It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:18 am 
LOST Newbie

I will have to check out the restaurant on the prerun.
Also I usually just pull my RV into the desert to camp for free. OK I’m cheap
But if others are camping too we could plan on staying at a real campsite “Tamarisk Grove”.
I think I could get talked into providing a BBQ feast.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:38 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

That would be a much better weekend. Keep us posted Dave. Hopefully it won't get rained out like it did last year.

LOST JEEPS So-Cal
Just a Jeep
named "Sammy"

Post subject: Fossi field trip?? Rescheduled??
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Dave,

Any word on the February fossil field trip being rescheduled?????

Padrino :?:

Post subject: 3.5M Year old tracks field trip update
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Were still on for March 12th with some smaller runs on March 11th For people who want to make it a weekend.

Today was such a nice day I headed out to Anza Borrego to look into field trip issues.

Camping:
I usually just camp in the open desert it’s free and with my RV I have all my amenities with me but with a large group I looked into the Developed Campgrounds. My plan was “Tamarisk Grove” campgrounds because it’s the closest to the start of the field trip. The good news was when a parked to check it out there was 10 Owls in the tree in the center of the campground. The bad news is they limit RVs to 21 ft and mine is 30 ft. I also looked into a private RV park Leapin Lizards but they do not allow tents. So if anyone has an idea please let me know I’m still looking. Also let me know if you are planning on camping or if you’re just going to be day tripper?

Restaurant:
“My Desert Rose” at the intersection of Hwy 78 and Split Mountain Rd. Starts breakfast @ 7:00 and has a great breakfast buffet. This would be a good meeting place.

trail rating:
This will be an easy 30 miles off road trail. Any stock 4WD vehicle can make it.
This trip is designed for people interested in nature not for 4WD enthusiast. This trip will not challenge you or your vehicle.

Track sites:
It looks like a mud flow covered up the area where the petrified wood was.
but
I found 7 of the 8 track sites there was a new rock slide were one of them used to be.
Also
The best site with the Mammoth and cat tracks has a large crack so this might be the last season to see it before it slides down.

Next prerun:
I was thinking about going back to look for camping options February 19th if anyone wants to join me let me know.

More details will follow after the 19th.
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
2002 3.7L V6 Liberty 4X4 Steel Blue
Skids, Rock rails, Roof Rack, ARB rear Air Locker
Rancho RSX front struts and rear shocks
K&N air intake, Flowmaster 50 series muffler
2.5” Old Man Emu spring lift front
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject: RUN INFO SHEET
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anza Borrego 3.5M year old tracks
RUN INFO SHEET

WHERE IS THE RUN GOING TO BE ? Anza Borrego Desert (Fish Creek)

WHEN ARE YOU PLANNING THE RUN? Sunday March 12th, 2006
(A shorter run will be made on Saturday March 11th if you would like to make it a weekend trip)

WHEN ARE YOU PLANNING THE PRERUN? Sunday February 26th, 2006

HOW MANY DAYS ? Formal run is 1 day (but I will be there 2 days)

WHERE AND AT WHAT TIME IS EVERYONE MEETING?
We will meet at the “My Desert Rose” restaurant in Ocotillo Wells @ 8:30AM for breakfast and hit the trail at 9:00. If you are a slow eater get there early. They have an all you can eat breakfast buffet that opens at 7:00!

CAMPING In Ocotillo Wells?
I Prefer: Dry camping in my RV. On the north side of Hwy 78 just north of Ocotillo Wells you can camp for free but it’s the most active part of Anza Borrego Desert and sometimes the dirt buggies keep you awake. In this area they do have bathrooms for the tent campers.
If you prefer Quite: RV’s (up to 21 ft) and tent camping just 14miles West of Ocotillo Wells is a nice campground Tamarisk Grove (800) 444-7275. Also there is a nice quite RV only Park in Ocotillo Wells Leapin’ Lizard RV Ranch (760) 767-4526
I’ve heard this RV park in Ocotillo Wells also allows tents but it does not regulate their quite hours Mobiland RV Park = (760) 767-3782

DO WE NEED TO BRING EXTRA GAS, IF SO HOW MUCH? NO

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE EMAIL ME AT lanehousehole@cox.net OR I CAN BE REACHED ON MY CELL (619) 589-0676

Last edited by sandiegodave on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Dave, Sounds like a great run. I'm in for sunday. Need to see about the camping thing, but in for Sunday. Can't turn down an all you can eat breakfast buffet.

Post subject: prerun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Just a reminder this Sunday February 26th I will be leading a prerun of the field trip to Anza Borrego Desert to see the 3.5M year old tracks. If you can’t make the field trip on March 12th, this is your opportunity to go see the tracks on the prerun. Remember these tracks have been covered up for 3.5M years and they might get washed out during the next rain storm.

The trail is an easy 4WD trail so even a stock 4WD vehicle can join us.

We will meet at the “My Desert Rose” restaurant in Ocotillo Wells. My plan is to leave promptly @9:00. If you would like to eat breakfast at the restaurant get there early. If you plan on coming pack a lunch, we will be eating on the trail. So far 3 people (Terry & Cara and maybe Judy) have let me know they are interested in the prerun. If you are interested please let me know.
David Lane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:00 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm bummed that I can't do the 25th run, so I'm definitely going to be on your pre-run :D Wait for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't make it on 3/25 either but would definately like to tag along this weekend. See you at My Desert Rose Sunday AM.

245/75 MT/Rs & Rubicon wheels
plus a few other things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

5 vehicles on the trail so far.
See you there.
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:39 pm 
LOST Addict

This was a fun pre-run. We will have to be sure to be there for the actual run date, and maybe make it a three-day weekend so we get to spend more time in the desert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:54 pm 
LOST Member

hi, i just need a little clarification--is the actual run on 3/11 or 3/25?

thanks!

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject: great prerun
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

The run is on March 12th but if you’re a weekender I have a special run for the morning of the 11th and the afternoon of the 11th.

Well eight people showed up for my pre-run to the 3.5M year old tracks.

And what a great time we all had. This time the campground had over 20 Large eared Owls. From the tone of the audience everyone felt the same way as me about seeing the tracks, they were awed! Our big concern is that the some of the cracks we saw in the rocks were not in the photos I took just a short time ago. We may be the last ones to see some of these tracks.

A lot of people took pictures during this prerun but I did not. The only picture I took was when I got home and it is a long story. To make it short. After the “EASY offroading” trail to the tracks, I took the Jeep Liberties on a little more challenging trail and my 4WD became a 2WD (photo attached). The good news is that my Jeep has a 7 Year 100,000 mile warranty and it’s 100% covered and will be repaired before our run on the 12th.
See you all then.
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:08 pm 
LOST Member

good lord dave! anza eats another jeep! but did you fly like the general lee like we did? really, if you wanted to see the inside of the diff. there were easier ways :wink:

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject: camping
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well the run to the 3.5M year old tracks is coming up soon.
Sunday March 12th.

After talking to a few people that want to camp for the weekend I have decided on a camp site that will work for everyone. As you drive down Hwy 78 just before you get to Split mountain Rd there is a dirt Rd on the left with a sign that states Main St. Turn left and look for a 30ft RV with Camp Jeep flags hanging out the window and my Blue Jeep Liberty parked next to it. This camp is a convenient location, it’s free, it allows Large RVs and tents and has restrooms and tables. The only negative is that sometimes the dune buggies don’t know when to quit. I will be getting there Friday and I will try to hold an area using some caution tape.

If you are arriving on Saturday I plan a fun trail run in the morning and one in the afternoon. So if you miss the morning run just find my RV and we’ll have fun on the afternoon run.

On Sunday the run is to the 3.5M year old tracks. The Sunday run starts promptly @ 9:00AM at “My Desert Rose Café”. If you would like there breakfast buffet make sure you get there early enough to finish by 9:00AM.

If you interested in joining me let me know so I will have a vehicle & head count.
Also let me know if you are camping and if you have a rig so I can save space.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:35 am 

Dave, you got your Jeep fixed already ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:58 am 
LOST Newbie

The dealer said corporate made it easy for them.
They do not have to rebuilt the diff, corporate sent a complete unit.
It arrived at noon today and they said they would install it tomorrow.
I guess it would be wrong to ask for my locker back.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:26 pm 

:lol: ....couldn't hurt ask !!

Post subject: Dinner anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Many have said they might show up on Sunday but only a few said they would be there for the weekend.

Maybe this will help you decide. Saturday as a group we will decide to either take a hike thru Hawk canyon, take a trail to the Pumpkin patch, or just find another adventurous trail to see. Also if you RSVP I will be making my famous BBQ ribs, Potato salad and maybe Prickly pear cactus for Saturday night dinner so bring your appetite. If you know you’ll be there by 6:00 for dinner let me know.

For those that will be showing up for the Sunday run. On the prerun, after looking at my old pictures and maps I think we could have gone farther up Sandstone canyon. So we will this Sunday.
See you this weekend on the trail
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Please dont ask for the locker... They are going to swap the entire front end...Dont make any waves on this...Or believe me it will turn around and bite you in the butt. A new front locker is cheap compare top having to pay for an entire front end. Beside I am sure the locker is toast as well. Youdove this back withoput fluid right? Later...Clint

KE7JLP