It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Relocation help!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:42 am 
LOST Member

I live in New York (Upstate,Orange County) and I am looking to relocate to North Carolina soon, I have visited a few times and I would like your opinions on where it' nice to live. I visited the Iradell,Cabarrus county area, I like the proximity to Lake Norman and Charlotte. I am looking for Low crime, Good schools, Great BBQ, Wheelin and Fishin and a Great Neighborhood ) and prefer the burb's or rural areas. So I would really like your input. I 'm looking to get out of the north for good reasons, yeah I know I would be just another yankee transplant but it's time to move on. Thanks for your help...

OME MD lift/ Nitrocharger Shocks/struts
FIRESTONE DESTINATION AT 235/75/16
N.Y. GIANTS FAN!!!!
Go DEVILS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When you get down here, don't say that you miss anything, the area you are looking at will send you packing.

Anyway, Charlotte has so much sprawl as long as you are not inside the city limits, it should be pretty crime free. It really depends on what type of job you are looking for.

CRS-Rock Rails * Rusty's Lift * *MTR's * Husky Mats * The 'Grill' and Shelf

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:13 am 
LOST Member

LoganSix wrote:
When you get down here, don't say that you miss anything, the area you are looking at will send you packing.

Anyway, Charlotte has so much sprawl as long as you are not inside the city limits, it should be pretty crime free. It really depends on what type of job you are looking for.

I'm a Paramedic in NYC ( south bronx ) and trust me I'm not going to miss anything ( well maybe the N.Y. Giants but I'll just get Direct tv and also Donna's Sicilian pizza in N.J. also lived in four different states so my roots are barely attached. ) I was also looking at Wake county and my wife has job oppurtunity within the Research Triangle and North Carolina Research Campus. How is it living in Cary and what are the bad points about the original areas I suggested ? Thanks for your help... Also do you know anything about Harrisburg or Kannapolis..

N.Y. GIANTS FAN!!!!
Go DEVILS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:17 pm 
LOST Addict

The tri-cities (Raleigh,Cary,Durham) area is a great place. Lots of families with kids in that area. Uwharri is just under 2 hours away!

Mid-Atlantic & Carolina LOST #236236
2006 TJ Solar Yellow Rubicon
Lockers, Springs, Skids, Headers, Snorkel,
Exhaust Work, 4.5 Long Arm, Warn M8000
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers Moab's/SpiderTrax, 6000k HID, IPF H4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:52 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

We've covered some of these questions in recent threads....

Kannapolis/Charlotte area is fantastic. You sound like you'd like to have the perks of the "rural" areas, good fishin' and barbecue, etc... Now, we here in Eastern NC believe in a different style Barbecue than those from SC or Western NC or (shudder) up north. I'll take some Lexington cue any day...

The "triangle" is OK, great to raise a family and OK to meet neighborhood folks, but if you want to really get a lot of "cultural" stuff, then Charlotte is bigger and more interesting area.

Charlotte is closer to the mountains, Raleigh closer to the beaches. Charlotte has soccer, basketball and football. Raleigh has hockey and Tobacco Road (if the college sports are your thing).

Being from NYC (you will automatically be identified as an ( * ) for a while) you will have a lot of adjusting to to get used to the ways of life and the methods to peoples madness down here, but if you like it, there is no better place to be.

A paramedic would do well in any of the metro areas, with the infrastuctures as taxed as they are, I am sure you'd be quick to find employment.

Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
H&K USP .45 Attitude Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just for reference :

Triangle = Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill. Also includes Cary. It's in the middle of the state. IT companies, Telecom companies, and BioTech companies. It's called the Research Triangle because of the 3 major universities. In the middle is the Research Triangle Park, which has all the main companies. Cary is the safest city over 100,000 population in the U.S. The area is probably 35% NYC transplants.

Triad = Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Kernersville. It is between Charlotte and the Triangle. Furniture manufacturers are the big thing.

Charlotte = Charlotte, Kannapolis, Salisbury. On the western side of the state. This is where the banks and marketing companies are. It has more urban sprawl than the Triangle, but more people live in the area.

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:16 pm 

The Greensboro area has a ton of high tech now, just landed HondaJet for instance. Manufacturing more than research and development. The largest blank CD manufacturer in the world is located just south of High Point.

Charlotte is West, but the furthest South in the state as well. As Charlotte grows, it is slowly creeping north towards Winston Salem, and West towards the hills. It has all ready creeped far to the east, encompassing towns like Concord.

LoganSix wrote:
Just for reference :

Triangle = Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill. Also includes Cary. It's in the middle of the state. IT companies, Telecom companies, and BioTech companies. It's called the Research Triangle because of the 3 major universities. In the middle is the Research Triangle Park, which has all the main companies. Cary is the safest city over 100,000 population in the U.S. The area is probably 35% NYC transplants. And called the Containment Are of Relocated Yankees for a reason.

Triad = Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Kernersville. It is between Charlotte and the Triangle. Furniture manufacturers are the big thing.

Charlotte = Charlotte, Kannapolis, Salisbury. On the western side of the state. This is where the banks and marketing companies are. It has more urban sprawl than the Triangle, but more people live in the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:08 am 
LOST Member

Wow!! your help is great. A few points though I definitley like rural/suburban areas. I don't live in NYC ( although born in Manhattan) I live in the woods surrounded by State forests and a Lake. I hate the 1 hour and a half drive into work everyday and the same time to get back home. The EMS system in North Carolina is more appropiate for me. The overly high taxes ( and just getting higher by the minute ) sucks. I'm outpriced in my area for a new home. I enjoy N.C. everytime I pass by on my way to see family in Florida ( Like Driving ). Big NASCAR fan, And I eat all BBQ ( actualy I eat pretty much anything :) ).. I'll have to do some more research on the Triangle area.. But I have one more question REDWOLF said " you will have a lot of adjusting to to get used to the ways of life and the methods to peoples madness down here " I've dealt with and seen alot of S@*T how bad can it be? I'm very adaptable..

N.Y. GIANTS FAN!!!!
Go DEVILS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

fdems wrote:
. But I have one more question REDWOLF said " you will have a lot of adjusting to to get used to the ways of life and the methods to peoples madness down here " I've dealt with and seen alot of S@*T how bad can it be? I'm very adaptable..

No, it's not the craziness of NY people, it's the slow life style. Laid back life style. And, then there's the redneck cough**Daniel**cough life style.

BTW, um, not sure you noticed on your travels or not, but all NC cities are surrounded by woods. It's just how we do things down here. :D

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:36 am 
Bush Hunter

my mum in law lives in the raleigh-durham area. when we visited there, I didn't want to leave. I hate the east coast! errr, I used to. I want to move there, just not the right time.

Curt class III/IV hitch, and wireing
O.K. Offroad steel reciever shackle
Zune 80 gig for the tunes,
(Do Jeep slush mats count?)
Life size Amstaff terrier bobble head in rear seat :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:06 am 
LOST Member

LoganSix wrote:
fdems wrote:
. But I have one more question REDWOLF said " you will have a lot of adjusting to to get used to the ways of life and the methods to peoples madness down here " I've dealt with and seen alot of S@*T how bad can it be? I'm very adaptable..

No, it's not the craziness of NY people, it's the slow life style. Laid back life style. And, then there's the redneck cough**Daniel**cough life style.

BTW, um, not sure you noticed on your travels or not, but all NC cities are surrounded by woods. It's just how we do things down here. :D

Perfect. Laid back and relaxed, thats the environment I want to be in. Learning how to relax is a challenge for me but I think I can do it, over here it's RUSH RUSH RUSH or get mowed down!!! I was looking at Fuquay Varina, Apex and CARY ("Containment Area for Relocated Yankees." ) any opinions from the people that live there..Low Crime and good schools are a big factor. Thanks Again. Hopefully this will settle my interest for now and help me plan another relocation trip to check things out.. Reading about these places on other sites are good but I'm not going to get most of the details. And once again all your help proves L.O.S.T. is a great place to be.Appreciate it!! :)

N.Y. GIANTS FAN!!!!
Go DEVILS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Daniel can tell you more about Fuquay Varina; first word is pronounced Foo kway and the second is like marina (boat parking) with a V.

As for Cary, we'll it's the best you can get around here. The best schools. Lowest crime rate. Least congestion. Plenty of new house and old house to buy. But, we have idiot liberals on the town council who like to waste money on things like 40 steel pine trees as art.

Apex is good. Much smaller than Cary and has some traffic issues, but you are closer to Jordan Lake.

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:37 pm 

OK, it is pronounce FEW as in a few pennies. Kway .

Sheesh, HOW long has your booty been around here?

Fuquay is cool, it is one of the few remaining areas in NC where you can buy custom built homes for the $100 a sqft range. The lifestyle is nice, and with the amenities finally coming into tow, it's great.

You're from NYC, trust me. I grew up in Syracuse, been here 14 years, and people STILL think I am from NYC. It's just how it is.

The things you will have to get used to... Local restaurants and pubs are nothing like you want or remember. People think college basketball is a real sport. People are polite and courteous unless they are relocated Yankees at which point they are as rude and as miserable as can be.

Yes, I like to live the redneck life, give me a fire pit and some peach moonshine and I am a happy mother @$#%. Give me some good friends, some 90s grunge music and life is perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:05 pm 
LOST Member

I moved to cary resently, and I must agree with all the descriptions listed above. ( reminds me of florida, where i'm from, nobody that lives here is from here)...everyone seems nice....I think wally and the beaver live next door to me :lol: