It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Twins!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:46 am 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

I just read the thread where you said you were having twins! That's doubly cool. :D

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the congrats.

You are right about the trailhead. Lovell Canyon Road. Where should we meet out there so we can follow you out to the trail. Yep, I think you, Mrkake, just became our leader for the trail ride. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:00 pm 
LOST Member

I know there is a bar a few miles before the turn off on the north side of the hwy. We can meet there becasue it will be easy to spot out. There is usually a bunch of bikers there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:42 pm 
LOST Addict

You sure the bar is on this side of the trail? And yes it is a biker bar. A few of my co-workers go there all the time. They say it has some great chicken wings. Me personally not a huge wing fan. Too much work for too little meat. lol.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Here is a question for you all. Are your wives coming on the run? I know mine will be.

35" tires (thus far)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:28 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

Xodius wrote:
Here is a question for you all. Are your wives coming on the run? I know mine will be.

Mine won't be. The only thing that could get her out of bed that early is a natural disaster. :lol:
She has gone on a few trail runs with me and she says that she likes it, but there has to be some kind of destination or point of interest to stop and see on the way (an old mine, cemetery, ghost town, etc) to keep her interest. That's why I am thinking of getting into geocaching, It will give us something to do along the trails.

I have no issues with anyone else bringing their wife along though. I wish mine was more into the "outdoors thing". Besides, they make good spotters :wink:

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:02 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

From the Pahrump side of the trail the only thing I can think of is a gas station on the south side of highway 160 where Blue Diamond forks to the right and becomes highway 159 heading to the Red Rock side of the mountain. That's only about 15 minutes or so from the trial head and would be a good place to meet. We can also grab any beverages or snacks that we may want to have on the trail.

Here is a Google map that I did for the meeting place and start of the trail. Legend - A) Meeting place, B) Leave highway 160, C) Leave Lovell Canyon Rd, D) Where the fun begins! Everything up to point D is either paved or graded dirt road. I will go at least that far and take some pics before the ride.
http://tinyurl.com/5ob3qd (Its kinda cool, if you click the little camera in the "A" box and click the curvy arrows the photo will rotate and you can see the gas station that I am talking about).

I will lead to point D, but from there we'll see who goes first :)

Does anybody have maps of the area? I could make a trip to the BLM office and see what they have.

Also, what are we using for communication? I don't have a CB but I have been wanting a hand held just for trail runs. I have some FRS walkie talkies in storage somewhere that I could bring along (I think I have 4).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:22 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

Sorry about all the posts but I have been scouring the net for stuff related to the ride and I found a couple of you tube links that might be of interest. This first one is the actual trail that will take us from point D in my previous post to the end of the trail inside Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. It is 5X actual speed and this guy didn't stop and play along the way. It made my wife motion sick to watch it so consider that fair warning if that is an issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFus_xSWxNo

This one is of some TJ's playing in one of the rock gardens along the trail. Looks like fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67cBt7P9QmM

Last edited by mrkake on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:33 pm 
LOST Addict

lol, my wife saw the you tube vid and goes, HELL NO, lol. I told her how I did it in my stock Grand once before and it was no where near that bad. Granted some people may have gone up there and made it more...technical though. Should be interesting. Yes that Gas station is the last place I know before you hit Lovell Canyon.

Once you get back there it is easy. There is only the one way to go. We usually try from RR side. Last time we made it up there the trail got a little worse quicker so I am not sure how that technical area is now.

As for communicating...not sure. We do not have any radios or a CB. Wow I have not played with a CB in about...20 years, lol.

35" tires (thus far)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:43 pm 
LOST Addict

The gas station sounds perfect to me.

My wife will be lounging poolside pretty much all week and she doesn't do too well off road carrying two extra. So I'll be flying solo.

The trail has bypasses for every obstacle we will come to. The Vegas 4 wheelers club or whatever they are called rate it as a 2 and their only recommendation is good ground clearance, not big tires or lockers, so any and everyone will be fine running this trail.

I have 3 or 4 portable talk radios we can use, I need to find them but once I do we can use them for sure.

Mrkake, where is the link to the 5X speed video of the guy doing the trail?

As far as who will lead, we can play it by ear, have a volunteer or just pick a leader by vote. It doesn't matter to me in the east.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:47 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

Quote:
Mrkake, where is the link to the 5X speed video of the guy doing the trail?

Sorry, I noticed that the link didn't work. I edited the post and it is working now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:11 pm 
LOST Addict

The 5X videos actually does a fairly good job of showing what to expect n the trail. Even at that speed. Good find and thanks for the google map url too Mrkake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:36 am 
LOST Member

Gas station sounds good. The Sunday trip I will have my GF with me and possibly a friend. The wed trip I will be solo. As for radios I don't have anything to contribute on that part. Sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well it looks like my house is going to be selling here but I think we may still be in a bit of turmoil around the time of this run. We will have to see .............................

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Still keeping our fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:26 pm 
LOST Member

I got my lift on and alignment done! I might be able to get new tires by these runs. Either way Iam ready to roll!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Sweet! Have you posted any pics yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:10 am 
LOST Member

I just did now. Its in the rig section check it out.

Post subject: Another Vegas JEEPER
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:47 am 
LOST Newbie

Ummmmm..... So I'm the only freak I know that loves to swoon over my KJ in VEGAS! I'm really hoping to get out there with ya'll! (TEXAN)
Only problem for me right now.... Stock and BALD! So maybe one of you buds has a navigator seat available...... I'll trade for a free night stay at my Hotel!
Reply for details!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:57 am 
LOST Addict

Well the trail can be done stock by a KJ but the bald tires I wouldn't recommend. I am driving solo that day so you can be my copilot/spotter on the trail if you want. You can meet us at the gas station and we can decide there if you want to take your KJ or leave it. Or if depending on where you live, if you are close by or on the way, another person that is going could pick you up and drop you off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next