It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 4WD Liberty is now a 2WD Liberty
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

On an easy run (and 2 LOST members will vouch for me) my 4WD became a 2WD.
The good news is that the dealer is replacing it for free.

There was a small rise with moguls and one of my front tires started to spin and when I touched the brakes POP and CLICK CLICK I smelled oil and my car would not move until I put it in 2WD.

Maybe the front differential housing is not strong enough for a tru track locker?
Is the back differential stronger?
After they replace the front differential, Should I put a locker only in the back?
Any ideas?
If you know me I do not push my Jeep to the limit.
I’m also thinking about leaving the diffs open or maybe putting in an air locker in the back only

SanDiegoDave Member #270
2002 3.7L V6 Liberty 4X4 Steel Blue
Skids, Rock rails, Roof Rack, ARB rear Air Locker
Rancho RSX front struts and rear shocks
K&N air intake, Flowmaster 50 series muffler
2.5” Old Man Emu spring lift front
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:56 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

There's that crack all the way to the edge of the pumpkin. I am starting to believe in the collar reinforcement more and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

pixeldzn wrote:
There's that crack all the way to the edge of the pumpkin. I am starting to believe in the collar reinforcement more and more.

yeah, my thoughts also, sorry to hear about your mishap but happy that the dealership is covering you.

-Nick

Lost lifetime member - NB060402 -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Boy that looks familiar and the way you describe it happening sounds like how mine broke. A little tire spin and application of the brake to control it and Boom! Just like mine. :evil: Stupid Dana 30a! :x

Your rear diff should be fine w/ pretty much Any locker though an ARB would be pretty cool in there. Adding another front locker is up to you as some say the front locked will spread the load to both axles even though they are not what keeps failing. I also wonder if a purpose built diff reinforcement collar would help? Hmmmm??

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:29 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

That sucks Dave. Glad they're fixing it for you.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Before I took it in I removed the skids, thus removing some of the evidence of the major offroading. The skids had some deep scratches. Also last week I had the dealer change the diff fluids.

So when I took it in I stated that they changed the fluids last week and could they have caused this problem? I said at first I thought maybe they didn’t put fluid in but after the POP there was fluid dripping from everywhere. The dealer said he could not see how the service could have caused this problem. He said I have a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty on the drive train but he would have to check it to see if the damage was covered. I did not tell them that I (we) installed the tru trac. I asked if he had ever seen the front diff split like this before and he said no. So I left the Jeep with them.

A few hours latter the dealer called me back. He apologized and stated that this should have never happen and that the warranty will cover the entire repair. I never had to pressure them to take care of the problem they were very apologetic to fix a problem that they said should have never happened.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

sandiegodave wrote:
Before I took it in I removed the skids, thus removing some of the evidence of the major offroading. The skids had some deep scratches. Also last week I had the dealer change the diff fluids.

So when I took it in I stated that they changed the fluids last week and could they have caused this problem? I said at first I thought maybe they didn’t put fluid in but after the POP there was fluid dripping from everywhere. The dealer said he could not see how the service could have caused this problem. He said I have a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty on the drive train but he would have to check it to see if the damage was covered. I did not tell them that I (we) installed the tru trac. I asked if he had ever seen the front diff split like this before and he said no. So I left the Jeep with them.

A few hours latter the dealer called me back. He apologized and stated that this should have never happen and that the warranty will cover the entire repair. I never had to pressure them to take care of the problem they were very apologetic to fix a problem that they said should have never happened.
Dave

Is this a Five star dealer? It's sounds this way, i am glad that there are dealers out there fixing this issue no questions asked, the way it should be.

-Nick

Lost lifetime member - NB060402 -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:11 am 
LOST Member

hey dave--did you take it to Carl Burger? i've never had that kind of service from them. last time i took my jeep in for the gas tank issue they kept it for 2 days and i had to call them to find anything out. btw, they quoted me about $600 to fix so i just brought it home.

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:24 am 
LOST Newbie

I took my Jeep to the place I purchased it.
Wes Hinkle's Poway Jeep.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

:shock: wow that's bad! Does that mean that the front differential cannot handle a diff lock? What about a limited slip? I was planning to put either a limited slip or a diff lock in the front differential on my 2002 Liberty Limited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mvef wrote:
:shock: wow that's bad! Does that mean that the front differential cannot handle a diff lock? What about a limited slip? I was planning to put either a limited slip or a diff lock in the front differential on my 2002 Liberty Limited.

Drive it nice and easy and you shouldn't have to worry. I think it is partly bad luck as there are some that have beaten up on theirs and not broken the diff and others like me that barely beat it and it broke. Best thing to do is Not spin or bounce the front tires while spinning if at all possible. The front locker actually Helps keep that from happening so it should be Ok to install.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok thanks, but since my Liberty is stock will spinning the tires break the front diff too? I have done that driving down a trail or two. I have even used more throttle to try to get it to go and ended up digging into the sand or dirt with the front tires spinning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes, that could break it also. Take it slow and easy.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

I really think there is an engineering problem. The “limited slip” kicks in too fast when a tire is spinning and the brakes are applied. Yes I think you’re right if you start every hill with one foot on the brake to stop a wheel from spinning this problem probably would not happen. But you usually do not ride your brakes unless you perceive that the hill is enough to spin a tire. The hill I went up was a small short hill. The problem is once you start spinning a tire if you just back off the gas you start rolling down the hill backwards until you step on the brakes.

I think my next lockers will be full lockers not limited slip lockers. That way when they’re on they’re on and when they’re off they’re off.
Dave

SanDiegoDave Member #270
2002 3.7L V6 Liberty 4X4 Steel Blue
Skids, Rock rails, Roof Rack, ARB rear Air Locker
Rancho RSX front struts and rear shocks
K&N air intake, Flowmaster 50 series muffler
2.5” Old Man Emu spring lift front
LT245/75R16 BFG A/T KO's