It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

ALL MEMBERS MAY POST REPLIES TO OFFICIAL SPONSORING VENDORS OF LOSTJEEPS.COM! NOTE: IF YOU ARE A VENDOR AND WANT TO POST YOUR DETAILS, SPECS, RESEARCH, TECHNICAL ADVICE, ETC. ABOUT YOUR PRODUCTS OR SERVICES ON LOSTJEEPS.COM, YOU CAN DO IT HERE *ONLY* IF YOU ARE AN OFFICIAL PAID VENDOR. If you would like to become an official LostJeeps.com vendor, please contact the Forum Administrator for Vendor Programs available.

Post subject: Jeff Bauer's Thermostat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

As I said somewhere else, I am now running one of Jeff Bauer's thermostat units. It's been less than a week since we installed it ("we" being myself and Chris Amato, owner of Chris Amato Automotive in Huntingdon Valley, Pa., a close friend and brother firefighter/engineer), so I suppose it's a bit premature to report on it. Installing it was about the same as installing an OE unit.

Results over a longer period of time and many more miles would be more meaningful and I will certainly do that. But in the short time that it's been in and operational I have run nearly 300 miles. So far, the cabin heat will run you out. I sense that my fuel mileage is improving, but I had had Jim Hulse out earlier in the week to do some other work which may also improve mileage. That makes it impossible to quantify either change individually. There have been no leaks so far anywhere.

Two points: 1. I had difficulty threading the gauge sensor into the tapped hole that was provided. This is not a tapered pipe thread as would be used in U.S. automotive practice. Since it appears that Jeff intended that the OE sender be used, he followed the OE (VM, European, presumably) practice of using a straight thread and a sealing washer. The sensor would not thread up against the sealing washer. After turning the sensor against the thread tightness a turn, I backed it out and observed the beginning of thread damage. I looked inside the threaded hole and saw what looked like a thread burr. I got the appropriate tap (M12 x 1.5, I think) and cleaned up the hole. I also ran a matching die over the sensor's thread. After that, it went together effortlessly. I did report this to Jeff during a phone call.

2. The other thing, which I would have picked up on if I had been paying attention is that I would have put some Eck (ick, as we like to say it) on the mounting bolt shanks. His housing is aluminum and he provides stainless mounting bolts. In this application, where the stainless bolts are merely passing through the anodized aluminum holes, I don't see it as a big issue. If the stainless were being threaded into tapped holes in aluminum, electrolysis could be a huge problem as the galvanic action between stainless and aluminum is more than it is with many other metal combinations. Even so, if I had been paying better attention, I'd have sprayed a little Eck on the bolt shanks. But I guarantee you, I'm not taking it apart just to do that for this application.

Post subject: Re: Jeff Bauer's Thermostat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:15 pm 
LOST Addict

SVY wrote:
Two points: 1. I had difficulty threading the gauge sensor into the tapped hole that was provided. This is not a tapered pipe thread as would be used in U.S. automotive practice. Since it appears that Jeff intended that the OE sender be used, he followed the OE (VM, European, presumably) practice of using a straight thread and a sealing washer. The sensor would not thread up against the sealing washer. After turning the sensor against the thread tightness a turn, I backed it out and observed the beginning of thread damage. I looked inside the threaded hole and saw what looked like a thread burr. I got the appropriate tap (M12 x 1.5, I think) and cleaned up the hole. I also ran a matching die over the sensor's thread. After that, it went together effortlessly. I did report this to Jeff during a phone call.

2. The other thing, which I would have picked up on if I had been paying attention is that I would have put some Eck (ick, as we like to say it) on the mounting bolt shanks. His housing is aluminum and he provides stainless mounting bolts. In this application, where the stainless bolts are merely passing through the anodized aluminum holes, I don't see it as a big issue. If the stainless were being threaded into tapped holes in aluminum, electrolysis could be a huge problem as the galvanic action between stainless and aluminum is more than it is with many other metal combinations. Even so, if I had been paying better attention, I'd have sprayed a little Eck on the bolt shanks. But I guarantee you, I'm not taking it apart just to do that for this application.

Thank you very much for the feedback SVY; it is much appreciated!

Your concerns have already been addressed...

#1) The threaded holes for the O.E. temperature sending unit have been re-cut to address the minor problem with installation of that part, and the CNC machining program that carves the Model 001 housing has been adjusted to deal with this issue on a permanent basis.

#2) When I first started on this project I consulted a corrosion engineer at the University of Alberta regarding all possible issues of corrosion on the model 001. You are correct that a combination of aluminum and stainless steel in the presence of a liquid can cause galvanic corrosion. However, I did some research with V.M. Motori and discovered that the holes in the cylinder head that mount the thermostat assembly are blind holes, where the stainless steel does not touch the coolant. Galvanic corrosion should therefore not be an issue. However, just to be safe I myself use a couple of wraps of pipe tape on the mounting bolts to cut down on any chance that I may have overlooked something, and that there still is a chance corrosion can occur.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:48 am 
LOST Member

They removed all of the old posts regarding the thermostat housing and which off the shelf thermostats work with it.

Could you re list the compatible thermostats/Part numbers in each temprature range 190/195/203/205 if you still have that infrmation handy. I want to do some expermentation but I need to move to a 195deg full flow / high flow thermostat to do it.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:04 pm 
LOST Addict

xhizzous wrote:
They removed all of the old posts regarding the thermostat housing and which off the shelf thermostats work with it.

Could you re list the compatible thermostats/Part numbers in each temprature range 190/195/203/205 if you still have that infrmation handy. I want to do some expermentation but I need to move to a 195deg full flow / high flow thermostat to do it.

Please send me a private message with your telephone number, and I will call you to arrange a transfer of the information you require. :mrgreen:

Heather apparently believes that, because I am no longer an official vendor, that any threads that I started regarding the Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly - even those that are not sales related and are for information purposes only - are fair game to be removed.

You see, when you send letters to her expressing deep concerns about how this forum is run, you essentially get stonewalled and then you have sanctions placed against you. All I can do at this point is have my customers be my voice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:39 am 
LOST Member

xhizzous wrote:

While I'm not the biggest fan of Jeff or his product I believe the wholesale deletion of his threads is pretty disgusting. Certainly the removal of the threads that we all contributed to is plain disrespectful to the other contributors.

Heather, fortunately once something gets published on the internet it's pretty hard to get rid of, not even you can delete it. Here is the list:

THE “A” LIST IS FOR O.E. REPLACEMENT VALVES THAT OPEN UP AT 203 DEGREES. THIS IS THE TEMPERATURE RATING I RECOMMEND FOR MOST APPLICATIONS OF THE LIBERTY CRD.

1) AUTOZONE PART # 41603; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
2) CST PART # 41603; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
3) DURALAST PART # 41603; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
4) FEDERATED PART # 416-203; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
5) GATES PART # 34053; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
6) MOPAR PART # 52028898AI; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
7) MOTORAD PART # 416-203; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
8) O’REILLY’S PART # 41603; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
9) PARTSMASTER PART # 51603; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
10) PRONTO PART # 416-203; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE
11) STANT PART # 48792; 203 DEGREE O.E. REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT VALVE

THE “B” LIST IS FOR VALVES THAT OPEN AT LOWER TEMPERATURES. OWNERS OF A H.D.S. MODEL 001 SHOULD LOOK TO THIS LIST FOR ANY HEAVY TOWING USE IN HOT WEATHER, WHERE THE 203 DEGREE THERMOSTAT VALVES PROVE TO RUN THE ENGINE TOO HOT, OR FOR R428 ENGINES MODIFIED FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE.

1) DURALAST PART # 41680; 180 DEGREE THERMOSTAT VALVE FOR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
2) JET PART # 10183; 180 DEGREE THERMOSTAT VALVE FOR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
3) MISHIMOTO PART # MMTS-JED-06L; 180 DEGREE T-STAT VALVE FOR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
4) STANT PART # 48799; 190 DEGREE THERMOSTAT VALVE FOR PERFORMANCE ENGINES

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:56 am 
LOST Member

Ceearedeedriver,
Thanks for reposting that information.

Heather,
Deletion of Jeff Bauer's threads with the information pertinent to his thermostat is unacceptable. He was a paying vendor at the time the information was posted. I believe you should repost them and lock them if he is no longer paying. If necessary, edit them to remove any B.S. and the purchase information. Please repost them. I think Jeff has sold over 80 of these thermostats....the majority of them have been sold to members of this message board. The members of this message board that purchased the thermostat should have the technical information available to them.

I own one of his thermostats and it is an excellent product. Is it expensive? Yes. Do I feel like I paid too much? Yes. Did I feel like I was paying too much when I purchased it? Yes. Would I buy it again? Yes. Has it lived up to Jeff's claims? Yes. Is Jeff a PITA to deal with? Yes (I have personal experience). Has he alienated many members of this message board. My perception is yes, but that doesn't change the fact that his thermostat is a top notch product.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:11 pm 
LOST Addict

95Z28A4 wrote:
Ceearedeedriver,
Thanks for reposting that information.

Heather,
Deletion of Jeff Bauer's threads with the information pertinent to his thermostat is unacceptable. He was a paying vendor at the time the information was posted. I believe you should repost them and lock them if he is no longer paying. If necessary, edit them to remove any B.S. and the purchase information. Please repost them. I think Jeff has sold over 80 of these thermostats....the majority of them have been sold to members of this message board. The members of this message board that purchased the thermostat should have the technical information available to them.

I own one of his thermostats and it is an excellent product. Is it expensive? Yes. Do I feel like I paid too much? Yes. Did I feel like I was paying too much when I purchased it? Yes. Would I buy it again? Yes. Has it lived up to Jeff's claims? Yes. Is Jeff a PITA to deal with? Yes (I have personal experience). Has he alienated many members of this message board. My perception is yes, but that doesn't change the fact that his thermostat is a top notch product.

Thank you for posting these messages, Ceearedeedriver and 95Z28A4.

I have actually sold over 120 thermostats by now, and an making inroads to having the Model 001 and the proposed Model 002 made overseas, (still CNC machined housings).

Criticisms noted, but understand that being a one-man operation where ALL of the financing has been out of my pocket is no easy task. Some of my customers have been PITA as well. 95Z28A4, if you had a problem with me you should have discussed whatever that problem was; this is the first time I recall hearing from you about me being a PITA.

I stopped being a vendor on LOSTJEEPS.com because I received very little support from Heather, and felt that the value for the money spent was simply not there. There is no proper monitoring of this site; members are allowed to make claims and accusations that are simply not true, and ask proof from me that they never bothered to ask from members supporting other "fixes" for the Liberty CRD cold running engine problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:51 pm 
LOST Member

Ceearedeedriver,
Thank you for posting that list again, Its super useful to know exactly where I can get the list when I need it.

I spent 35+ min at an Orileys one day when I decided to go buy a different temp thermostat but they of course didn't carry the stant 190 one I already had the P/N for. I went looking for the list and spent forever skimming all the threads and couldnt find it :(

I personally would recommend the the HDS thermostat to anyone who is thinking about it ... Jeff has the ONLY product like it for Our CRD's and its well engineered and definately a great product...

I ordered 2 of the thermostats as I have 2 of these little tractors ... I must be a glutton for punishment.... But both thermostats do exactly as they are designed to do and I have had no problems so far with either and no complaints.

I don't know what problems others have had but I personally never had an issue with the order process or with Jeff, He called and verified when I messaged him exactly what I wanted and let me know when they were complete and shipped. He also called and verified that I had received them.

This board and the people who post here are an invaluable resource to all CRD owners. I don't think there is any greater repository of knowledge about these engines than the pages of information and data and guides and products the people on here have been able to create and accumulate. The assistance and troubleshooting advice as well as the actual help I have received from other members here is something that is quite uncommon in the world today. I have met in person several of the members of this board for various reasons and have enjoyed my time talking with every one of them.

05 CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, EuroTC, ARPs, Full EGR Del, IDParts Hoses, Etecno 7v GP, OME 790 Bilstein 916front, OME948 OME N132Lrear, JBA A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs+Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff, JCR Stage2 Rails, SkidRow Skids, HDS Tstat,

Sold 06 CRD Limited K&N, EHM, ORM, EuroTC, TransgoKit, Samcos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looking for some old info I ran into this thread.

Mdep 001.

I have 70,000 miles on a daily with no issues. I live in Minnesota and always have heat.

Moving it to a lower milage liberty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GDE Hot tune and Trans Tune
Euro TC RL037142AA
Rebuilt Trans w/Transgo 68RFE
Air Box Mod
BMW oil Sep
MRBP exhaust
F-104 Fumoto valve
Hayden fan clutch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:51 am 
LOST Newbie

I have two of these on my two CRDs. Fantastic product.

Suncoast TC shift kit
40MPG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:53 pm 
LOST Addict

CRD_Joe wrote:
I have two of these on my two CRDs. Fantastic product.

X2

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: Geoff Bauer's RegThermostat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Need to get ahold of Geoff Bauer’s . How do I reach out to him ?

Post subject: Re: Geoff Bauer's RegThermostat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:04 am 
LOST Addict

CRDRay wrote:
Need to get ahold of Geoff Bauer’s . How do I reach out to him ?

Hello, CRDRay:

I have sent you an e-mail through this forum instructing you on how to communicate with me.

I look forward to our future correspondence.

Jeff Bauer