It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death Valley-October
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey kids!

We had enough showing of hands and enthusiam at Big Bear to stir up another Adventure Trailers sponsored run to Death Valley. Last year we had 17 vehicles show. The dates will be October 15-16-17 (that's Sat-Sun-Mon). For those of you who joined us last year, you know just how spectacular the area is, for those of you who have not been but would like to go, you're in for a serious treat! The run starts in Olancha on hwy 395. It's about a 230 mile loop trip through Saline and Eureka Valleys in Death Valley National Monument bringing us out in Independence, only 39 miles north of where we start. The wheeling for the most part is easy wth a few sections to challenge the novice and experienced depending upon the line you take. This trip is fine for a stock KJ but you'll need to be packing for the desert i.e. you'll need 5 gallons of spare gas and plenty of drinking water and other must have gear. If you'd like to see pix of last years run, go to http://www.lostkjwest.com/deathv.htm
e-mail me direct at mario@adventuretrailers.com and I'll shoot you a trail description and other information.

Woohooo, are we there yet?

Post subject: About time
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

About time Mario. I know you have all that free time. You only work like 120 week...where the heck you been...Did you get lost or something. Really looking ofrward to the DV trip again. later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:09 pm 
LOST Member

woo-hoo! looks like i'm free that weekend (but scott'll be in utah, poor baby). another camping trip with me and bella! we'll also be going out 3 weeks later with the ROC club and DV Ghost.

you can see my pix here: http://www.18toes.com/lambchick/deathvalleytrip.htm

would we be going the same way or different?

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WOOOHOOO! LOST Folks in my neck of the desert! Count me in!

Mario do you have a list of trails that will be run?

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:49 am 
LOST Addict

Count all four of us in again :)

Post subject: Death Valley in November rather than October
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Could we do this run the first weekend in November, rather than
the weekend of October 15th? I can't make it the weekend of
October 15th, and the ROC folks are planning a run for that
first weekend in November.

I know this works for Luckey, but what about others?

I went to the Bristlecone Pines this last weekend with a ROC group,
and as I was checking out the map, I saw some cool alternative routes
into Saline, if we didn't want to repeat the Lippincott route in-bound.

DVghost

Post subject: HUH...the returm trip would be cool by me
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Man o man...doing the same trip as last time would be cool by me. I dont know about you guys but I had a blast doing the trail we took last time. I just really enjoyed the camping at the springs and am looking forward to going there again. I really dont care if I ever leave the campgrounds the entire time I am there. later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:43 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'm in no matter which way we go.
I agree with Clint, those hot springs are great!

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm in what ever day of the week it is! It's nice living this close to all the good trails :P

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:40 pm 
LOST Addict

My boss is cool with whatever day I take off, so once we have a firm date I'll ask for the day off. I already asked for a day off on the 17th, in my initial enthusiasm :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:17 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I'm there, I can not get enough of Death Valley,
the problem is my jaw stays locked in a droped position and I drool on my shirt the whole time driving and look kind of stupid. Thats ok. I hope you folks do'nt mine.

KJWest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:14 am 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Jim just set himself up for a snappy comeback.... :twisted:

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject: November in Saline
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Are you in for November, Matt? If the main valley turns Jim into a
puddle, imagine his reaction to the oases in Saline!

DVghost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:21 am 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

I'll be in Key West for 2 weeks so you guys'll have to take lotsa pictures.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Matt, Be sure to stop into the HogsBreath and Irish Kevins for me! Man I miss that place! Can I go with you?

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:25 pm 
LOST Addict

There's no chance to refill water along the route, right? How much extra should I carry for myself and my 3 year old son? 15 gallons + 5 gallon sunshower enough for 3 days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:37 pm 
LOST Member

if we camp in saline valley again there's open air showers fed by the warm springs. the biggest thing to remember is that the saline valley campsite is "clothing optinal" so, even though us Jeepers kept our clothes on, not everyone did.

also as far as drinking water if you go with 64 oz per person a day times 3 days you get 384 oz or 3 gallons needed total for both.

i went to sam's club and bought the liter size bottles, which are about 33 oz each. you can also substitute some gatorade for water.

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:30 pm 
LOST Addict

LuckeyDuckey wrote:
if we camp in saline valley again there's open air showers fed by the warm springs.

Natural spring water, right? It's reasonably clear of thermophilic amoebas, I hope :D

LuckeyDuckey wrote:
the biggest thing to remember is that the saline valley campsite is "clothing optinal" so, even though us Jeepers kept our clothes on, not everyone did.

Aw, I don't have a problem with clothing optional. My son ("Turbo Monkey") is especially happy to frolic around in the nude. When we went to the beaches in Phuket, Thailand, off came the clothes. Went to Hume Lake in Sequoia National Park, off came the clothes. At the slightest mention of "lake", "ocean", or "beach", off came the clothes.

Wow, there are a lot of fun readings from "Saline Valley clothing optional" google search.

"In Saline Hot Springs, birthing or attempting to give birth in the waters is specifically prohibited." --- Title 36, 3.21, Death Valley National Park Regulations.

My goodness, if THAT went into the regulations, it must have meant someone tried :D

Thanks for the water usage tips. I think 15 gallons would be plenty for cooking/cleaning, then.

Oh, and this quote is so good I had to edit this to add it.

<b>Article in Forbes talking about Saline Valley</b>
... "Lizard" Lee Greenwell, <i>He's the guy who can fix your car if it breaks down. If you yourself break down in the 120-degree heat, he's also the guy with the emergency radio who can get you helivacked out in 30 minutes. Most campers find that helping Greenwell by driving in a few supplies--bleach (for pool-cleaning), books and booze are always welcome--is a politic idea. If and when the odd malefaction occurs, he reports it to authorities.

"A couple of years ago we had a German guy come out here," recalls Lizard Lee. "After a few days he ran out of food, but he stuck around anyway. When he had finally gone I had a look at his campsite, and I noticed all these little bones lying around. I couldn't figure out what they were until I noticed the goldfish pond was empty." </i>

:-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:38 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Never mind....

Last edited by Burchie on Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:54 pm 
LOST Member

lizard lee is nice but kinda scares me because i don't want to make him mad. he's hard of hearing in one ear so you have to speak up when you talk to him. he has even set up a little library too

the same water that you shower with fills the tubs and i showered and sat in the tubs and didn't get the heebie geebies.

my funny story from there is when i wanted to shower and a couple came up to use the tubs. the rule is to rinse off before entering the tubs so the man saw me and asked if i wanted to shower first and i said he could go ahead because i was going to take a longer shower than just a rinse. as he was showering and i stood waiting but turned around he started talking to me like "where are you from" and i told him we were the big group of jeeps and blah blah and then he asked another question and because i like to look at people when i talk to them i turned around and thank god there was the branch of a bush covering him across the middle!