It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Chance Cyn
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:30 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

It was a great trip but hot. The hottest was 108, but we all survived with the comfort of AC. Jeff put a new definition on "Trail Rated". He needs a "Mountain Goat Rated" emblem on his KJ.

Here are some photos of the trip. I would like to give more, but what happens in Last Chance Cyn, stays in Last Chance Cyn. Great trip!! Let's do it again.

-Burchie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I dont see any pics of the V-notch! All of those setup KJ's and no v-notch! Glad you guys had a great time. I am in the works for a run thru Stone Canyon out in Panamint valley in the near future. I will post up some teaser pics as soon as I come up with a date. Hey Jeff, I see that you have taken on my Style of clothing for Wheeling, Did you put on the Juice for all those to smell ya :lol: !

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:22 pm 
LOST Member

Nice shots Burchie! Almost look like a pro took 'em. :wink:

PM me on the FTP and I'll upload what I've got. I would also love to D/L what you have in hi-res.

Thanks!
Jason

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:30 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Yep...it sure was warm out there !

The trip got started with Jim, Dense and I meeting at Denny's for some fine morning cusine. We topped off our tanks and headed out for the Jawbone Cyn Store about 15 miles from Mojave on Hwy 14 were Jason, Annette, Bill and Mark were waiting to get started.
We drove out the 14 to Randsburg road and headed out to the trailhead, but just like every other time I've tried to find that stinkin trail...we passed it ! Four more u-turns later and we ended up on the right trial which has changed very much ! ...there are fewer obstacles on the trail now than there has been in the past so Im thinking that a bone stock KJ could do this run with careful wheel placement. We made it up to Cudhay camp where we had lunch in the shade of the only trees for miles ! There is a INSANE hill climb nearby that I've never seen or even heard of anyone taking that I lined up (for effect) to see the faces on my trailmates :P .....to my surprise I heard ..Ok...lets go up, over the CB......I wasn't havin any of it..since I'd be the Guinea pig ! Although we did take the climb just to the left of which is pretty step and long. There are some pictures of us going up and down it ( I think everyone got alittle excited on this one). After that little thrill we all made our way over to the Borax Cleanser mine were we had some fun negotiating our way up and down from the mine. It's a neat place...but the sun was just beatin down on that hillside and we all decided to get the heck outta there !

We headed up to Burro Schmidts tunnel and took the walk through the 70 degree cool mine shaft to the other side. One thing I was a little sad about is the way that Toni's house has been ransacked, windows have been broken out..ect.

From the tunnel we made our way out of the area via EP100 trail which is nicely graded and allowed us to make some good time to our next destination Government Peak which is just outside Randsburg. Keeping with tradition...I missed the trailhead for this one too and we ended up in the town of Randsburg. Talked to a passing CHP and we got back on the road where we cut off to Government Peak. Talk about a nice little trail that soon turns STEEP ! ...we accended to just under 5000ft where we were greeted with a panoramic view of the valley floor and 20 mph winds in the 107 degree heat...it wasn't to bad actually..."it's a dry heat" Razz
We made our way down the hill and across to California City where we gassed and aired up...only to find that Jim had cut one of his MTR's on the trail. With the speed of a Nascar team Jim, Jason and I had that tire changed out and we were off for dinner at Ramon's in Roseamond where we all ate way too much before our long drive home !

Another great time with a bunch of very nice adventurer's....I don't know about you...but I really love this club ! Cant wait to go again......!

L.O.S.T. KJ - Liberty Owners Special Team Forum Index » L.O.S.T. KJ WEST » Last Chance Cyn
Jump to:

Last edited by jpzkj on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:34 pm 

Hi guys....just wanted to say thanks for a great day. It was really nice to get out town for a while and spend some time with friends. Can't wait to do it again.

See ya soon,

LOST JEEPS So-Cal
Just a Jeep
named "Sammy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:20 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

More photos....

-Burchie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:19 am 

Boy, I sure needed that run, I was getting a little sick of myself.

What a little desert sand and dust can do for the soul, I feel like a new slug in a spring garden.

Thanks for putting this one together Jeff,
everyone did outstanding, fun day

Thanks,

KJWest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:51 am 

No problem Jim...:twisted: I need mod powers !!

The pictures look pretty darn good, here are some more http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... php?t=1449

Last edited by jpzkj on Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Red rocks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Someone asked about the color of the rocks and here's a page with little more info. There are layers of igneous rocks capped with pink volcanic rocks. Quartz and magnesite form talc at around 400 degrees celsius, under some pressure.

http://digital-desert.com/red-rock-canyon/geology.html

Post subject: Great photos
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:17 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I just got a chance, (Last chance) to look at the photos from Bill and jason. We got photographers in the group!! I'll put a bunch up on my web site this weekend. Good stuff.

-burchie

Post subject: Re: Great photos
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:38 pm 
LOST Member

Burchie wrote:
I just got a chance, (Last chance) to look at the photos from Bill and jason. We got photographers in the group!! I'll put a bunch up on my web site this weekend. Good stuff.

-burchie

I have a new site that has a photo gallery so if you do a batch resize, I can give you anaccount and you can upload them to the gallery!

Later,
J

http://ForMyToys.com

LOST #000462