It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting LOST in Uwharrie on Labor Day weekend 9/2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Let's meet at the El Dorado Outpost at 9:00AM on 9/2/2007.

Definitely going
1) dirtykj
2) Ronnie Helmo

Maybe going
1) jordan

Can't go (weenies, posers, and other losers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:48 pm 
LOST Addict

We had a lot of fun yesterday. The following people showed up: me and rest of gang, Dave & Crystal, Jordan, Jason & one other person (sorry, forgot your name).

We all showed up around 9:00AM at the Outpost and aired down before we left. We started at the trailhead around 9:30AM or so.

Yours truly did a lousy job as a trail guide, missing the first two entrances before settling on the third entrance to Rocky Mountain loop and traveling north - northwest. We did a near loop going to Sawmill (92A). IIRC the ravine was on Sawmill and that was the first interesting challenge for the guys ("that was tight!").

After Sawmill we merged on to Dutch John (90), then on to Falls Dam (96) and finished the day with Dickie Bell (96A).

There were some notable obstacles on this route. I believe Dickie Bell is underrated in a couple of places. I remember two rocky uphill sections that gave me a bit of a workout.

This is Dave just past the first of the two harder rock formations on Dickie Bell.

One rock outcropping in Dickie Bell had three lines going up it and I first tried the center line and got stuck. I had to reverse and took the right line at which point I heard a loud crack and thought it might have been my front diff but luckily it was not :shock:

Dave followed right along and had to bump forward to get the KJ up using the momentum (you weren't stuck on anything, just didn't get enough flex to get traction to go forward).

There was also a section on Dickie Bell that had two lines going downhill. The left one was safer line, and the right downhill line could be done in a KJ with maybe a bump on the rear as the back end drops down.

The TJ guy did the right-hand line and tried to avoid the rock by going up the side of the wall. This nearly gave me a heart attack since it puts the TJ at quite an angle, but they weighted down the Jeep and got through it alright. Personally I wouldn't take that line even though it's more fun. :shock:

Overall the CRD's traction control worked out great. 8)

So here we had three Jeeps: an open/open KJ, a CRD with traction control, and one TJ with 33" and one heck of a lift. All made it up the trails with different techniques :D

Nobody got stuck. Everybody had a great time. Will definitely do this again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:18 am 
LOST Member

I have to echo Bill, Crystal and I had a GREAT time. Uwharrie is a real gem. Below are a few of the better photos that we took. First is Bill's Liberty flexing, second is Jordan Wrangle "in" the trail and the last is my CRD feeling a sense of accomplishment. Enjoy!

-Dr. Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:34 am 
LOST Member

Looks like we have similar taste, Bill. Sorry for the repeat photo post - it took me a long time to figure out how to do it.

-Dr. Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dont see a TJ, only a YJ...?? Nice pics though 8)

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:39 pm 
LOST Addict

kj in a tight spot wrote:

Ya ya, I didn't get a look at the headlight and most of the time he was the tail gunner :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dirtykj wrote:
kj in a tight spot wrote:

Ya ya, I didn't get a look at the headlight and most of the time he was the tail gunner :)

Alright 8) Well Im movin back to NC next year so I'll prolly be draggin the big ol yeller through Uwharrie a bunch...movin the Albemarle

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Here's the picture of the second obstacle on Dickie Bell.