It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E-Brake Repairs, 04 Liberty Sport (KJ)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:07 am 
LOST Junkie

During the annual vehicle inspection on my Liberty it became apparent that my rear brakes were shot. This was no surprise since I could see that the rear rotors were badly scored.
But besides the rotors a single brake caliber proved seized and that the e-brake was nonfunctional.

Replacing the rotors, shoes and caliber was easy, I've done it many times before but the e-brake was a challenge.

I was told I didn't have to replace the e-brake shoes but since I was replacing everything else I chose to replace the e-brake shoes too.
Here's what I found was my problem;
The e-brake cable attaches to a small lever which pivots between the e-brake shoes. The two small pieces were seized.
They aren't fastened together just fitted together.
It is possible to pry them apart without removing the e-brake cable, lubricate them with NeverSieze and reassemble them.

Then I reassembled the e-brake assembly, placed the rotor & caliber back on then installed the wheel.

Before removing the jack stands I had to adjust the e-brakes a lot before it would begin to grab. It's a knack, you adjust the e-brake until it just begins to grab then test the e-brake. You want the e-brake to work but you don't want it to cause the brake to drag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject: Re: E-Brake Repairs, 04 Liberty Sport (KJ)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

A job well done :-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk