It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santiago Peak this Saturday, June/3
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Is anyone up for a run to Santiago Peak this Saturday? I've been looking at the peak since I got here five years ago :D It's about time I go up it. We're going to take the El Toro / Harding Truck Trail up to it, instead of the Indian Truck Trail (which is a roundabout way to get to it from where I live).

Anyone? Bueller?

Last edited by dirtykj on Wed May 31, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tell me more, where is it at area?

What is the trail rated?

I'm itchin to get out.

06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:13 pm 
LOST Addict

It's rated 'moderate', and there are supposed to be some rocky sections (small rocks?) near the top, but since I won't be taking the trail that's mentioned in the guidebook I can't really tell you :D

The trail that I plan to take is popular with mountain bikers, so I don't imagine it'll be very tough in the KJ. There are some photos:

Harding Truck Trail

Another link to Harding Truck Trail

I'm thinking of doing this one mostly for the views :D It's supposed to be 15 miles long, so plan on this being a full-day run. If you have the Delorme Southern/Central California Atlas & Gazetteer, the road is on page 104, grid C-3. You basically come up the 5, exit El Toro road, go north until the fork and start taking the dirt road up to Santiago Peak.

Like I said, I've been eyeing these peaks ever since I got here :D Now it's time to do something about it.

The topo trail outline is here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:05 am 
LOST Newbie

I've done this trail a few times seeing as it's literally in my backyard. It is a really amzing view if you go on a clear day. The trail is actually really easy, it's just really long as you said. It's worth it though

Full Mopar Skids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Can't go tomorrow :( Jeep's still at the dealer today getting the steering rack bushing and stuck-key-in-ignition taken care of. It probably won't be clear tomorrow anyhow. I'm pushing this out until next Saturday :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:18 pm 
LOST Member

Call before you go. Typically it's closed from April-October for the toads to, well you know. Online says it's closed but you could call anyway.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/

Mike R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:15 pm 
LOST Addict

I went to check it out yesterday (all gates are open, disregard what's on the webpages and automated trail status system). I took 5S04 up to 3S04, and the views were spectacular. It's not a hard trail, however there are two side roads that could be difficult.

The first one was off to the right side (as you go up 5S04, about a mile before the intersection of 5S04 and 3S04). This is a deeply-rutted section, with about 1.5-foot deep pockets.

The second one was right at the intersection of 5S04 and 3S04, and it's a steep climb up. I held the phone horizontally, and you can just barely see a bit of sky at the top of the phone cam's field.

A little past the intersection on Main Divide road, going to Modjeska Peak, there was this grave cross:

I found the entry describing what happened on that faithful day.

His final resting place is as serene as he could have hoped for, IMHO.

I plan to do the trip again on Saturday 6/3. This happens to be the same day as the OC Duathlon, so traffic on Santiago Canyon Rd. might be slow. Anybody want to come along?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:34 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

How far ...... west? North??? did you go. To Corona? Did you make it to the doppler ball? My house is right down there. I don't have a good map of that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:53 am 
LOST Addict

I didn't go to the north end of North Main Divide, if that's what you're asking, Burchie. I took 5S04 up and turn south onto 3S04 to get to the peak.

I take it you live near Beek's Place?

You want to come meet us up on Santiago this weekend?