It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time wheeling trail?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:10 pm 
LOST Member

Hey all,
I was wondering if there is a nice easy trail to start off on. I never have really gone off roading and Id like to give it a shot! I dont want to get stuck though because I will be by myself. Anyone have some recommendations for me? I live in Hermosa Beach, so something close by to get me started would be cool.
Thanks
Sam

Post subject: Re: First time wheeling trail?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know of any good spots Close to where you live but I'd suggest heading up to the Gorman area off the 5 fwy to try the training area there. After you play on the training hills, etc. you can run around the rest of the place for kicks. The nice thing is there are almost others around that could help you out if you get in a bind. One of the best things you can do to get started is go with others for safety or w/ a group that can help you learn the ins and outs. Keep in eye on So-Cals runs and join one of the easier ones or one of our AAT runs. Good luck!

John

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks John,
I'll keep an eye out for the next easy group run

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 pm 

Hungry Valley SVRA isn't to far from you. Good variety of trails there.

Jeep Tech Files

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

surfRenegade wrote:
Hey all,
I was wondering if there is a nice easy trail to start off on. I never have really gone off roading and Id like to give it a shot! I dont want to get stuck though because I will be by myself. Anyone have some recommendations for me? I live in Hermosa Beach, so something close by to get me started would be cool.
Thanks
Sam

Hey surfRenegade, if you like the desert (like me) there are enough easy trails and fire roads around the Red Rock Canyon area, off Hwy14, NW of Edwards AFB to explore for many years to come. My friends and I have been going out there for 20+ years in stock trucks and 4x4s. One cool thing and a good into to the desert terrain is Dutch Cleanser mine, Google it... :google: Then Google Burro Schmidt tunnel too.

I also recommend going on the AAT run when it happens. I'm learning there a lot of trails in Big Bear to enjoy. I've never been up there in a 4x4 but I'm looking forward to it. I gather the ATT is OK for stock Jeeps and a really good first day for 'wheeling in the mountains.

Get out there...!

MojaveKJ aka Tony

p.s. love Hermosa Beach... I was raised in Manhattan and always thought Hermosa was way cooler. Live in East WLA now but get back now and then. Buona Vita on Pier avenue for great Italian food.

'13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Trasharoo, Husky liners, Skid Row plates, Ursa Minor J30, Expedition One rear bumper & tire carrier, Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount, SuperStar 4900+ transceiver, iPad Mini with MotionX GPS.