It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A little trip to Vegas
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:56 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

My wife and I are going be in Vegas later this year (Oct or Nov) for a whole week. Neither of us have ever been there, so we want to do a little bit of everything. We're going to spend our first day and a half down at the Canyon and Hoover Dam, then be in a place up around the strip. The main reason for coming out? We bought training classes at Front Sight Training facility for each other for our anniversary. :D

Anyway, at some point during the week I was wanting to rent a Jeep and do some wheeling. Any and all suggestions, ideas, trail-run ideas, Jeep-rental contact info, etc., etc. are welcome!

We won't know exactly what week we're coming down for about a month or so. So no specific plans can be made at this point, but let me know what's going on when and maybe I can adjust to accommodate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:48 pm 
LOST Addict

1st off...you will have to let me know how you like the Front Sight. I will fill you in on my xp after you go.

Next, wheeling in vegas, where do you want to go or should I say how big of rocks do you want to take on?

Into Geocaching?

There is always something to do out here and I am sure I can point you into some areas if not take you on out. Perhaps we will have to get Taz, Doug and Kirk all on board too and do a wheelers or Gass point run. :)

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:56 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Isn't this about the same time as last year that we wheeled with ya'll??? I'm thinking it may be a good time for a 2nd annual Vegas run :D

Don't worry... the only reason I'm think'n is on a count of that Cadilac Margarita I had with lunch :wink: SSHHH do tell the boss LOL

LOST JEEPS So-Cal
Just a Jeep
named "Sammy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:16 pm 

I will be happy to report on our Front Sight training! I am so freakin' psyched about our classes!! I love everything about the place so far and all I've been doing is their online training stuff. I really respect Dr. Ignatius Piazza for starting it and doing all he does.

I would LOVE to hook up a big Vegas run with y'all! That would be AWESOME! I'm really looking forward to meeting as many of my LOST brethren as possible during my trip west!

Trail level: I'd be happy with level 1 or level 2 trails, as my wife has not been offroading with me yet, so I'd like to introduce her to the sport without scaring her half to death. I'd just like to spend a day showing her the majestic beauty of the open west and have a little fun while we're doing it.

I need to find a rental Jeep to take on the trails, but I don't want a company that provides a whole package (meals, drive schedule, trail schedule, etc...which is the majority of what I'm finding). Who can I rent a Jeep from that will allow me to take it off-road on my own and accept the fact that it might/probably-will get scratched? Or are they all guided Jeep tours? The only one I've found that might be right is http://www.lasvegasjeeps.com/ What do you guys know about them? Any local information on possibilities that I'm not finding in my online searches would be really helpful.

Thanks for all the info so far everyone, keep it coming! I'm really looking forward to this Fall trip!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:34 am 
LOST Addict

yazhi wrote:
Isn't this about the same time as last year that we wheeled with ya'll??? I'm thinking it may be a good time for a 2nd annual Vegas run :D

Don't worry... the only reason I'm think'n is on a count of that Cadilac Margarita I had with lunch :wink: SSHHH do tell the boss LOL

You're right it is about the same time...wow hard to believe it has been a year already.

As for jeeps to rent...honestly that one you posted of I have never heard of. I know there is a rental place near the valley auto mall in Henderson which rents jeeps. Although they say not to off road them, lol but it is a rental and they do get beat *shrug*

I was just thinking it might be cool to do Gass peak backwards then over to wheeler. It would be a long day but still fun :) Then again I will have to check some trails and see what else might be good.

Which classes at Front Sight are you taking? What do you shoot?

35" tires (thus far)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:41 pm 

This time we're taking the 30-state CCW class and a multi-day defensive handgun training class to continue our firearms training.

I hunt with rifles, pistols, shotguns, airguns, crossbows, and bow/arrow. So, I guess I would say that I shoot pretty much everything. We target shoot every chance we can. I can't wait for Front Sight!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:23 am 
LOST Addict

Very cool. We recently got our Nevada CCW and are awaiting out Utah ones. Hopefully they will come in pretty soon. The caches our checks about a month and a half ago, lol.

The course that you signed up for, does it give you the free Springfield XDs? I am curious how they compare to the XDms that my wife and I shoot.

35" tires (thus far)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:08 pm 

No, we didn't sign up for the free gun offer. I already have a SA XD Compact in .45 (and I LOVE it) so I didn't really need another one. Of course, I'm never opposed to a free gun, but I found a deal on two classes for substantially cheaper than they offer that package deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Indeed, you can usually find some type of deal for them. Just takes some time to locate it. :)

35" tires (thus far)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:08 pm 
LOST Addict

/bump for update

35" tires (thus far)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Dog_party, I know a dude in a punk rock band called Cat Party.

anyways, a Vegas suggestion, go to Fremont street. They have $2 blackjack tables and a cool crowd. You wont find any BMW driving, rolex wearing, tight pants, faux-hawked Persians sitting at VIP tables, texting how lame the club is while nodding their heads to the latest KISS FM song.

oh, and the dealers are super cool there, when you're hammered and can't make wise gambling decisions, they aren't afraid to let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:49 am 

As an update, we've decided to put this trip off until March of next year. I still haven't found a good 4X4 rental place.