It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uwharrie Trail Information
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:32 pm 
LOST Member

The intent of this post is to put as much Uwharrie info as possible in one post (hopefully sticky'd). This will be helpful to newcomers and out-of-towners. My knowledge is limited, but it will be a start. Please add. Also, please keep this post to UNF and start additional threads with information about other offroad sites (if any).

Uwharrie National Forest
Where: Located outside Troy, NC <I will add more direction info and possibly a map>

Activities:
Off Highway Vehicle Trails ($5/day or $30/year 4X4's, dirt bikes, gators, 4 wheelers, etc)
Campting ($15/day for campgrounds w/ restrooms, showers, and water) There are 2 campgrounds.
Primitive Camping (Free on the trails)
Hiking
Watersports (fishing, swimming, kayaking, etc)
Shooting range ($3/day or $30/year includes a rifle and a pistol range)
Ziplines (go to carolinaziplines web site)
Horseback Riding
Uharries Stables (mud pit, horse rentals, off-road events)

My build the first time I did these trails: 2003 Liberty Sport 4x4: 30.6" BFG All Terrain KO's, 2.5" lift, factory front, engine/tranny, and Tcase skids. No rock rails at the time. Open differentials w/ part time 4wd. Ran 20PSI to make sure I did not pop a bead. I would recommend lower pressures.

Recommended build: 2.5" + lift, full skids w/ aftermarket engine/tranny skid, 31"+ tires, rear locker (rear wheels alone would have made trails much easier).

OHV Trails (Details):

- Daniel -
This trail is Difficult and should not be attempted stock without some friends with some serious gear. It runs from Cotton Place Road to the Rocky Mountain Loop, which comes out on Dutch John Road. To run the trail uphill (which I highly recommend), you will enter from Cotton Place Rd in a small parking lot. A short distance in you will hit a switchback that begins the hill climb. The first obstacle on the switchback is a rock step that must be climbed. It is 18 to 24" high. I made it over this obstacle after great effort, 10 minutes of trying, and excellent spotting from the crew from East Coast Trail Raiders. I would consider the build I had at the time to be an absolute minimum to make this trail. (build at the time is listed above). After this initial obstacle, the switchback is mostly uneventful. There are only two sections of switchbacks. They end at the base of a steep hill climb. There is a bypass and a rock climb. The rock climb path is only possible in a highly modified Liberty. It is possible in lightly modified Wranglers and lightly to moderately modified Cherokees. The bypass is at a very steep angle and has a lot of loose, flat rocks. There are a few medium rocks that may need some spotting to get past. Once you get to the top, the view is breathtaking. Try to make this trip in the afternoon and you can watch the light fall away from the tree tops as the sun goes down.
It is possible to drive in from the Rocky Mountain Loop and take in the view without climbing the face of the mountain. There are some areas at the top that are adequate for parking and areas of primitive camping if you are so inclined. The trail in from that direction has some good rocky areas and small climbs that are fun in both directions.

<I will add a similar write up for each trail>

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:02 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

this is a good start, very thorough! FWIW, I did every trail in Uwharrie with a stock Liberty on 31's late one night. A lot of the ability of the area depends upon the status of the moisture level of the trails. If it's wet, there's not much that is the same as when it's dry. Dry=BORING!

Boat Drinks OffRoad Co-Founder
H&K USP .45 Attitude Backer