It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Johnson Valley
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:16 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Johnson Valley

Hey guys, there is a big town hall meeting about this in Victorville, Dec 4th, 5 - 9pm. It's at the Hilton Gardens Inn Victorville. I'm sure you had the same first question that I had. "There's a Hilton in Victorville?"

Anyway...

We had a speaker at the AaT meeting the other night that presented the Power Point slide show that was shown to the USMC, and to explain exactly what was going on with this project. Basically, they (USMC) are NOT going to walk away and just do nothing. They have spent all this time and $$ and need to show something for it. We are going to lose some land, we just need to convince them what land to take. Right now there are 5 other options besides taking most of JV. Some are better then others, but all 5 are better then loosing most of JV.

The meeting is:
Thursday, Dec 4 5-9pm

Hilton Gardens Inn Victorville
12603 Mariposa Rd
Victorville, CA

(there is also other dates at other locations)

I'm going. So if anyone in between Corona and Victorville wants a ride, let me know. I hope to see some of you High Desert people there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:21 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

This desert person will be there. Thanks Burchie for the info!

LOST JEEPS So-Cal
Just a Jeep
named "Sammy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great update. Thanks for going to the AAT meeting for us!!
I might be able to haul butt out there after work for this but if not, take notes.

Gotta tell ya. I am in Love w/ JV big time. That area Rocks and has way too much potential to lose the area. This is one we just gotta fight hard for.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:32 pm 
LOST Member

Gotta tell ya. I am in Love w/ JV big time. That area Rocks and has way too much potential to lose the area. This is one we just gotta fight hard for.[/quote]

You know I avoided the area for years till I started searching around the western end. There are alot of cool trails through the mountains there.
I also did a little exploring in the Stoddard area and found a couple of worthwhile trails. One is a "mini Hammer" canyon that is KJ doable.
The only drawback to the Stoddard area is it resembles Mars - with small bushes. We'll have to plan a run there this winter. There is another cool granite area that resembles Joshua tree NP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:15 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Here is some more info. I'm going to be there. Are you?

-------

--- On Tue, 12/2/08, Bakerhab@aol.com <Bakerhab@aol.com> wrote:
Subject: Johnson Valley Scoping Meetings This Week
To: Bakerhab@aol.com
Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 12:59 PM

Help Save Johnson Valley!

Attend A Public Scoping Meeting on Proposed Marine Base Expansion

Working together everyone can help save Johnson Valley. However, your participation in the public decision making process is critical. You can help save Johnson Valley by attending one of the three Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base expansion scoping meetings. Just walking through the door of one of the meetings to ask questions and gather information sends a loud and powerful message that the future use of Johnson Valley by the public is important to you!

Meeting Dates

December 3, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Twentynine Palms, CA (Twentynine Palms Junior High, Hay’s Gym, 5798 Utah Trail, Twentynine Palms, CA)

December 4, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Victorville, CA (Hilton Garden Inn Victorville, 12603 Mariposa Road, Victorville, CA)

December 5, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Ontario, CA (Convention Center, 2000 E. Convention Center Way, Ontario, CA)

The Marine Corps is studying it's needs to meet the Marine Corps Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) sustained, combined arms, live-fire and maneuver training requirements. The scoping meetings are designed to solicit input from stakeholders, the affected public and agencies regarding issues or interests that should be studied or the reasonable alternatives that should be considered for the study moving forward. Each of the three scoping meetings will consist of an informal, open house session with information stations staffed by Marine Corps representatives. Public comment forms will be available and gathered at the information stations, and a stenographer will be available to take oral comments for inclusion in the record.

At this time the Marine Corps is studying five potential base expansion alternatives and a No Action Alternative. These study alternatives include:

Alternatives 1 & 4 – Add 188,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. These alternatives effectively include expansion in to all of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area. Training movements and live-fire exercises differ between Alternative 1 and 4.

Alternative 2 – Add 122,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative includes most of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area.

Alternative 3 – Add 228,000 acres East of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative does not include expansion into Johnson Valley.

Alternative 5 – Add 188,000 acres West of the base only (Johnson Valley).

No Action Alternative – Marine Corps will seek no additional lands, MEB exercises would occur on existing base.

Take Action Now – Attend at least one public scoping meeting and encourage your family and friends to do the same, and pass along this information to others you think are interested in Johnson Valley’s future. Visit the Partnership For Johnson Valley at www.pfjv.org for additional information and the latest updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll be there. :D

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: District 37 Save Johnson Valley Meet
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:00 pm 
LOST Member

This coming Sat. there is a District 37 - Save the Johnson Valley Event - happening at the Cougar Buttes.
There will be info on the Marine Base expantion issue given there.
I volunteered to lead a run on the Bullfrog Trail on Satuday. There will be a main event tent set up on the north side of the Cougar Buttes
where they hold the Cal Rocks rockcrawling events where everyone will be meeting.