It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Bear on the 16th
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:40 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

We were thinking about exploring the south side of the lake with Karen next weekend.

If your interested we plan on going on some fireroads that we've never been on over near SugarLoaf. This will be a VERY disorganized (un official unsactioned) run that will include turning around frequently and wondering where we are :lol:

We dont have a game plan or an agenda (so don't bring yours !! ) or a meeting place at this time. I expect it will be a long day and you may end up driving home at nite !

A lunch (maybe even enough for a second meal) and a full tank of gas along with your safety gear will be minumum requirement.

1N01 was discussed
2N10 was run 2 weeks ago and it sure was pretty

Last edited by jpzkj on Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I REALLY want to explore 2N93 . My place is available to meet at, or to end up at and bbq if anybody is interested. The BBQ from hell (as JJ put it) is here.

2002 KJ, Stone White, 4WD, Off Road Group, Selec Trac, Trac Lock, Fuel/Transfer/Tran Skid Plates, Tow Group. Spider rock guard, K&N filter, 2.5 lift, roof rack and boulder bars by All J Products. L.O.S.T. #000091 and LOSTKJWEST member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:32 pm 

How about

2N93 south to the 38 then up to 1N01 and loop around to Burns Cyn to 2N70Y and back to the 38 on 2N02 or 2N01 ? too ambitious ? anyone have any information about these roads/trials ?

Post subject: Big Bear
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:05 am 
LOST Member

I asked the magic 8 ball if I would be going, it replied "My sources say yes".

Is that a good thing???

J

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:19 am 

Quote:
I asked the magic 8 ball if I would be going, it replied "My sources say yes". Is that a good thing???

I'll tell you after the run !

I see you've updated your equipment list a bit "pre-mature"...you have to have the MTR's ON your Jeep 1st !

We might drive up after work on Friday and stay at Motel 6 or the like

Post subject: Big Bear
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:44 pm 
LOST Member

jpzkj wrote:
Quote:
I asked the magic 8 ball if I would be going, it replied "My sources say yes". Is that a good thing???

I'll tell you after the run !

I see you've updated your equipment list a bit "pre-mature"...you have to have the MTR's ON your Jeep 1st !

We might drive up after work on Friday and stay at Motel 6 or the like

Nah, they are in my garage. That counts. :wink:

You guys are welcome to crash here and caravan in the morning - it is fairly consistant 1.5hrs drive. I should know, I did it 3 times last month!

Later,
J

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Jeff,

We are going to try and make it up there, but may have to meet you mid run. Can you e-mail me your cell phone number in case we have already packed the CB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wish JJ and I could go. But, I will be sitting at a desk taking two mega tests :( While JJ and the kids are skateboarding with Roger at Etnies Skatepark :D

Post subject: route
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jeff, I like the plan, sounds great.

2002 KJ, Stone White, 4WD, Off Road Group, Selec Trac, Trac Lock, Fuel/Transfer/Tran Skid Plates, Tow Group. Spider rock guard, K&N filter, 2.5 lift, roof rack and boulder bars by All J Products. L.O.S.T. #000091 and LOSTKJWEST member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:47 pm 

Ok guys here is the deal for the Big Bear exploration run on Saturday

Meeting place is:

Lumberjack Cafe
1001 W Big Bear Blvd
Big Bear City , CA 92314

It's on the south side of the lake just east of the motel 6 and Karen says it's a great breakfast spot !

Meeting place is:

Time is: 8:30am

If you want to have breakfast please be at the resturant by 8am :)

We'll stop someplace to top of on fuel and get some ice before hitting the trail.
As stated in the 1st post...bring food , water , and safety gear

See you guys on Saturday morning !

Post subject: Man I wish
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

man I wish we could...We are racing the Noav on Sunday and still have things to do for that. Stupid Nova... later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:09 pm 

Well, here is the trip report from out little adventure:

We met up with Karen at the LumberJack restaurant and had an excellent breakfast and headed out to see what we could see .

We picked up 2n93 just off hwy 38 and started to explore. This is a fire road with no obstacles but great views and lots of trees ! This area reminded me of the back side of Gold Mountain only straighter and wider. We discovered a very cool camping spot just off the fire road named YP54 (yellow post). If you want to camp in an out of the way spot...this is a great one !. Its just before the cattle guard at the top of 2n93 (look to the left )and offers a table/bench and fire ring with grill attached. It's best feature is seclusion, silence and a wonderful view. The trip down the mountain was about the same as the trip up with more trees...and more scenic beauty. It took about 1 1/2 hours to complete and is well marked top and bottom. You could drive this with stock vehicle w/out 4 whl drive without any trouble (in dry weather).

Where 2N93 drops you off at the 38 its just a few miles back towards Sugarloaf to 1N01. This trail starts like a normal fire road and then turns a little rougher . After a couple of miles there is a fork in the road with a sign rating the trail "moderate" and adopted by the 4x4 Freelanders. Take the road to the leftt which came up on my GPS as PIPES RD. The road to the right is for a radio tower (no cellphone reception though ! ).

1N01 quickly changes from fire road where 2 whl drive is ok ...to a "challenge " for a stock vehicle, and 'hey this is kinda fun for a modified KJ". There were some off camber, close to the edge of the trial spots and some that required careful tire placement. The whole time your getting some really nice views of the valley floor and some nice rock formations close up.
This trail didn't cause me to hit my skids or bars but I did keep my attention and was allot of fun until ...we came around the corner to find the reason for the "road closed ahead " sign that we came across about 2 miles into the trail. There has been a rock slide and it's closed all but the left most side of the trail. There has been some reinforcement of the edge of the road with chain link fence and looked like there was "just enough" room for a jeep to get by. I'm sure a Suzuki Samurai would have fit nicely but it was just allittle to close for us and we turned around. When I said Rock Slide...thats what I meant...1 rock the size of a motorhome slid onto the trail !

I rate 1N01 between Jacoby Cyn and Gold Mountain without the rock garden. It's just challenging to be fun for an experienced driver and just hard enough not to scare off a new driver .

Stock KJ with skids and bars is fine on this trail as long as the driver is adventurous.

And as always, I didn't take one picture cuz there was some much to see I forgot !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:38 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Glad to hear you guys all had a great time! Did anyone else get any pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:47 pm 

Nope...it was just Karen, Denese and I 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

the only pic i wish we had taken was of the big darn boulder blocking our way on 1N01 :x

great trails, great day

khaki columbia edition w/mods
i'd rather be campin'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

That was a boulder? I thought it was Big Foots outhouse. What were those things we drove over, pebbles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:45 am 

I only saw that one rock that was in our way....stupid rock.

Nothing a stick of dynomite or a Jackhammer and 4 or 5 hours wouldnt have fixed !