It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winch and cable maintenance
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

What type of preventive maintenance do you do on your winch. ie . Do you lube cable with anything to prevent rust?

Post subject: Re: Winch and cable maintenance
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Yea its called Synethic line.....

Alot of the guys i ride with spray wd40, but any type of spray or lube is gonna attract dirt and mud

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep, I like the idea of synthetic. But I life in Sunny and very Sandy Florida. From what I have read both sun and sand are enemies of synthetic rope. Also the initial cost was lower with steel. I am very new to winching (never used one) so all I have to go by is what I have read on the interweb. Thanks for your reply

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:28 am 
LOST Junkie

I've been asking myself the same question y2k_TA. I haven't used my winch in years.

You could open the gearbox and examine it to see if the grease in it is still there.
I wouldn't open the electric motor. There's too many small pieces in there to lose.
And you could respool the wire rope. I like to attach my wire rope to a pole or tree and slowly winch my Jeep towards it while feeding the rope into the winch.
What winch do you have y2k_TA?

Wire rope has its pros & cons, so does synthetic rope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have the smittybilt xrp9.5. I took it apart the day I bought it to clock the mounting bracket. It seems to be built quite well and was already packed full of grease. It also has rubber gaskets for all mating surfaces. So far it has been pretty good.
I used it just the other day. It is not spooled up real tight right now, but it was tight before. I had done exactly what you said and will need to again to get it tight.

I had read that sand it terrible for synthetic rope. I live in Florida (Big Sandbox) so I chose wire for this reason.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

I live in south east texas and my wife is always down at the beach. The sun is just as bad as when i lived in the Keys. I use a "climbers rope sleeve" which is a 25ft rope guard. Keeps the sun off the rope. But yes sand is bad, but the 25ft rope guard helps keeps the sand off it all. Honestly i might of used my winch once on the beach. But i went for synethic after many years of dealing with rusted winch cable.

Heres hers. Its the smittybilt silver synthetic rope with the "raspberry sleeve"

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:12 am 
LOST Member

4x4kayak2112 wrote:
I live in south east texas and my wife is always down at the beach. The sun is just as bad as when i lived in the Keys. I use a "climbers rope sleeve" which is a 25ft rope guard. Keeps the sun off the rope. But yes sand is bad, but the 25ft rope guard helps keeps the sand off it all. Honestly i might of used my winch once on the beach. But i went for synethic after many years of dealing with rusted winch cable.

Heres hers. Its the smittybilt silver synthetic rope with the "raspberry sleeve"

You're a flippin' genius. Going to do that to my winch line. That'll also help with possible rock rash too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Used my winch on the beach for the first time last week. Pulled out some fool that left his 1 wheel wonder blazer parked too long as the tide came in. Watched him gas it till the rear end was buried. He was a dumb arse but I helped him anyway.....When I got home I pulled cable all the way out and gave it a fresh water wash down as I wound it back in.