It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STUCK IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE...BUMMER
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys. I joined a few weeks back when I picked up a 2006 CRD sport for a light-duty tow rig and daily driver. I love the thing. I've got two problems with it. One needs attention, the other is just plain annoying.
The bad one is that it is stuck in 2 wheel drive. It is equipped with the 242 case (full time 4wd). The failure occurred after using low range to park my car hauler and decouple. My girlfriend then jumped in and pulled forward. She slid it back in 2wd at 2-3 mph (coasting in neutral) and parked. Now the lever feels bound. It moves an inch and makes a light clunk where it would normally go into 4wd, but will go no further. I jacked up the rear end and had her pull gently on the handle while I used a prybar on the lever at the t-case. Just a bit of movement, a light clunk, and a return to its normal position. I also tried this while rotating the rear drive shaft with no change. The actuation lever on the side of the case looks kind of wimpy. It could be that it is bent slightly (although it looks fine). I used to own a Cherokee with I think the same full-time case and remember it too felt like garbage when I put through the various ranges. I've got to assume this is a pattern failure and hopefully someone out there knows how to fix it. Ironically, I will likely wind up pulling the trans/t-case to install an upgraded torque converter. F-37 sux and GDE HOT seems to be the answer but not till I'm caught up on maintenance stuff.

The other problem is with the little tractor engine. It makes a really irritating squeak/chirp sound at idle. Worse in drive at 0mph and even worse when loaded by turning on the AC. It immediately goes away when I give it some fuel. The PO said the sound has been there for years and no one can figure out what it is. The timing belt was just changed including idlers, but he said they didn't change the timing tensioner. It was his opinion that it was coming from this tensioner but I don't necessarily believe him because he called it a "piston type" tensioner and from the diagram it looks like a regular old tensioner...not reliable intel. A year ago he changed the AC compressor because a tech "diagnosed" it noise as coming from there. The thing runs like a (neutered) champ, it's more embarrassing than anything. Has anyone run across this scenario???
I'm quite mechanically inclined and should be able to attempt/fix it so send me your wisdom or funny story of failure.
Thanks a lot.
Paul

Paul Dudley #42
There are no accidents; only collisions

Post subject: Re: STUCK IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE...BUMMER
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

You squeaking is most likely your alternator decoupler pulley. Pull the cap and check for red dust. If you have lots and or can verify the noise from there replace it. Common issue.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Wolverine, I appreciate the input. That is not the case however. I pulled off the cap today and there was very little red dust. Additionally it sounds like the noise is coming from a little deeper in. My plan of attack was to take off the accessory belt and fire it up to listen for noise. Whoever did the timing belt job must have been high on spinach, cause I can't make the fan nut budge.
The lack of four wheel drive the my real concern. It goes just fine in 2wd, which tells me the case itself is likely alright. Are the shift forks on this case a weak point???

Paul Dudley #42
There are no accidents; only collisions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The 242 transfer case shifter pushes against a spring and the spring pushes the gear collar.
if there's any mismatch front to rear - tire sizes, wear, air pressure - the collar won't slide and it won't go into 4wd - no matter what the selector says.

you can generally get to 4wd fulltime - because that keeps the differential action front to rear - but not part time or 4 low.

also the linkage isn't great - and it can wear and be misaligned too - I haven't had the problem but several other folks have.