It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I honestly don't know as I have never been there before. I suggest calling Quinn at this point. I have not heard directly from him about the camping situation but I am still working on it. My guess is they are taking their RV and staying in a campground w/ a group but until I find out for sure I can't comment.

THere is info on the camping areas online:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroun ... kCode=anza

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:21 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Hey Dave, we're heading down Friday night and camping to Sunday morning.
We'd like to stay with the group....where you going to be?

LOST JEEPS So-Cal
Just a Jeep
named "Sammy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:55 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

yazhi wrote:
Hey Dave, we're heading down Friday night and camping to Sunday morning.
We'd like to stay with the group....where you going to be?

I'm looking at coming down Saturday night just for the camping and hang out around the camp fire. I wish I knew were that was going to be,

I'll send Heather an E-mail tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:24 am 
LOST Member

I will talk to my dad about it but I think we'll be able to make it. We probably wont camp as were only about 80 miles from that Arco station. I will let you know as the date gets closer.

Ryan

Rusty's 2.5in Lift
Lund Air Deflector
Hella 500 Series Lights (6)
Sirius Sat. Radio; Garmin GPS System
Amer. Racing ATX Chamber w/Teflon; Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 265/70/16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Annette and others,
Cynde and I are thinking about driving our RV and towing our Jeep into the desert Friday and staying thru Sunday.

One of the things I like about Anza Borrego is that you can camp anywhere and if you are staying out side of a developed campground there are no fees. The only concern is finding a place where an RV can go and finding a place where non RVers have bathrooms.

In the past I’ve stayed near Ocotillo Wells. There is a large open area just off Main St across 78 from Ocotillo Wells. It’s easy access for RVs it has bathrooms for non RVers and it’s close to the sand playgrounds and pretty close to “the slot” a fun drop off into a narrow ravine that leads to a mine. The only negative about this area is that some of the sand toys play all night making it sometimes hard to sleep.

But

Because I’m a social animal and I’m not planning this event and the published campsite is off S22 and not 78 and nobody I know knows the details of the camping off S22. My thoughts are to drive to a known RV camping area at the corner of S22 and Peg Leg Rd it’s just a open lot with no bathrooms. This is where I stay when I have business in Borrego Springs. From there I will disconnect my Liberty and drive to the published campground labeled on the map south side of S22. Then if it looks like I can drive my RV to the camp site I will go back and get it.

If anyone has any more information on camping please post it, thanks
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
2002 3.7L V6 Liberty 4X4 Steel Blue
Skids, Rock rails, Roof Rack, ARB rear Air Locker
Rancho RSX front struts and rear shocks
K&N air intake, Flowmaster 50 series muffler
2.5” Old Man Emu spring lift front
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Edvalencia wrote:
Not sure if I can make this one yet.

How about now? BTW, You gotta bug on ya. :shock:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dave, BTW, Still not getting any more info and really not sure why. I sigend up on the Bear Valley Yahoo site and don't see any more detailed information than I already have. I'm not camping on Friday night so I guess if I stay over Sat night I will just follow the crowds to a camp spot for my tent.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Now I’m really confused. :shock:
I’ve heard a meeting time of 7:45 and a meeting time of 8:30 at the Arco @ hwy 86 & I10. :?
I’ve heard you will meet the campers on your way into the desert and I’ve heard that even the campers should meet at the Arco station. :roll:

If we are camping in the desert do we have to drive out of the desert to follow you back into the desert?
What is the first desert trail and can we meet you there. :P
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sorry for the confusion. I am NOT planning this event and only going by the info I am getting via emails. This is the Bear Valley 4x4 clubs event and I am just trying to get some of our folks to show up since many have not been there yet. I will try to verify what is going on and report back.

At this rate, I am sure if we just show up and hit some trails we will be fine and have fun. I don't care if we find the other group or not since it is just causing me grief to figure out for sure what is going on with them.

You do know the area fairly well don't you Dave?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The last message posted on the Yahoo site is as follows:
Hi everyone

There have been a few inquires as to the camping details for this event. I talked to Quinn (Bear Valley 4X4 Pres.) and he said he would organize the camp out. His cell # is 951-235-0293 or All J office # 909-866-4800. There is a map of the camp area and also Saturday meeting place, for those not camping, on the BV4X4 Yahoo site under photos, and also attatched. If you camp out you might want to fill up your vehicle with gas first (the best place is the Arco on hwy 86S and 66th) prices are pretty good there. There is a station in the town of Occotillo but prices are very high and its out of the way.

For those coming out on Saturday morning we will be meeting at the Arco station on the corner of hwy 86S and 66th st. about 10 miles south of the I 10 fwy. at 8:30 am. The reason so early is there is alot of ground to cover and will take most of the day. I would like to leave the station as close to 8:30 as possible. There is fast food and coffee there.

Vehicle requirements are high clearence 4x4 and able to cover 100 miles of desert terrain without any anticipated problems. I have added a couple of opional difficult sections to the trail to make it fun, plus a couple of sand dune play areas.

Other requirements are plenty of water and food to last a full day, any sun protection you might need, hiking shoes to walk through the "slot", camera and CB radio if possible.

There are 3 state park concrete rest rooms along the trail, I'm sure that will be a relief!!

The desert should be in full bloom at this time and the temperture most likly warm.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Mike Koher

909-553-7230

CB Channel 25

The map referred to in this is the one I posted before. I do not know which partcular camping area they are all staying at but according to this latest post the meeting time is 0830. I will be at the Arco NLT 0800 so hopefully that works out.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: Re: More info
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
We'll be driving through interrior of the Anza Borrego State park as well as the Occotillo Off Highway Vehicle park, cutting across some of the most interesting desert around.

The date for the event will be May 3rd

A few sites are.
17 Palm oasis.
Pumpkin patch.
Occotillo OHV.
Fish Creek wash.
Sandstone Cyn.
The Slot.
Diablo drop off.
The cut across trail in the Occotillo OHV area.
Shell reef. (fossilized sea shell beds)
Blooming desert flowers.
Sand dunes.
Just to name a few!

Most all of the trip is moderate rated for difficulty suited for most stock 4x4 SUV's. I have added about 3 or 4 difficult rated optional side routes just to keep everyone happy who brings their modified riggs or just enjoys a challenge. This makes for a great family orientated outing. Quinn will be co-ordinating camping if anyone would like to camp there for the weekend. The run will be held on Saturday. If you want to attend just for the day we'll be meeting at the Arco Station mentioned below.

Drive time from Lake Arrowhead is about 2+ hours, from Big Bear it's a little longer.

The meeting place for the Saturday day run will be at the Arco station on the corner of Hwy. 86S and Hwy. 111 near Mecca on the north end of the Salton Sea. It is a must to fill up your vehicle here for the run. There is also a Del Taco and sandwich shop along with the AM PM market. Because of the amount of territory we're going to cover we need to be leaving the station by 7:45 Am. We'll be meeting up with the camping group at the Occotillo OHV area on Hwy 22 to Borrego Springs.

We'll be running Channel 25 on the CB

Being an all day event in the desert be sure to bring plenty of water and food for the day.

Above info is what I got in an email about where we will be wheeling. I do not know the area well enough to comment on which spot we hit first and I would go by the latest email info posted on previous post showing the Later meeting time.

Ready to go get LOST??? :D

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: Anza B. May 3rd
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:44 pm 
LOST Member

Ok count me in need to wheel since I didn't make it to Moab. I'll be there Saturday morining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have not traveled into the north east sections of the Anza Borrego but I’m really looking forward to it.

I sounds like after your Arco stop you will be driving south down 86 than west on S22 passing the camp site before you start an actual off road run. If this is true there is no reason for anyone living south of Anza Borrego to drive north of the desert just to meet up with the group and then drive south back into the desert.

If my assumptions are true, my plan is to camp in the desert somewhere where I can take my RV then drive my Jeep to the campsite off S22 before 7:45 and turn on my CB to channel 25 and wait to hear from the group.

If anyone finds out that the run bypasses the camp site (eg starts with a run up Palm wash or start with a run to the calcite mines) let me know so I can plan to meet earlier maybe at the corner on 86 and S22.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:14 pm 

OK...just got done making reservations at Borrego Palm Canyon Camp Grounds, space #81. If anyone care to join us that's where we will. be. I guess we'll be monitoring the CB and meet everyone on the 22.

LOST JEEPS So-Cal
Just a Jeep
named "Sammy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:57 pm 
All J Products Lifetime Vendor
All J Products Lifetime Vendor

yazhi wrote:
OK...just got done making reservations at Borrego Palm Canyon Camp Grounds, space #81. If anyone care to join us that's where we will. be. I guess we'll be monitoring the CB and meet everyone on the 22.

Guys and gals, I Have to work :( so I wont be going this weekend.....

1968 Jeep M715
2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4 door JK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

My daughter’s wedding is in June but I just was informed about a wedding event on this Friday night so I have to change my plans. Instead on a RV weekend I’ll be getting up before sunrise to get to S22 and I’ll be standing by on CH 25. Then after it will be a long drive home.

Although these plans could also change because they are opening up my Diff on Thursday to fix my ARBs. They said they ordered the “normal repairable parts” and if they are correct I’ll get it back for Saturday.

See you in the desert.
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
2002 3.7L V6 Liberty 4X4 Steel Blue
Skids, Rock rails, Roof Rack, ARB rear Air Locker
Rancho RSX front struts and rear shocks
K&N air intake, Flowmaster 50 series muffler
2.5” Old Man Emu spring lift front
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:59 pm 
macgyver wrote:
Guys and gals, I Have to work :( so I wont be going this weekend.....

That's to bad Quinn. It will be good to see Heather and her Jeep again. :D :D

yazhi wrote:

Sounds good. I need to do some camping. I'll be there about 5:30 Saturday night with my, tent, sleeping bag, and a cooler full of beer. Doesn't get any better then this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:19 pm 

sandiegodave wrote:
My daughter’s wedding is in June but I just was informed about a wedding event on this Friday night so I have to change my plans. Instead on a RV weekend I’ll be getting up before sunrise to get to S22 and I’ll be standing by on CH 25. Then after it will be a long drive home.

Although these plans could also change because they are opening up my Diff on Thursday to fix my ARBs. They said they ordered the “normal repairable parts” and if they are correct I’ll get it back for Saturday.

See you in the desert.
Dave

Hey Dave we're going to hang out around Truckhaven and catch up with everyone there....hopefully. I'll PM you my cell #.

CYa,

LOST JEEPS So-Cal
Just a Jeep
named "Sammy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Teresa and I plan to be there and meet up at the Arco station. I just wanted to confirm it was 8:30 and not 7:45? Since this will be our first time in the area, I didn't want to try and catch up if we missed everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

YES, 0830 at the ARCO.

For those camping, or already gassed up, meet at the intersection of 86S and S22 in Salton City. Please make sure you have a full tank or close to it when you get there.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal