It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Lost Jeeps Official Vendor Posts for CRDs only. Members may also post replies to the vendor posts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: CRD Intake Elbow Kit - Deletes FCV, EGR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The EGR connects to the elbow, so it WOULD still be hooked up and pumping trash into your intake. Except for visual inspections in your state... WHY on earth would you want to retain this destroys-your-engine-over-time "feature" at all?

Diesels don't need EGR. This was a flawed "solution" cooked up by a group of people that hate diesels for the sole reason that they think the visible soot is somehow more dangerous than the 1/100th smaller particles from gas engines that cannot be seen and stay airborne for days.

Flawed science. Diesels don't need EGR. If you want to talk about a soot trap and more restrictive catalytic converter, fine - But I want them on EVERY VEHICLE then, AND on every smokestack on every coal fired powerplant. Make just ONE of the over 500 coal powerplants have the same emissions restrictions as a diesel car... And it would be the effect of permanently removing 3 million cars from the roads.

Show me who the real polluters are here, and I'll show you someone that has the lobbying "grease" to not be forced into protecting the environment.

Until that day... The EGR can rot in a box. The Weeks kit is a great upgrade, and I'd bet real money that 90% of the exhaust huffers won't even know what they are looking at when they open the hood of a CRD.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 am 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
The EGR connects to the elbow, so it WOULD still be hooked up and pumping trash into your intake. Except for visual inspections in your state... WHY on earth would you want to retain this destroys-your-engine-over-time "feature" at all?

Diesels don't need EGR. This was a flawed "solution" cooked up by a group of people that hate diesels for the sole reason that they think the visible soot is somehow more dangerous than the 1/100th smaller particles from gas engines that cannot be seen and stay airborne for days.

Flawed science. Diesels don't need EGR. If you want to talk about a soot trap and more restrictive catalytic converter, fine - But I want them on EVERY VEHICLE then, AND on every smokestack on every coal fired powerplant. Make just ONE of the over 500 coal powerplants have the same emissions restrictions as a diesel car... And it would be the effect of permanently removing 3 million cars from the roads.

Show me who the real polluters are here, and I'll show you someone that has the lobbying "grease" to not be forced into protecting the environment.

Until that day... The EGR can rot in a box. The Weeks kit is a great upgrade, and I'd bet real money that 90% of the exhaust huffers won't even know what they are looking at when they open the hood of a CRD.

Alright... I'll take my chances and get the kit. Luckily it matches my Mr. Bob hose kit so hopefully it will blend in.

I've been around diesels all my life geordi. I helped work on my grandfather's 12v71 Detroit and his 79 Caddy with the 5.7L train wreck. I fully understand and agree that EGR has no business on diesel engines. I just don't want to be installing this factory crap on in 22 months.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (purchased 10/30/12 w/ 52k miles) GDE HotTune & Eco TCU, Suncoast TC, Amsoil Full SAPS (EFM) 5w40, Amsoil ATF, 7" touchscreen Android powered stereo (direct from China) w/ 4G LTE mobile data for streaming Netflix, HBO GO, Slingbox, Pandora, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:21 pm 
LOST Member

KD6ICZ wrote:
geordi wrote:

Alright... I'll take my chances and get the kit. Luckily it matches my Mr. Bob hose kit so hopefully it will blend in.

I've been around diesels all my life geordi. I helped work on my grandfather's 12v71 Detroit and his 79 Caddy with the 5.7L train wreck. I fully understand and agree that EGR has no business on diesel engines. I just don't want to be installing this factory crap on in 22 months.

I'm 100% agreed that eliminating the EGR all together would be a huge plus, and I'm tempted to take my chances with the smog nazis myself if I get my tractor back together before it's due.

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:03 pm 
LOST Member

So... The next question is do I have a better chance with the blue color coupler so it matches the rest of my intercooler plumbing and I play it off as just a complete hose kit or black color coupler so it looks like the elbow and coupler may be factory?

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (purchased 10/30/12 w/ 52k miles) GDE HotTune & Eco TCU, Suncoast TC, Amsoil Full SAPS (EFM) 5w40, Amsoil ATF, 7" touchscreen Android powered stereo (direct from China) w/ 4G LTE mobile data for streaming Netflix, HBO GO, Slingbox, Pandora, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 pm 
LOST Member

Blue. As Complete hose kit.

I was not suggesting leaving the EGR hooked up just leaving it to look like it was hooked up. Last Mercedes I had had a SS gasket between the EGR and the EGR hose connection.

I was suggesting a Samco hose for a better price that also eliminates the FCV and the EGR for less money.

In the short time mine has been install my Jeep runs noticeably better. The kit is impressive in the small details like the bracket bolt matching the size of the bolt that the bracket bolts to. The hardest part of my install was cleaning the old gasket material off and it only had about 10% left on. The only low point of the kit was he told me how proud he was that it was made in America and the kit included the black connector hose that was in it original package and labeled made in china.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

I live in Kalifornia and I always stress when smog time comes. I have my EGR blocked with a plate on the inlet, gutted FCV and a GDE tune. This combo has passed both times I got it smogged. If my EGR was missing, I would worry "the man" would make me put all that crap back on. So I roll with it for a visual effect only. If I did not have to smog, I would have put the Weeks kit on a long time ago.

My oil has stayed crystal clear ever since my 3rd oil change after the GDE tune. The tune alone is a lifesaver for these engines. That is my 2 cents.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:16 pm 
LOST Member

ebbnflow wrote:
I live in Kalifornia and I always stress when smog time comes. I have my EGR blocked with a plate on the inlet, gutted FCV and a GDE tune. This combo has passed both times I got it smogged. If my EGR was missing, I would worry "the man" would make me put all that crap back on. So I roll with it for a visual effect only. If I did not have to smog, I would have put the Weeks kit on a long time ago.

My oil has stayed crystal clear ever since my 3rd oil change after the GDE tune. The tune alone is a lifesaver for these engines. That is my 2 cents.

Same boat here. I've had the GDE tune since 55k miles. I purchased the unit with 52k on it so as soon as I had the cash I bought the tune and installed a Suncoast. I'm debating on just doing what you've done. I know they wouldn't know if the internals were gutted. But leaving the FCV assembly has a couple extra chances for leaks.

I'm actually more worried about a smog check in a non-CARB state where the CRD was sold. There is a better chance they've seen a few in those states.

Decisions decisions....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 am 
LOST Member

Again though, just because they have seen more jeeps doesn't mean they know what any of it does. I ripped out all of my EGR stuff in my jeep and have considered powder coating the tube black and leaving the cover on. They might notice its different, but probably wont have any clue as to what it was or did. Most new diesels have the EGR function in the head not external like these. Safe bet though is to gut the FCV, and block the EGR tube so its dead but looks good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
If you are really concerned about the visuals, but still want the EGR gone - You can pull the EGR-to-intake hard line and either weld it shut internally, or plug it with a slug and weld that in on the EGR end.

The FCV connections aren't really a source of "leaks" so much as the gasket material is complete crap and THAT is what gets oil soaked and can drip. When you pull it apart, clean everything and re-seal it with RTV or fresh gasket material, and it will be fine. You won't get the better flow of the Weeks kit, but it will still "look" stock. Trust that your GDE tune will eliminate the EGR code from the system and therefore - no light for them to find either.

I wouldn't want to deal with the smog nazis any more than any of you guys do. If I make the move to the North East that I'm thinking about, my car will most likely stay registered in Georgia so that I don't have any of that nonsense to hassle with. Do what you have to, to avoid "The Man" out there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:52 pm 
LOST Member

I ordered the Weeks kit today. I'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

For anyone on the fence, the current sale ends at the end of October.

SasquatchParts.com
VM Motori Parts & Performance​

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax​
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L EcoDiesel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:57 pm 
LOST Member

The two kits look like one "hose kit" right?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks good to me - Just be certain that the electrical connections are taped and buried somewhere out of easy sight, and you should be golden. It would take specific knowledge of our system to know that the intake tube is supposed to have lumpy things in it.

I'd also pull the EGR entirely, and carefully re-run the water hose from the port on the intake side of the head around and over to the thermostat outlet. Capping it (if they happen to see the cap) might look suspicious.

Email (button below) is preferred to PM
Over 70 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Just remember: Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:47 pm 
LOST Member

I ordered the cap from the German website mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm good with wires so I will groom them in a way it won't be obvious. Did you remove the intake and soak it in gasoline to clean out the tar?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:39 pm 
LOST Addict

No - You can't.

The intake is also the valve cover, you would have to completely disassemble the top to get the intake off, and that would expose the rockers too. Soaking the intake in gasoline or diesel would be fine to remove the sludge, BUT you would need to completely remove the cams and bearings from the intake, which would require pulling a bunch of snap rings and then working everything out through the holes in the back. SUCH a pain in the arse.

I've never extracted the cams on any engine, and I hope I never have to. The intake sludge hopefully won't be as bad as on the VW, where the TDI can close the intake down to a pencil diameter. I don't understand how the engine stays running.

Email (button below) is preferred to PM
Over 70 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Just remember: Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:16 pm 
LOST Member

Ok. I will wipe out what I can see in the opening and install the kit. Yeah all of my TDI's I pulled the intake when I installed the Diesel Geek race pipe. This was before we hat to smog diesels in California.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have slashed shipping rates across the board again, particularly for those of you in Canada, Australia or the UK.

U.S. Shipping:
Standard Domestic (2-3 days) $9.95
Express Domestic (1-2 days) $24.95

Canada:
International Economy (1-2 weeks) $19.95 New!
International Expedited (6-10 days) $34.95
International Express Air (3-5 days) $44.95

United Kingdom:
International Economy (1-2 weeks) $29.95 New!
International Expedited (6-10 days) $49.95
International Express Air (3-5 days) $59.95

Australia:
International Economy (1-2 weeks) $29.95 New!
International Expedited (6-10 days) $49.95
International Express Air (3-5 days) $64.95

SasquatchParts.com

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:02 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
No - You can't.

The intake is also the valve cover, you would have to completely disassemble the top to get the intake off, and that would expose the rockers too. Soaking the intake in gasoline or diesel would be fine to remove the sludge, BUT you would need to completely remove the cams and bearings from the intake, which would require pulling a bunch of snap rings and then working everything out through the holes in the back. SUCH a pain in the arse.

I've never extracted the cams on any engine, and I hope I never have to. The intake sludge hopefully won't be as bad as on the VW, where the TDI can close the intake down to a pencil diameter. I don't understand how the engine stays running.

Pulling the cams out of the intake is no big deal. Just remove the rear plugs, the 2 snap rings in the front (which are behind the oil seals), and pull them out of the rear. There are no bearings. Just make sure you don't mix the cams up, and replace the oil seals.

The pain in the stupid part is pulling the intake in the first place.

Cleaning the thing is also quite the chore. Those things are NASTY. We spent a couple of hours, and ruined about $50 worth of Naptha to do it.

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

Bump, fall sale still going on for the time being.

SasquatchParts.com

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:25 am 
LOST Member

My Intake Elbow Kit is for sale. I'm including the plastic connector cap I ordered from the German website mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't have the tools or the small limber fingers required to install the kit. Asking $175 shipped. PM me if interested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next