It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayaking trip to Outer Banks 7/12 - 7/13
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:41 am 
LOST Addict

Just in time to avoid the fourth-of-July crowd, I'm proud to bring you this all-impulsive not-thought-of-very-well trip to the outer banks! Participants will be spending some time driving around in circles doing donuts on the beach and spending even more time paddling around in circles, at night, while hungry sharks circle below.

OK, maybe let's start that over ...

7/12 to 7/13. Spend some time at the beach. Swim. Paddle. Whatever works for you. Not much driving on the beach per se --- we've all been there and done that. Let's actually enjoy the sea and the surf ... get your toes wet. There is a surf shop that rents out kayaks and canoes (and surfboards if you're into that).

I'm thinking we could probably do one night run, to where I don't know. Just sort of go round and round I guess. Maybe find some spots to dig some clams (hopefully it won't be on someone's clambed ... I'd hate to get chased off ... those things are marked, right?)

OK, night run ... bring mosquito repellent.

See you guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:20 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

:cry: Can't go :cry:

We'll be up at Chateau Morrisette drinking way too much wine and listening to blues music. Bought the tickets a while back, reserved the hotel room long ago.

Have fun all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

where in the outerbanks? i was a kyak tour guide there for some years...around manteo, nagshead, pea islandand north of that i'll check my schedual...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:07 am 
LOST Addict

I am going to camp at Ocracoke campground. The plan is to make base camp there and enjoy the ocean side during the day and when it gets cooler we drive around the southern end of the island and go kayaking on the sound side.

Do you have any suggestion for avoiding private property in that area? What is the law regarding right of way in that area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:22 am 
LOST Junkie

kayaks low on the totolm poll...you only have right away if your passing a tube...anything moterized has the write away...know one owns the water so youcan go anywhere just not on the the shore...i would like to come maybe...i could take the ferry from cedar island to ocacoke...how much is a campground and need reservation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:06 am 
LOST Addict

Ocracoke campground is $20/night. Reservation can be made (I'll make mine on Sat.) on reserveamerica.com --- nonspecific, when you get there that's when you choose your own site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I worked in kill devil hills a couple of years ago,i was there for three weeks.Put the company van on the ferry to ocracoke one sunday .It,s a fun place to go.Sounds like your going to have a great time wish i was there.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:48 am 
LOST Junkie

just found out i have to watch my mother in laws dogs for the week...sorry can't come :cry: :roll: see some time i'm sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Ocracoke campground allows pets on 6' leash. I'm bringing ours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:55 am 
LOST Junkie

well i would if it was only my dogs...but they have two dogs as well so a total 4 dogs....mmm no! plus if i would of gone with 4 dogs, i would have to change my name to The Real Dog Party :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:13 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

currently no night driving on the beach and nothing north of the Hatteras area.

Sounds like fun, I took my first OBX trip last week with the family to Kill devil Hills, water temp was a cool 68-72F and wonderful air of 80-84F.

Hope y'all have fun!!

Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
H&K USP .45 Attitude Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:22 am 
LOST Addict

Well we're back :)

Beach closure are in effect for the sound side around the tip, south of exit 72, due to bird nesting in the area.

There are two known open access to the sound side: one is near exit 68 but on the sound side, same road that goes to the dump station. The other access point is near the Hatteras ferry.

The dump-stations access: this one-way dirt road leads directly to the sound side and you can make it in 2WD all the way. Water is a little shallow but you can make it pretty far out if you knew the water depth. We took three tries to get out to the island a little way out.

The wife and kids had chance to look at rays up close, and found lots of crabs in the area but no live clams.

We ran into quite a few people that are upset over the beach closure ... some have been coming for 40 years or so and just cannot believe it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:34 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Welcome back. Those beach closures absolutely infuriate me. :evil: I hope you had a good time. Did you kayak? Or just Jeep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Oh we had wonderful time ... didn't do much jeeping at all. Spent an entire day just paddling around the sound side and the kids had fun building "hermit crab hotels" (lumps of sand, sea grass, and shells, with hermit crabs stuck inside somewhere) --- poor hermit crabs.

Turbo Monkey spent about an hour napping in the sun while daddy and mommy paddled. Little Monkey wanted to nap but didn't want to miss the fun so he spent about 50% of the time nodding off.

Stayed at the Ocracoke campground again, but this time it was packed and the showers were monopolized by the teenaged girls. :roll: