It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 ECS - VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:52 am 
LOST Addict

As stated, this event is stocker friendly. That said, I will carry over some of the suggestions that we've asked of attendees in past years:

MUST HAVE:
- Tow Points, front & rear (you WILL need these at least once). Owners of vehicles without appropriate tow points will be asked to ride in more capable vehicles or to remain behind on difficult/wet trails - each anchor point must be secure. Weather conditions have ranged from dry and dusty to very, very slick. Be prepared!
- Fully inflated matching spare tire.
- Working seat belts.
- Roll Bar (CJs, YJs, TJs, LJs, JKs).

SHOULD HAVE:
- CB radio (If you don't it's a PITA to communicate. Bring a hand held CB if you don't want to mount one, or buy a cheap one and we'll mount it in the evening).
- Tow Strap (you should have it, but others will have it if you don't).
- Skid Plates (YOU are taking a huge risk without these. This is a rock park, not a mud park [Your spotter will NOT be responsible...]).
- Rock Rails, Boulder Bars, Rock Sliders, etc. (See "Skid Plates", but not as huge a risk (i.e., you can still drive home with bent sheet metal).
- A Full Tank of Gas.
- A CURRENT Windrock Park Map.

PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA:
- Flashlight.
- Leather Gloves.
- Tools.
- Cell phone.
-Trash bags (for your garbage and others too – ALWAYS leave a trail cleaner than you found it).
- Basic first aid appropriate for the area you are in and activities you're doing.
- Basic emergency rations (clear bottled water, energy bars, etc.)
- Fire extinguisher (small ones are cheap at HD/Lowes/Wallmart, so why not have one?)
- Change of clothes for everyone in the vehicle (including shoes) and towels / wipes (baby wipes work really well for a LOT of things).
- Snacks and liquids (off-roading is hard work!!!)
- Toilet paper (see "wet wipes" above)
- Recovery gear (Hi-lift, tree-saver, shovel, bow-saw, snatch-block, extra shackle, etc.)
- A GPS.
- A Sawzall (well,… only if you are D|ck actually) :-)r
- A sense of humor.

Additions and modification suggestions from previous participants welcome and encouraged.

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

Last edited by Cobalt-60 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2014 ECS - VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's nice to see some of the items that different people have suggested adding over the years (and the ones that people end up NEEDING over the years).

I would recommend that people bring some cash in small denominations (like, $20 in singles and $10 in quarters is a good idea). Many things available at the part require quarters or don't always have credit card capabilities or change for large bills (the excellent BBQ RV guy in the staging area comes to mind).

BTW, if it's not obvious, bring food. There are some places not TOO far off to get food (small restaurants/grocery stores), but unless you're planning on staying in oakridge, normal camping supplies are a good thing to have.

John, it's recommended that you bring interesting spirits for evening campfire sit-arounds. Even though this year isn't in Kentucky, I believe moonshine would be a welcome visitor :)

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

Post subject: Re: 2014 ECS - VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dgeist wrote:
John, it's recommended that you bring interesting spirits for evening campfire sit-arounds. Even though this year isn't in Kentucky, I believe moonshine would be a welcome visitor :)
Dan

Dan.
I don't know if you were talking to me, but since my successful Hep-C treatment I don't drink. However, Scott is coming and I'm sure he'll bring something interesting as well as unique since he is a brew pub fan.

I'm glad Colin remembered to start this blog since I forgot all about it. I would add a BFH (Big F-ing Hammer), altho I'm sure someone in the group will bring one.
We'll be bringing a hand-held CB unit and SWR meter if anyone needs either. A quart of oil and ATF wouldn't hurt either. Windrock is a big place and running low on either may get you stuck.

I'm really excited about seeing all of ya'll again and am looking forward to a great event....rain or shine.
John

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger