFG Mudders, THULE roof rack, Custom Audio/Video system and a lead foot!