It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handgun Carry in NC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:46 am 
LOST Member

We started hijacking another thread on this, so I thought I would start one. This is something I have gotten conflicting information on. I know Dog_Party has stated that:

Quote:
Open carry is allowed on most National Parkland (restricted in certain areas during certain times of year), but concealed carry is currently under discussion. 48 states have concealed-carry permits and Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne is now making the decision whether or not to honor those permits on National Parkland.

I am not arguing, because I want this to be true. However, I do not want any law-enforrcement surprises. The job that I have requires background checks. It's a REALLY good job and I'd hate to lose it over something so stupid. I'll try to contact some rangers and law personnel tomorrow to verify. However, here is an excerpt from http://www.ncrpa.org/ccwfaq.htm (The NC Rifle and Pistol Association)

Quote:
In North Carolina there is no State law specifically prohibiting the open carry of firearms. Under the theory that if it isn't specifically prohibited it's not illegal, open carry is possible. There are some glaring exceptions to this. They are:

Private property owners and businesses can post "no guns."

Firearms are strictly prohibited on state-owned property, except rest areas and state lands where hunting is permitted.
Local governments can (and do) enact prohibitions against "display of firearms" in cities and/or specific areas within cities or counties, which means they can't be visible. Under this statute there is absolutely no requirement for the city or county to post notice of the display ban.

Local governments can (and do) enact firearms bans on local government property and in parks and recreational areas.

Any federally-owned property or federally-regulated property like banks and Post Offices is of course a prohibited area.

Much of the Outer Banks is "National Seashore," and firearms are prohibited in those areas.

So in theory that leaves everywhere else in the state - except for one more thing. There is a common-law offense in NC called "going armed to the terror of the people." Basically what this means is that if someone sees you carrying a firearm and calls the police to report "person with a gun," you can be charged with this offense. It's not often used in rural areas, but has been used in populated areas. If you are an out-of-state visitor who is not here lawfully hunting or engaged in some overt firearms-related event such as a competition, it will be hard to talk your way out of it.
"

Note the bold sections. This is what gives me pause on this. Again, I will consult some experts and get some information tomorrow, but I have found that sometimes even the people who enforce the laws don't know what the laws are, so any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rescu2000

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:03 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Thanks for that NCRPA info rescu2000. That's just the info I've been looking for. Even if they pass the CCW on National Parkland, it would most likely simply follow the NC State Parkland rules. If NC State parks don't allow firearms, the National Parks in NC most likely will not.

We should all be concerned about following the regs, background checks or not. But I certainly understand the position you're in increases your desire to understand and follow. I wouldn't lose my job if I broke a handgun ordinance...unless I broke the one about not bringing a gun to my desk...might get fired for that one. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:18 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

hey that's great info!

FWIW, Uwharrie is a National forest where hunting IS allowed (in seasons).

Please let me know what you find out if you get a hold of anyone. I am thinking of calling my local pigs to see what they say.

Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
H&K USP .45 Attitude Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:29 pm 

We need to check NC State hunting laws. Some states specifically do not allow the carrying of a handgun during specific rifle/bow hunting seasons. These are typically the states that have specific handgun hunting times/seasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:05 pm 
LOST Member

Sorry. I fell asleep before calling Friday. But I did read that the only gun allowed outside of hunting season is a 22. I bet that during hunting season you would have to have a hunting license to carry on the trails. I`ll call Them Monday.

Rescu2000

P.S. picked up my CRS rock rails and skid row tranny plate from Bl00 today. These rails are HUGE!

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:45 pm 

I look forward to the report on it. The regs are so convoluted, it's almost like you can never be within all of them.

Yep, the CRS rails are beefy monsters, eh? I love mine. Great purchase!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:50 am 
LOST Member

I called the ranger station. The information person told me that I had to have my handgun LOCKED UP whenever I was out on the trail. I was so glad that I could even HAVE it on the trail I didn't ask any further questions. I read somewhere that the reason you can't carry out of season has to do with gameland laws. There is a provision to be able to carry a 22 sidearm in those laws though.
Rescu2000