It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for the XJ'ers
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:39 pm 
LOST Member

for those of you that have XJ's i have a question. my mom has an XJ and something's happened to the turn signal. when you put it on to turn right, then turn right, it clicks off like it's supposed to but when you turn left it doesn't click off anymore. what do you think this could be? the whole turn indicator lever is newish, about 5 years old (the windshild washer dials went out and wouldn't turn off). she doesn't remember anything clicking or breaking but now she has to manually turn it off after turning left.

thanks in advance for your help.

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Common problem, mine does it. You need a new turn signal lever assy. There is a little cam inside the column that usually breaks off. Same problem is common w/ most GM vehicls which use similar switch assy.
Stupid XJ's..... :roll:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:34 pm 
LOST Member

JJ, thanks for the reply. is this something i can buy at the jeep dealership and we can do ourselves?

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hmm...Sure you can get at Jeep dealer, or most parts stores too. I have done a couple GM's in past, but not sure what your skill level is and you would probably want a service manual for help. I would think the GM and Jeep installs would be similar?
Anyhow, GOod luck w/ it.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:32 am 
LOST Member

Depends on the year XJ. The 84-94 is the standard GM style like JJ is talking about. The other two kinds are 95-96 and 97-01 which more often than not means you need a new multifunction switch because a small part breaks inside and is not available seperately but could also be the tab breaking on the clockspring (not as common).

Mike R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:43 am 
LOST Member

it's a 1991. i told my mom what you all said and she's going to eventually take it to the shop. for now we just have to remember to turn the blinker off or we just drive people nuts behind us!