It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:35 pm 
LOST Member

anybody find out if there is a breather for the manual tranny?

Chris

Auburn LSD
Lots of other goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:48 am 
LOST Addict

GPR65 wrote:
anybody find out if there is a breather for the manual tranny?

Chris

I didn't look yet, but I will take a quick peak when I'm under there installing my lift in a couple weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:01 am 
LOST Addict

My 2002 KJ Parts Catalog shows two manual trannies: Group 3550 and Group NV1500.

On page 280 it shows item #11, Vent. The vent is located directly on top, just behind the bell housing. It doesn't show a vent tube. It appears to just vent up an inch or so and that's it.

For comparison, I looked back at the automatic. Now my CD is from 2002, so it's showing the 45RFE. It shows the vent, AND lists a vent tube and part number. Also interesting to note, is that is shows the vent tube just running along the tranny top and stopping. It doesn't show it running up to the engine bay like my 2003 42RFE tranny does. Maybe that's why Ted blew his tranny when in water.

So yes, your manual has a vent and it appears to be in need of extending!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3199258

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:49 pm 
LOST Addict

I finished extending the other two breathers. Reaching that tube that's along the tranny dipstick tube is NOT easy! Scratched up my arms. But I got it.

A KJ friend of ours just had his done while it was in the shop. He had a GREAT idea that I promised to share here. In fact, I'll edit the first post and include it there as well.

He extended the breathers all the way to the airbox. First he merged the lines, then ran only one tube into the box and sealed it up nice and tight. I hope to see it next month and will take pics. I assume they drilled a small hole and then siliconed around it when done.

His theory is that when he gets a snorkel, he'll be MUCH more prepared for the wet stuff.

Oh, and the mechanic used a part available for Marine applications for the end of the hose. It's some sort of end that greatly reduces the liklihood of water going down the tube, even if submerged for a short time. I'm going to check that out too!

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Still haven't found marine breathers. What I saw was simply marine specific clips to attach the breathers right at the air cleaners.

But I came across this and wanted to share the tips:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/water_crossing/

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well i though i would throw this out there...

I found what i believe to be the transmission breather on my jeep. If it is indeed the tranny breather i really dont think there is much i can do...

Take a look for yourself. Both these pictures are on the drivers side of the engine and the camera is being held almost right between the battery and the engine.

The black part is the back firewall.

This picture is almost the same just zoomed in.

Let me know what you think.

-Nick

Lost lifetime member - NB060402 -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:56 am 
LOST Addict

Interesting. You have an 02, so that's the tricky year. Even my friend's mechanic couldn't find his breather on the 02.

What you pictured is DEFINITELY a breather tube of some type. It's got the end that's on all of mine. It's got a little grease around it which is normal.

Now, you say that the camera is between the battery and the engine. Is that the ground strap I see? And is that the black Valve cover on the left? If so, your breather is very close to mine, which is mounted on the head, just below the valve cover.

What I'd try if I were you, is to find that line somewhere midway that's more accessible. One thing to try might be to reach down along the back of the engine just like I did, but you'll have to get much further down. Or, you can try from underneath.

I just had another thought. All of these breathers are attached with a plastic snap-in type clip. Hmm, it's like a zip tie around the hose, with a plastic screw type end that snaps into a female hole on the mounting point. What I'm thinking is this: you might actually have more tubing that the newer KJ's, so if you can get a hand or something on the end pictured and pull it out of the female holder, you might have enough slack to route the hose up high enough to work on it (and extend it).

Just be carefull not to drop it or to pull it out of its mounting on the other end. Maybe take some stiff wire or a hanger and get it down and around the tube before you start so you can fish it out once you break it free.

Either way, clearly it's the lowest breather on you KJ! Get it up!

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AdamIsAdam wrote:
Interesting. You have an 02, so that's the tricky year. Even my friend's mechanic couldn't find his breather on the 02.

What you pictured is DEFINITELY a breather tube of some type. It's got the end that's on all of mine. It's got a little grease around it which is normal.

Now, you say that the camera is between the battery and the engine. Is that the ground strap I see?
yes

And is that the black Valve cover on the left?
and yes

If so, your breather is very close to mine, which is mounted on the head, just below the valve cover.

What I'd try if I were you, is to find that line somewhere midway that's more accessible. One thing to try might be to reach down along the back of the engine just like I did, but you'll have to get much further down. Or, you can try from underneath.

I just had another thought. All of these breathers are attached with a plastic snap-in type clip. Hmm, it's like a zip tie around the hose, with a plastic screw type end that snaps into a female hole on the mounting point. What I'm thinking is this: you might actually have more tubing that the newer KJ's, so if you can get a hand or something on the end pictured and pull it out of the female holder, you might have enough slack to route the hose up high enough to work on it (and extend it).

Just be carefull not to drop it or to pull it out of its mounting on the other end. Maybe take some stiff wire or a hanger and get it down and around the tube before you start so you can fish it out once you break it free.

Either way, clearly it's the lowest breather on you KJ! Get it up!

I will definitely try and do something i think i would have tried to get a little more down there but the engine was still a little warm and i really didnt feel comfortable laying on the radiator/grill. I think i will have to find a way to get over the engine from the side...

I hope this will help other people w/ my year figure this out. By the location i would think even some mud or even slight water puddles could get up there and get in there...

hmmm, i think a tranny flush will be soon than i think!:evil:

Thanks adam!

-Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:51 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

we have been having this discussion on an aussie jeep site

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59090

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Does anybody have any specific type of hose and barbed connectors they recommend? I noticed AdamIsAdam used SAE 30R7 fuel line. Do these tubes need to handle up to any specific temperature? I can get 25 feet of 30R6 on eBay for $8.00. Did you guys just use plastic double barbed joiners? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:42 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

SD--- You found the elusive breather!!!!

That is the breather for the 45RFE... Kinda Stupid isn't it! Mine never had the short stick out tube or any sign of one when it was dassassembled... Thus I still stand by that mine never had one from the factory. If you can get to it, and you want a pre assembled breather assembly buy the one for the T-case ($8.00 at Dealer), pull it off, and then insert the Tcase breather assembly, then I routed my hose up to the top of the Firewall by the Cowel plate. Like I said, either you need the hands and arms of a 5 year old or drop the Tranny. Sorry, no easy way on the 45 RFE. Exept to have someone else do it while they rebuild it. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, I just ordered some 5/16 in. brass barb connectors and mini hose clamps:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/barb.html
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/clamps.html

I'm going to grab some cheap 30R6 fuel hose on eBay and let you know how it goes. BTW, I just edited this post, I decided brass with hose clamps would be better than plastic with tie wraps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AAARGH!!! I cant find the tranny breather on my 02. I tried looking between the battery and engine towards the firewall, I tried reaching up over the tranny bell housing, I tried reaching behind the header on the driver side...I cant find it! Anybody have a parts manual with the schematics for the 45RFE and where the breather attaches? I heard right where the dipstick enters the tranny, but I have wires there, not a hose?? I found the other 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DaveKJ02 wrote:
AAARGH!!! I cant find the tranny breather on my 02. I tried looking between the battery and engine towards the firewall, I tried reaching up over the tranny bell housing, I tried reaching behind the header on the driver side...I cant find it! Anybody have a parts manual with the schematics for the 45RFE and where the breather attaches? I heard right where the dipstick enters the tranny, but I have wires there, not a hose?? I found the other 3.

Man its tough, but you have to stand right in front of the drivers side headlight and look right down between the firewall and the engine. You will need a flashlight or shoplight.

-Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm right there with you DaveKJ02! I am going back out there after a few beers to look again for the tranny breather ~ maybe I'll have better luck cross-eyed! :shock:

L.O.S.T #000234
2002 KJ Sport
245/75R16 Goodyear MTRs (And 245/75R16 Winter Duellers...)
Rustys Coil Lift, tiny clevis lift
Rock rails, All J Super II Skid, Poison Spyder ring
Some armor...and need some more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:20 am 
LOST Addict

the 2002's aren't in the same spot. I haven't found them yet. I was feeling around on someone's 02 and couldn't find it!

And the shop manual doesn't show it.

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:39 pm 
LOST Member

I wish I would have know'n about all this a few months ago.......!

I just had the sensor go out in my rear end on my 02'(affecting the speedometer) and having to take it in to be fixed, due to the computer needing to be ajusted... People make sure you get this done, it's not cheep! they pop'd the plug in my rear dif. and it poured out like a milkshake... had no idea when it got filled with water..... but it shorted out my damb sensor and found out the hard way I need these breather tube extended! and thanks for the pic's people!(for locations) :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Oh man, that sucks.

I didn't know there was a sensor in the rear diff? That true?

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:34 pm 
LOST Member

thats what they said at the dealers..... couldn't hurt to call and ask.....i was thinking they were full of S...

said that the water in the rear dif. is what shorted out the sensor and something to do with the jeeps computer is why they do this at the dealers...not to sure........

but my speedometer, doesn't jump all over the place now or read 0 at 55mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:42 pm 
LOST Addict

That's the first I've ever heard of a sensor being in the rearend. I've heard there is one located on top, but can't remember it's function.

Were you there to see the water in your fluid? Because that rear breather tube is very high. Sounds like they may have pulled a fast one on ya.

Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next