It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just got back from URE - Updated with Pics
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:39 pm 
LOST Member

Hey, just broke the cherry on my Liberty at Uwharrie. I'll post pics as soon as the wife gets back from her friends house. She is showing off some pics. Anyway, had a blast. The liberty really impressed me. It took me anywhere that I had the gonads to go, and some place that I didn't, but had to anyway LOL.

There were two times that we just ALMOST rolled it. Or at least it felt like we were gonna roll it. I was at some pretty rough angles. Once was on Rocky Mountain Loop, around the top part of the circle that connects Sawmill to the Forest Road. There's a tight corner that slopes downhill and has a couple decent size rocks in it. I think that is the one I bent my License Plate on :).

The other time I came close to rolling was coming down a real rocky area on Dicky Bell. There's a spot that has a White Cross on a tree and two or three paths down. We took the center and got awful close to flipping the side up against a bank.

Everything else was fine. There were a few places that I didn't expect us to make it, but the Libby pulled right over it. Open Diff's and all. My skids rarely even touched. There were a few places I scraped, but nothing major. The factory skids held up fine.

On another note, I had an awesome concept for some rock rails, based on what I saw. I'll draw it out on WORD and see if I can cut and paste it later.

Pics coming....
Rescu2000

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Last edited by rescu2000 on Sun May 25, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:22 pm 
LOST Member

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v651/rescu2000/

Link to the pictures. Nothing impressive (except for the guys climbing the rock).

Rescu2000

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:04 am 
LOST Addict

Looks like you had fun!

Mid-Atlantic & Carolina LOST #236236
2006 TJ Solar Yellow Rubicon
Lockers, Springs, Skids, Headers, Snorkel,
Exhaust Work, 4.5 Long Arm, Warn M8000
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers Moab's/SpiderTrax, 6000k HID, IPF H4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:26 am 
LOST Junkie

Nice pics you are no longer a trail virgin,thanks for taking time to post pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:07 pm 
LOST Member

The pictures do NOT do it justice. The trails are much tougher looking than the pictures appear. Also, the places we had the most trouble, I was too focused on getting through it to think about pictures :LOL:

Rescu2000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:25 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

good pics, rock rails have several weak points, I have a guy currently doing some calculations on what a set would cost that would be similar in design but stronger than what you are showing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Man that is a fun looking trail. In picture #41, did you go up or down that part of the trail, and what about pic #59? That looks like a blast. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:04 pm 
LOST Member

Here is #59. This area was actually easier than several that we went through.

And as for 41 (below) It is VERY tough in person. I chose to take an easier route (since I was by myself with no winch). The alternate route is #40 (next one down). 41 has about 6 foot of rise over a length of 10 feet with big rocks at the top. #40 has rocks that are about 12" tall at the top. The libby pulled right over them. A couple of guys on ATVs stopped at the top of the hill to watch me try it. LOL. The guy said "I'm glad to see you are out using it for what it's made for."

I was talking to the guy in the yellow jeep below. He said that he'd heard good things about the Liberties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

well i might still be going...i'm waiting for my drivshaft to come in...i will start driving the jeep in to days...told you, you would of have a fine trip...did you go over to see kodak or daniel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:14 am 
LOST Addict

Very cool. That looks like a really fun ride. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:07 am 
LOST Member

The only three places I didn't see were Kodiak Rock (we did the other two sections of Rocky Mountain Loop), Daniel, and Dutch John. I think we did everything else.

Next time we go, I plan on making sure that we go with a group. That way I can be a little more adventurous. Depending on how soon that happens, I may have some more mods too.

Given the Liberty's performance this weekend, I couldn't be happier. I was really concerned about the open diffs, but I bet we didn't spin a tire more than 2 or 3 times.

Planned Mods:
Beefier Tranny Skid (~250)
Rock Rails (custom design) (~???)
Front Radiator Skid (like Rubigade's) (~???)
Aussie Lockers (front and Rear) (~500)
On Board Air (with a tank or two) (~300)
Fuel tank Skid (~200)
Internal Beadlockers (From Staun - This is a tube that keeps the beads at 50PSI, no matter how low you drop the tire pressure) (~ 600)
Winch (~500) (M8000)
May consider a real roof rack
Rear Diff Cover and anything I can do to protect it.
Other minor mods (CB mounted, Bigger Antenea, etc)

Wow, $2.5k worth of mods left to go...