It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No more free rides on the beach on Hatteras
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

http://islandfreepress.org/PivotBlog/pi ... d=174#body

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon

Post subject: Re: No more free rides on the beach on Hatteras
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:39 pm 
LOST Member

Well.....that sucks. BIG TIME! We were planning to trip to the campgrounds right by Hatteras this summer. The campground is nice and quiet with a nice beach access. I guess we'll have to pay this next time.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

well there goes my planned summer trip to there this summer, if i have to pay to drive on the beach i might as well stay at home in va, and deal with the same buls**t here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't remember the total exactly, but it's something like 55 dollars for a week, 125 for a year or something along that line, if i can remember i'll get my tag out of the Jeep. They have you write down your vehicle info / DL# etc, then you get to watch a typical 7 minute tourist video of what the ORV areas offer which includes a commercial for one of the offroad recovery towing companies right before the disclaimer that they're not going to help you if you get stuck. Not sure if any of the permit offices are actually checking to see if you have any of the "required" equipment on the list, such as full size spare, jack, shovel of some sort, etc - the one I was at near bodie didn't.

I drug quite a bit of trash and sea litter off the beach when I went, much, much more than I have had to gather up in the past years. Add on to that - around the #2 entrance up at bodie lighthouse, there were 2 dead gulls on the beach in the "walkout" area next to the permit office and campground / picnic area that were basically right off to the right of the CLOSED #2 ramp (#4 was open)

Had the ramp been open, someone would have picked up and disposed of the dead gulls, as it was closed, i told the permit office they needed to get someone to pick up the carcases and they acted like they had no interest in it at all, when I told them to give me permission to drive out there and get it, they balked and got off their *** and radioed one of the roving buggys to take care of it

I don't think any of the money is going into taking care of the beaches, and of the 20-30 miles of the northern end of hatteras seashore that I did my usual run-through on, the permits have actually damaged the overall condition of the beaches

If you're used to going out and filling up a white kitchen garbage bag.. take 3 black leaf bags or you're going to run out of room quick - the overall condition of the beaches at this time really tells a story about how WELL people were keeping the beaches cleaned up before the permit reg was enacted.

Drop your trash bags on the ramp to the permit office, they're not going to fit in the tiny recycling dumpster they're providing in the permit office parking lot.

If you usually go to the Manteo/Kittyhawk side, go north past Duck to Corolla, it's nicer anyway.

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632