It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2WD loser....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just wondering....for those of us out there with only 2wd.. (I know, I know, but I got a great deal on it...)
are these trips cool for us to come on and "tag along"? I know we probably wouldn't be able to do all the trails, or any, with just the 2wd but I do love to camp and fish 'n' stuff.

Just curious if there are others out there like me that join up during these meet ups.

I'm a girl, I'm in the military, I paint my toenails pink, I play in the dirt, and I'm pretty effin hot....so sit back and watch cuz I break ALL the stereotypes.

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't gone to sleep yet.

www.myspace.com/usctailgatin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:00 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Put a locker on that 2WD rear and you'll be able to do more than you think.

Are you left-handed? Or did you flip your avatar pict? Nothin' like hot brass on your forehead, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

dog_party wrote:
Put a locker on that 2WD rear and you'll be able to do more than you think.

Are you left-handed? Or did you flip your avatar pict? Nothin' like hot brass on your forehead, eh?

Might just have to do that

And yes, I am left handed but I can switch easily enough...
Not only was it hot on the forehead but the black pads were hot on the elbows since it was about 102 out that day AND they had us so close together on the range that the hot shells from the guy next to me kept hitting my ears and arms. Hot d*mn, but that crap is hot as hell.
Oh yeah, and then we did gas mask shooting after that...but I dig that stuff so I didn't care so much about the hot...still better than Iraq.

I'm a girl, I'm in the military, I paint my toenails pink, I play in the dirt, and I'm pretty effin hot....so sit back and watch cuz I break ALL the stereotypes.

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't gone to sleep yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

as far as of road...yeah in 2wd you can do trail rides...it's a a meet where you can meet up with other liberty ppl...period...come to uwharrie in july with us and nothing else you can ride along and tell good camp fire stories :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:04 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I have run most of the trails in Uwharrie in 2wd with just a few problems. Even with a crappy LSD, you might be surprised how far you can go. The biggest problems you'd have is if it is wet at all, and then the steeper rockier hill climbs...

Hey, thanks for your service to our country. I appreciate it and all you do for us every day.

Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
H&K USP .45 Attitude Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Redwolf698 wrote:
I have run most of the trails in Uwharrie in 2wd with just a few problems. Even with a crappy LSD, you might be surprised how far you can go. The biggest problems you'd have is if it is wet at all, and then the steeper rockier hill climbs...

Hey, thanks for your service to our country. I appreciate it and all you do for us every day.

Yeah we were out at Carolina Beach a few weekends back (Memorial Day) and camped on the beach with a group of friends, but I had to park in the town because I couldn't get through the deep sand ruts. So, even though it's got enough height on it to do a lot...I just worry about all the rest.

And, it's my pleasure. I couldn't imagine not doing it. So lucky to be born here and live here....I'm happy to give back. And it's something I absolutely, 100% love to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:30 pm 
LOST Member

we would love to see you come out. the more the merrier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

what yoy were at carolina beach and didn't call? :lol: i live in wilmington and north end as we call it is a great place to hang out...i was there two by the way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:22 pm 
LOST Addict

You'll have problems in sand that's for sure. Even with a locker in the rear you will still have spots that will give you problems. Airing down will help you in sand, but there's a limit.

The lack of low-range is going to give you another problem: your transmission will be more likely to overheat, and you might not be able to overcome some obstacles.

However, for fire-road type of trails, you should be OK in 2WD. Expect some minor problems in hill-climb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:55 am 
LOST Member

I would suggest a little lift and a rear locker. I did all of the trails (except kodak rock) with open differetials. I very honestly think I would have done better with a rear locker and 2WD than open diffs and a 4WD. I say that because I often found that my back tires were the ones holding me up (slipping) on the obstacles and steep hill climb. I would have done much better if I could get the rear tire that had bite to spin. If yours has the LSD, you might be ok with just that.

As a comparison, I was running 30.5" tires with a 2.5" lift. I also had 500+ lbs of cargo/people.

I also STRONGLY suggest that you get some skids. Even the factory Mopar skids. I got my set (minus the fuel tank) for $160 (plus tax, was less than $200) from the dealer recently. Very good investment. I can't recommend using the nutzerts though. I already have one spinning and I'll have to cut it off or something.

The camping is great. Especially if you pick one of the trails to pitch it on. $30/year for unlimited camping is a bargain too.

As a bonus: Uwharrie has a shooting range :)

Rescu2000

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:56 am 
LOST Member

Duplicate post deleted

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Last edited by rescu2000 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:08 am 
LOST Junkie

ECCOOO :shock: :?: :?: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:47 am 
LOST Newbie

sounds like it'd be a really great time....wonder how much a gun costs to rent out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

not sure you can rent one...by the way...there is no mag in your m16a2 riffle...lol...it should be a great time...add your self to the list sticky up top on the carolina board if you plan on attending :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:57 pm 
LOST Member

Yea, it's BYOG. I have thought about taking my S&W 9mm out there, but I think if I take it to shoot on the range, it would be illegal to have it on the trail with me. As you can imagine, I'm not fond of leaving it in the tent...
Rescu2000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

ohv_kj wrote:
not sure you can rent one...by the way...there is no mag in your m16a2 riffle...lol...it should be a great time...add your self to the list sticky up top on the carolina board if you plan on attending :D

yeah, I know there's no mag in it....we hadn't gotten the go ahead to do that yet. I was getting it aligned for my "left-handedness" before we started shooting. I didn't even know the guy next to me was taking a picture. He was taking pictures of our whole squadron that was shooting that day. Was pretty cool.

Too bad we can't rent guns there....I don't have my own that I can take out of the safe on base.....yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:18 pm 

For heavens sake, it's North Carolina. The law is - you may carry a weapon in a NON CONCEALED manner in those areas which do NOT have a posting prohibiting it. Exceptions are public spaces, state office buildings, etc. For the "trails" you are fine so long a your weapon is in a safe mode and not concealed. Don't stuff it under the seat for instance, or try to hide it in the glovebox. Mine is always on the seat next to me or on the floor just behind me.

Anyone else think it is kind of funny that the most active thread we have had in a while is started by a hottie with a street rod?

Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
H&K USP .45 Attitude Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:33 am 
LOST Junkie

so lets make somthing of it, yeah? uwharrie in jully 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:42 am 
LOST Member

Redwolf, Are you certain. I thought it was illegal because it is a national forest (weapons prohibited). I thought the only exception was the ability to carry a .22 (for some reason).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:41 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Open carry is allowed on most National Parkland (restricted in certain areas during certain times of year), but concealed carry is currently under discussion. 48 states have concealed-carry permits and Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne is now making the decision whether or not to honor those permits on National Parkland.