It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6 Week Experience/Review
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have had my Cherokee for six weeks and about 1,200 trouble free miles.

I took it for a spin in the snow the evening of Jan 2 after several inches fell to test the FWD, 4 cylinder Latitude with Firestone Winterforce tires.

Cars were slipping and sliding and generally getting stuck everywhere. I drove down one street, a fairly steep hill. There was a truck (GMC) stuck off to the side. I circled around to approach from the opposite direction and now there where two SUVs stuck (a Ford couldn't make the climb). I came to a dead stop on the incline and waited for the Ford to turn around and then I proceeded to climb right up the hill. That earned a few stares.

Earlier, I passed a car going in the opposite direction trying to climb a hill at the end of my street. When I came back around a little later, the same car was off in the woods with one wheel up in the air. I stopped to offer aid, but the young lady assured me she was okay and that help was on the way. She was in a brand new Lexus sedan. Front bumper was ripped off and possibly the right front wheel damaged. She apparently made it up the hill, but didn't do to good on the downside and the 90 degree turn to the left at the bottom.

The next morning my wife and I had to depart early for our winter vacation in north central PA. By this time there was close to 8" of snow on the ground and the streets of Philly notoriously lousy. I had no trouble getting moving and up the hills. (Once I crossed out of city limits, the roads where much better.)

The trip was mostly highway driving. On hard packed snow or slushy roads at speed the Cherokee always kept moving along. The heater kept us warm as the outside temps dropped to the single digits and we cruised in comfort. MPG averaged mid 20s with my winter tires, steadily increasing elevation and our load of cargo.

In the higher elevations, the 2.4 L engine took us up the moutains with ease. On the twisting back roads it handled great in the adverse conditions. Once we reached our destination the Jeep went right up our unplowed driveway.

I put on about 700 miles during our trip. On the way home temps climbed to near 60 and we hit really heavy rain but the Jeep kept its course.

Don't be fooled. The KL is not a car dressed up like an SUV. It is heavy and solid and if you get chance to test drive one you'll see for yourself. Mine weighs in at around 3,800 lbs. I traded a 2013 Dart for the KL which the KL is based on and shares some DNA. I difference quite noticeable.

My wife appreciated the comfort of the Dart and I liked the MPG but we both missed the ride height of a Jeep. (The Dart replaced a modestly lifted JK Unlimited.) The KL is a good mix of comfort, economy and on/off road performance. I expect to get better MPG when I switch back to the stock all-season tires.

L.O.S.T. #000202
2021 Compass

Post subject: Re: 6 Week Experience/Review
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 am 
LOST Addict

Great write up.
What size were stock and what are you running now?
You've had some cool rides recently. 8)

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

Gageraid wrote:
Great write up.

Stock size is 225/60/17 and stuck with that size for the winter tires.

L.O.S.T. #000202
2021 Compass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:26 pm 
LOST Addict

priell3 wrote:
Gageraid wrote:
Great write up.

Stock size is 225/60/17 and stuck with that size for the winter tires.

Well mpg shouldn't have changed much. My guess is 3-4 mpg from more aggressive tire and all the factors of winter driving.
Is there a "break in" period with the KL? We all know the KK gets better mileage after the break in period.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms