It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LJSC Communication Plan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

With a lot of our group members active in radio communications, I would like to recommend we standardize the radio channels or frequencies that we may use on the trail. Having a set of standard set of frequencies for CB, FRS/GMRS, and Amateur radio would allow for easier communications access. Announcing preset radio channels for events can be useful when group members are trying to meet at a designated rally point. Also, as we travel to and from an event we would have communication access when traditional devices (cellular telephones) are offline or out of reach.

As we build this communication plan, we should designate a primary and secondary frequency for the different modes of communication we may use on the trail (CB, FRS, GMRS, & Ham). Keep in mind, we will undoubtedly reach a trail and may hear others using our designated frequency; having a secondary frequency will allow us to have another frequency to work. Something else to consider is designating radio channels with high power relay radios (repeaters). Having access to area repeaters can be a communication safety net if we lose cellular reception on these backcountry trails.

I have enclosed a link to an example of a communication plan developed by the Riverside Emergency Communications Group (RECG); http://www.rcgj.net/files/recg_com.pdf

For those who want to learn more about emergency communications or EmComm, please visit http://forum.cert-emcomm.net

Post subject: Re: LJSC Communication Plan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:44 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Ray,
Thanks for posting, that is some great info. We will definitly be looking into what frequencies we will run as a club soon. This is something we will need to do as more and more members are getting licensed. Thanks again

Post subject: Re: LJSC Communication Plan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

allyrand wrote:
Ray,
Thanks for posting, that is some great info. We will definitly be looking into what frequencies we will run as a club soon. This is something we will need to do as more and more members are getting licensed. Thanks again

The comm plan would include specific CB channels, FRS channels, and some GMRS; there is no need for licenses on these modes of communication. We are also using those modes on our past events with this group.

I would be willing to piece a plan together for all of the communication modes. Since we run our events near or around Big Bear I have a bunch of open repeaters I can add to the plan.

As I said, I am willing to do the work for the group.