It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Lost Jeeps Official Vendor Posts for CRDs only. Members may also post replies to the vendor posts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: SMS "Weeks" CRD Intake Elbow Kit- Bypasses EGR, Deletes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:16 am 
LOST Addict

I do not believe the ELM327 can be used for reprogramming or flashing the ECM due to it having scanner software interface built into the cable plug end. Squeeto or one of the others can confirm this. I am not that familiar with the ELM327 system...
Most use an MPPS cable which can be purchased on eBay for ~13 bucks... :wink:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mpps-v13

Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey everyone,

We have designed a machined plug/block-off plate for the exhaust manifold EGR tube connection.

- No more cutting and crimping or welding the factory tube.
- No need for tapping/plugging - or buying a huge tap and plug, etc.
- Just remove the factory EGR tube and replace with this plug using the existing clamp and you are done (and it's fully reversible).

The results of this poll will be a huge help in determining if this moves forward: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81654

Thanks for your time,
Seth

SasquatchParts.com
VM Motori Parts & Performance​

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L EcoDiesel
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax​

Last edited by weeks101 on Wed May 13, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

Update to the Stage 2 thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81654

SasquatchParts.com

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Weeks Kit Stage 2 - NOW ACCEPTING PRE-ORDERS

Expected ship date by May 4th, 2015

https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/shop/in ... berty-crd/

SasquatchParts.com

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel

Last edited by weeks101 on Thu May 14, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

I revised the coating on the black elbows going forward. It's now a textured finish. In addition to providing some extra grip on the coupler, I think it makes the elbow look very factory-looking, especially with a black coupler and black Samcos.

These are shipping now, and black is now the same price as polished (it used to be an extra $10).

Also, this photo shows how the two pieces "nest" together. The adapter fits inside the elbow perfectly. Make sure yours is installed this way to ensure both v-bands are fully-seated on the coupler!

SasquatchParts.com

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

weeks101 wrote:
Weeks Kit Stage 2 - NOW ACCEPTING PRE-ORDERS

Expected ship date by May 4th, 2015

https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/shop/in ... berty-crd/

After reading over all 30 pages of this topic, I have a question:

What further advantage does the Weeks Stage 2 kit provide over the Stage 1? It seems that it's simply more convenient, in that there is less stuff in the way. Is there any further performance gained?

SunCoast Torque Converter
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey Shaq, you can think of Stage 1 as an EGR bypass (and FCV delete + redesigned intake elbow for higher flow and easier removal). With this kit you don't have anymore soot entering the engine, but some of the EGR system components remain in place for ease of installation.

You can think of Stage 2 as an optional add-on for full EGR system deletion. It goes farther than the Stage 1 kit by fully removing the EGR cooler, EGR valve, exhaust-side EGR tube and all EGR coolant lines.

Stage 2 is not just for convenience, it's to eliminate all of the complexities of the EGR system that can lead to coolant and exhaust leaks, giving you a more reliable vehicle. It's very common for the EGR cooler to leak internally into the EGR valve, causing coolant loss (sometimes misdiagnosed as a head gasket leak) and all sorts of other problems.

The major advantage of our kit vs. a DIY solution is our exclusive exhaust manifold cap which does not require removal of the exhaust manifold. DIY solutions involve removing the exhaust manifold and drilling, tapping and plugging the port for the EGR system...or welding it. For most people, this is out of scope. Our kit is 100% bolt-on.

Hope that helps.

SasquatchParts.com

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Another question to those who have been using the Week's Elbow Kit:

Have you experienced any complications or problems with turbo failure after installing the Week's Kit? This topic has been discussed in detail on this forum (see below). My understanding of the situation is that some argue the EGR provides a secondary function as a pressure release valve (also called a 'wastegate') and prevents overboosting. This happens at high speeds or when revving the engine up quickly and then stopping. Thus by eliminating the EGR completely, you might put your engine at risk in certain situations.

I don't mean to bash the product at all, I'm just looking for feedback before making a purchase.

---

geordi wrote:
Yeti wrote:
geordi wrote:
If your EGR valve is broken and stuck open, then you have a continuous boost leak. That is not good. It could be that the boost you feel when the EGR is blocked is so much more, but is actually correct for how the Jeep is supposed to operate?

I'm not certain if the 2007 has the same turbo setup as the USA 2005 or 2006 CRD. I think it is the same setup however.

If the EGR is blocked, do you get any codes for over boost errors or waste gate errors? If not, then you probably do not have a waste gate turbo.
With a waste gate, I believe you would also HEAR the pressure releasing, in a loud PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!! kind of sound when you let off the pedal.

the first 2 lines make me think , if i block the egr i have the P0401 , about low egr , but if i remap my ecu , not set a code , i hear in stock configuration a woooosh wen i drive up hill on a fixed range ......about 1800 rpm , but not with the tune :dizzy:

This sounds like with the stock computer program, your EGR is open and you have an EGR boost leak.

The stock program from the USA has the EGR open about 90% of the time, the only time it is closed is when accelerating at more than 50% throttle position.

If you have the ability to reprogram your computer so that the EGR code is not set when the EGR is blocked... DO IT. Don't even think about it again, the EGR is a waste on a diesel engine.

I think you are all wrong and forget Wikipedia using a KJ.

The turbo charger also uses a wastegate(Fig.9), which regulates intake manifold airpressure and prevents overboosting at high engine speeds.

Be careful.[/quote]

HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Funny thing about those manual pages - They were written before the CRD was available for sale in the USA. There are a great deal of mistakes that have been found in the service manual, this is just one of many.

The 2005-2006 CRD does not have a turbo with a wastegate. You can look at your own engine and try to match the appearance with that image, and be disappointed.

Turbochargers on the CRD have a VNT, they are not a wastegate design. Further, the need for a wastegate is to rapidly release the boost pressure from the intake when a sudden restriction appears - like the throttle plate slamming closed when you
suddenly let go of the GAS pedal. This isn't a gas engine and it doesn't have a throttle plate. Diesels control the engine speed by controlling the fuel only. When you want to slow the RPM, just cut the fuel amount and the engine instantly starts slowing down. The intake is always inhaling air and passing it through the cylinders, so there is no need for a wastegate or any kind of "blow off valve" programming because the boost can never suddenly force itself backwards through the turbo.

That bit of the programming is retained by Keith from the original program that Chrysler created - possibly from a gas turbocharged program element that they just bolted into the computer map. It has no place in a diesel engine.

Email (button below) is preferred to PM
Over 70 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Just remember: Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

ShaqDiesel wrote:
My understanding of the situation is that some argue the EGR provides a secondary function as a pressure release valve (also called a 'wastegate') and prevents overboosting. This happens at high speeds or when revving the engine up quickly and then stopping..

FYI, the turbocharger in this application is a VNT (variable nozzle turbine a.k.a. variable geometry turbine) which uses a series of veins to control boost pressure. It does not have a traditional wastegate and the EGR valve does not act as a wastegate. The 05-06 Liberty CRD veins are vacuum-actuated, as opposed to electronically. If the vacuum-actuation-system happens to not react quickly enough, the ECU is programmed to open the EGR valve.

The long-term damage of having soot being constantly pumped through your engine is of far greater concern. :2cents:

More info on VNT turbos:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable- ... rbocharger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2GrVS-sGdQ

SasquatchParts.com

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for. Should be ordering sometime in the next month or so.

HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:02 am 
LOST Junkie

ok but let me know how this map do ......address 0F7536 to 0F7554 on a 808 file , if is only for a gasoline engine why act in a turbo diesel engine ?...... if I do a wot and rapidly let of the gas and rapidly doing another wot in up hill I hear a woosh coming from the turbo , if I increase this map over the turbo value the woooosh do not come , the fcv work is like a gasser engine , but only to do a restriction for the egr gas and regulate the air incoming ...right mixture .........the only map I can see that regulate the turbo is one for the pressure range , three for the overboost time and one for the intake manifold pressure and pressure setpoint , the vacuum implements the variable solenoid for regulate vnt angle and pressure , and with the overboost time the time this boost is maintained , but if you push the pressure over the limit map the egr is opened and do the wooosh or the vnt vane opening doing this sound ? this sound seem like boost pressure going in to the exhaust manifold .

you can hear the wooosh....but a bit less when you go up hill with a constant low gas ...egr open....

let me know what you think I'm curious and I have interest in the week product too , but I WANT to be sure for a 200% early to do this mod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks weeks101! The online pics/instructions were a huge help.

I completed the stage 2 mod over an evening plus another half day. I managed to get the cross-around pipe out ok but ended up unbollting the egr from the heat exchanger to get them out. I also remove the air box and dis-connected the power steering for easier access to wrestle with the water hoses and turbo hoses. While I was at it I checked my inlet air hose to the turbo for cracking/oil rot. Found absolutely none! I believe the Provent and regular air filter replacement is actually working. The turbo impeller is tight and I could not get a bit of play indication by tugging with my fingers. This is a replacement turbo that was installed at 80,000 miles and now has 175,000 miles.

Performance feels better with the boost system "tight" and I did have the manifold inlet hose coupler pop off on the inital run. I found that one has to be careful to get the pipe and hose coupler tight and square with the clamps for a secure connection. The new black pipe you are now offering appears to have a longer radius on the bend to the manifold connector. Is that right? It would make for a better clamp up on the coupler.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:58 am 
LOST Junkie

Patrick Henry wrote:
Thanks weeks101! The online pics/instructions were a huge help.
Cheers! :rockon:

Patrick Henry wrote:
I did have the manifold inlet hose coupler pop off on the inital run. I found that one has to be careful to get the pipe and hose coupler tight and square with the clamps for a secure connection. The new black pipe you are now offering appears to have a longer radius on the bend to the manifold connector. Is that right? It would make for a better clamp up on the coupler.
We have not revised the bend for the black version, but you are exactly right regarding getting the two pieces tight and square. This photo shows how the two pieces "nest" together. The lip on the adapter fits inside the elbow perfectly. To ensure both v-bands are fully-seated on the coupler, make sure your elbow is installed this way.

SasquatchParts.com

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:01 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
My FCV is still plugged in under the hood whilest I'm getting ready to reprogram the computer to kill the trouble codes that trigger the light. I left it plugged in after the phase 1 kit to pass an emissions test before phase 2 was installed.

Phase one and the EGR block-off was done at about 110K miles, so thats how long it took to soot up that elbow in the last 3 pix.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just wondering. I got the GDE ECO bypass for my ECM. I'd still like to do a weeks delete. Should I do the stage 1 or 2?
Thanx, Van

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey there, check out the info below, hopefully it's helpful in making your decision!

Quote:

You can think of Stage 1 as an EGR bypass (and FCV delete + redesigned intake elbow for higher flow and easier removal). With this kit you don't have anymore soot entering the engine, but some of the EGR system components remain in place for ease of installation.

You can think of Stage 2 as an optional add-on for full EGR system deletion. It goes farther than the Stage 1 kit by fully removing the EGR cooler, EGR valve, exhaust-side EGR tube and all EGR coolant lines.

Stage 2 is not just for convenience, it's to eliminate all of the complexities of the EGR system that can lead to coolant and exhaust leaks, giving you a more reliable vehicle. It's very common for the EGR cooler to leak internally into the EGR valve, causing coolant loss (sometimes misdiagnosed as a head gasket leak) and all sorts of other problems.

The major advantage of our kit vs. a DIY solution is our exclusive exhaust manifold cap which does not require removal of the exhaust manifold. DIY solutions involve removing the exhaust manifold and drilling, tapping and plugging the port for the EGR system...or welding it. For most people, this is out of scope. Our kit is 100% bolt-on.

SasquatchParts.com

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

I also have the GDE tune; personally, I'd go for both stage 1 and 2. I have stage 1 fitted, and I'm just waiting for time to do stage 2.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Amsoil air filter;Grabber At2 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;RuffStuff diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; snorkel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for all the Tech info and putting together a great kit for the price Seth.

A word from exp the 4 bolts holding the stock elbow, 2 are easy, 2 are not unless you come from underneath.
Come from underneath period for the two bolts, its not worth fighting from above. :wink:

Take your time, soak all the areas with liquid wrench or equivalent.

* this install is no joke ... either ask for help or have someone who turns a lot of wrenches near by. Yes its an easy install for gear heads, not so much for beginners. IMHO

You also need to keep in mind when you remove the EGR, on shut down you are going to have a noticeable shutter
This is common, every diesel I have removed the EGR from acts the same way.

DACCO R36LS Torque Converter
DIY tune by Yeti stage II
Weeks full EGR delete
Cat cleaned
Muffler delete
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzcATT ... pHsGJ7Dy-w

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, what all needs to be purchased to make this complete?

Suncoast TC shift kit
40MPG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next