It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For those of you who go to Uwharrie...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For those of you guys (and girls) that go to Uwharrie you have undoubtly seen this sign at the camping ground by Falls Dam:

Well I thought that you may want to know who was the man this campground was named after. US Army Special Forces Master Sergeant Arthur L. Lilley, stationed in Fort Bragg, NC, was sadly killed in action by small arms fire in Afghanistan on 15 June 2007. According to all counts, he died a hero saving the life of one of his men. The Army has since renamed the Forward Operations Base where MSG Lilley served and died, in his honor. Art left behind a wife and two wonderful children and literally thousands of people he affected through his love of off roading. I was lucky enough to call Art my friend and he was a fellow staff member on the Zuwharrie board.

Uwharrie was one of Art’s favorite places to take his Suzuki Samurai, and his Special Forces Team for mountaineering, camping and ATV training. While dealing with the Forest Rangers (getting permits for Zuwharrie's events and using the forest for training his troops) they came to know him. We originally suggested to get one of the trails renamed in his honor but was told by the rangers that this was impossible, however they were planning to build a new campground so at our request Ranger Walker agreed to name the new camping area/parking area on Falls darn the "Art Lilley Memorial Camping Ground” in his honor. Zuwharrie had raffles and collected donations to purchase the sign at the entrance and the wood and gravel needed to build the three ATV ramps in the new camping area. Art was a great guy and he is missed by a lot of friends (Just google "Art Lilley" to see how many people he touched)

So next time you are wheeling on Falls darn and see this sign remember that the name on that sign is one of a great man who gave his life for his country.

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon