It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Redwolf698 or anybody in the fuguay varina area
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:15 am 
LOST Newbie

How is it down there? I maybe looking to move down to that erea. My wifes sister lives in holly springs so you know the deal to be close to family. So anything you can tell me about the area would be a help like jobs where to live where not to ect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:21 pm 
LOST Member

My wife is from mass and she loves it here....but what do you do for a living?, what kinds of things do you do for recreation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

It's a great place. I originally moved to the greater Raleigh area in 1994. I didn't know a soul in town, just decided to get out of New York before I got stuck.

I moved to Fuquay in 2000, and it has continued to grow like mad. This area is about 30,000 people, with a lot happening as far as retail growth goes. Holly Springs has really blossomed into a wonderful bedroom community and is a great place as well. Cary is another spot that a lot of people have chosen, it's laughingly called the "Containment Area of Relocated Yankees" which is exactly what it is in my opinion.

This area is a great place to raise a family, enjoy outdoor activities and to basically live life. It's a very challenging area to be a single person, as there is a lot of activities, but they are spread out quite a bit, and there is no good cultural activities which attract the majority of people.

There are a lot of employers in the Raleigh, Cary, Research Triangle Park area, and the service industry is a major employment route as well.

I am seriously debating a move, as I just don't know that I fit in here. I moved into my neighborhood three years ago, and just don't have any friends or people to hang out with. My "crowd" left a few years ago and being a single dad, I don't have a lot of time for the search of new friends... I also would like tobe closer to the mountains, which are more of my style than the beach is.

So that's it in a nutshell, kind of hard to describe it all to you without knowing what you're thinking of. One MAJOR thing to prepare yourself for, that takes its toll on a lot of folks, is a transition from WA to NC weather could be brutal for you the first year. I like it hot, and it gets HOT for sure...

let me know if I can answer anything for you... You can always hit me up on email at redwolf698@nc.rr.com for additional info...

Good luck!

Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
H&K USP .45 Attitude Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:52 am 
LOST Addict

Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs, Cary ... they're all the same, more or less. Like Daniel said, "culture" is available but you have to look hard. Downtown Raleigh is not quite like other US metropolitan downtown (the streets are packed tighter, more foot-traffic friendly). You wouldn't really find a block or two, or three, with concentrated "places to go" (i.e., museums, aquariums, orchestra hall, public library, etc.)

In terms of natural resources:

1.5 hours (or more) to the west: Uwharrie NF, the mountains, waterfalls (5-8 hours west)

2.5 hours to 5.5 hours east: Wilmington Beach or the Outer Banks barrier islands.

Lots of lakes around, and the Neuse river can take you most if not all the way to the ocean if you wanted (and there's enough water).

What NC has / doesn't have:

has: mountains, beaches, lakes, nice people, good Chinese food, different mix of ethnicities, seasons, Outer Banks, mud, trees, more trees, shipwrecks, abandoned mines, indian petroglyphs, dinosaur

doesn't have: desert, slickrocks, arches, buttes, spires, decent texas-style barbecue, decent Thai food ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:17 pm 
LOST Member

Hawg wild over in cary has really good texas style BBQ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dirtykj wrote:
doesn't have: desert, slickrocks, arches, buttes, spires, decent texas-style barbecue, decent Thai food ...

What? I swear I ate some Thai food over at some place in Apex. It was kid friendly, mom and pop sort of place. :)

slick rocks? Uh, the snot on the rocks in Uwharrie is as slick as it gets. There is a rock water slide outside of Asheville.

Ask Daniel about the buttes around here, he said my ex had a butte that wouldn't stop.

CRS-Rock Rails * Rusty's Lift * *MTR's * Husky Mats * The 'Grill' and Shelf

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:02 pm 

I don't know what to say...

She did have a nice butt that's for sure. Made me warm inside...

But somehow, she turned out to be anothe red-headed psycho.. hm...

I think Thai food is a little more specific... if anyone could find it, you could. The Chinese is REALLY hit or miss though. NC Barbecue makes up for any shortcomings in Texas style...

I miss Greek restaurants...

Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
H&K USP .45 Attitude Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info guys.
06LIB as to what I do I drive a truck I like to play softball go camping not in a tent but in my trailer an work on my car when I can.
I think I was born in the wrong part of the country just look at the clues
1 I drive a truck for a living
2 I like country music
3 I have a Trans am in parts sitting on blocks in the front yard
4 just joking about 3 its inside and I drive it when ever I can

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:17 pm 
LOST Member

ur' definately on the wrong part of the globe. I had a camaro while i lived in mass ( Drag car)....but I was called a redneck for having it. so move on down and Ill help ya get it on the road so you can drive around and feel in place....its too cold up there anyway, wicked cold that is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:56 am 
LOST Newbie

06LIB Your right about the cold but it starting to warm up its been in 40's the past couple of days as to the car its on the road now I drove it one day last week just around the block next month I can get it out to start enjoying it for the season