It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anza Borrego update
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Last weekend I joined the Anza Borrego foundation and attended a seminar that included an 8 hour off road trek thru the desert. In fact the trip covered the same trails that I used when I lead the LOST Anza Borrego Desert trip, excluding the drop offs.

One of the lead speakers and trail guides used tracking to identify fossils.
We actually saw 3.5 Million Year old tracks from Cats, Coyotes, Bobcats, Llamas, Horses and Mammoths. WOW!!!!!!! Check out the pictures.

They were in the same area that we traveled thru with LOST but you have to know were to look.
I’ll be traveling through the holidays but maybe next year some of you from LOST might be interested in a first hand look. Sorry but the off roading is easy but the tracks are one of a kind. Ancient Horse fossils and tracks are only found in this area. Also when was the last time you saw a Mammoth track.
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
2002 3.7L V6 Liberty 4X4 Steel Blue
Skids, Rock rails, Roof Rack, ARB rear Air Locker
Rancho RSX front struts and rear shocks
K&N air intake, Flowmaster 50 series muffler
2.5” Old Man Emu spring lift front
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:45 pm 
LOST Member

hi dave! that's super cool! i'm sure we'd be up for another trip out east. in fact, i bought some super warm pyjamas for those cold desert nights. any weekend but Feb 11-12 would be good for us. scott and i went out in may and ran the route that you all did a few months before. that's when i found out that those africanized bees really like me! i was sitting in the car, windows up and 2 found their way in so i went running and they chased me! if we start early enough we can make it over to julian for pie!

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:49 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'm in for a road trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Burchie,
I noticed on your profile that you’re a photographer. You might be able to show me how to take better photos of the faint tracks. Some where in my house I have a slave strobe and I thought that might help. Also I tried to shoot multiple photos stepping back to show the cliff formations that they in so I can find them again. I would also like to get the GPS locations and maybe a satellite map location. Next year I will post a message and see how many would like to go. It looks like we have at least three.
Have a good holiday.
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:45 am 
LOST Addict

Make that four ... wait ... seven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:55 am 
LOST Member

Quote:
I would also like to get the GPS locations and maybe a satellite map location.

dave--we're all over that aspect. we can even show you a little geocaching too... when we went in may we found 27 from S2 then down the badlands overlook through up to S1 (is that what it's called) then bass ackwards to julian and down to 8

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:27 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Dave,
Sounds good. Anything I can do to help let me know.

You might want to try a lower angle with the flash. That will give you more contrast across the tracks. High-lights on the raised parts, and shadow depth in the cracks and low areas. If you light it from over head, everything will go flat and "wash out" the image.

A simple way to add some light from the side is to use a "fill card" to bounce light across the tracks. Just place a piece of white paper, 8 x10 or so, next to the tracks standing up (perpendicular to the tracks) and that will bounce some light across. You can then move the paper closer or farther away depending on how much light you want to bounce from the flash. A small mirror will work too, for more of a specular light. But anyway, get a lower light source and I think that will help you out.

As for the GPS... That's not me. I can't find my way out of a paper bag. :oops:

-Burchie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:57 am 
LOST Newbie

HEY DAVE

My niece, sister-n-law, and I are in for a easy, learning trip in Anza Borrego :D

Let us know when....

2003 Patriot Blue (when not muddy-up), Rusty's 2.5" lift, skids, boulder bars,245/17R16's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:23 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'm in for a scenic trip. I always love looking at fossils.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:30 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'll lead :-)r

-Burchie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:39 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Burchie wrote:
I'll lead :-)r

-Burchie

Ok, everybody do the FLOP...... Do the Burchie FLOP! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:24 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Is that MC Hammar? "can't flop this"

-Burchie
:-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Just think ... in a few million years, future archeologists are going to be wondering what animal left the funny-looking footprint on the ground, with two circular indentations at the perimeter, and a sort of parallelogram connecting them.

"Marcus Burchillis" might be a good name ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:31 pm 
LOST Member

ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!

What else can I say.

Finally he jokes about it.

Doug

Nothing insightful
02 KJ Sport, Franken lifted, 245/75/16 MTR on Rubis, skids and sliders, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

Post subject: Field trip in February
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Lost,
I’m a trail guide at MTRP (Mission Trails Regional Park) the largest urban park in the country. I invited the tracking team and other trail guides to join me on a field trip I also thought interested LOST members might want to join us.

MTRP members,
Field trip to see the 3.5 Million year old tracks and a petrified forest within the Anza Borrego Desert February 26th 2006

This Field trip will start in Ocotillo Wells and continue up Fish creek to Sand Stone Canyon. I have chosen this route because a stock 4 wheel drive would be able to negotiate this route. Some of you 2 wheelers might want to carpool from where the asphalt ends and the dirt begins. This trip will follow a very scenic route and is not intended to be a “major off road adventure”. Our goal will be the destination “3.5 Million year old tracks”. My current plan is to have lunch in what most books describe as the most scenic canyon in Anza Borrego, Sand Stone Canyon. During our lunch break the smaller vehicles will carpool everyone thru this short and narrow canyon.

Because this will be a long day I have chosen a Sunday February 26th so some of you can camp for the weekend. I plan on getting there Saturday. If anyone is interested in joining me Saturday afternoon I will be taking a trip to an old mine and raptor roost near Ocotillo Wells. Also for those that can not make this date I plan on at least one or two preruns in February to make sure the roads are clear and to make sure I can find all of the tracks.

Send me an e-mail or reply to this board if you are still interested or if you would like to go on a prerun. You can even pick the date for the prerun and I will see if I can work it into my schedule.

David Lane

SanDiegoDave Member #270
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:03 pm 
LOST Member

this trip is scheduled for the day after the 4x4 training run. is there any way to move it to the next weekend? i would like to do both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:32 am 
LOST Newbie

I will talk to the MTRP tracking team, they are looking forward to the February 26th weekend. Maybe you would like to join one of the preruns or if there are enough LOST members that would like to go on a differant date I could schedule a second run weekend.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:57 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Dave, I'm very interested in this run too. But that's a lot of traveling in one weekend. I agree with Polly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Cynde has to work March 4th. :cry:

But it looks like we are free the weekend of March 11th - 12 th. :D
How does the long run on March 12th sound?
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:58 am 
LOST Member

that works much better :) we went out to plaster city on jan 14th for some quad running with friends and it seems that that restaurant next the Union 76 in ocotillo wells is now open. can't vouch for the food though--we just drove by.