It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer road trip/camping trip
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:59 am 
LOST Member

First off I want to sorta introduce myself, I used to live in NC till I was 10 (Greenville then Wake Forest). I've still got family in Rocky Mount and I think Goldsboro, but she just moved there recently so I could be wrong.

Anyway, to the point. I've been thinking pretty hard about making a road trip to NC sometime this summer depending on how my schedule's gonna work out. I want to camp and maybe hike in the mountains for a day or two, drive through to visit my family members, and then camp on the Outer Banks for a while. Once all that's done I may drive to Parris Island, SC to visit a buddy who just got transferred from Lejune, although I'm not sure how long that drive would be.

I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions as to where to camp, etc. From what I've heard Ocracoke is the place to be if you plan on camping on the banks; unfortunately I haven't seen much of the Outer Banks besides Atlantic Beach. My dad is kind of skeptical regarding our being able to find campsites, as I'll only be 19, what do y'all think? Also, I'd be interested in wheeling/camping at Uwharrie if any of you would be interested in making a run. I may also have a mostly stock Bronco along with us on the trip. Thanks in advance guys.

'04 TJ Sport - Solar Yellow, D44, stock for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:29 pm 
LOST Addict

There is some thought about April 8th runing to Uwharri. Depending on when you are in NC this summer, I can go to Uwharri. Im tied up from June 17-July 8th (EUROPE BABY!) so anytime after that and I'm game.

Mid-Atlantic & Carolina LOST #236236
2006 TJ Solar Yellow Rubicon
Lockers, Springs, Skids, Headers, Snorkel,
Exhaust Work, 4.5 Long Arm, Warn M8000
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers Moab's/SpiderTrax, 6000k HID, IPF H4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:58 pm 
LOST Member

count me in also, lets just work out the dates ahead of time.

Allen

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:21 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks guys, sounds good. Unfortunately I probably won't know which dates I'll be able to go until late May at the earliest, but I'll make sure to keep everyone on this forum posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:44 am 
LOST Member

ocracoke is the campground to choose.. you really dont have to worry about it being over crowded.. as i was there in full summer and ocracoke the tent sites were plentiful.. have fun.. if you want an awesome ride.. take the cedar island ferry.. the drive to the ferry is thru swamp/inlet areas.. awesome in the daytime.. then the ferry ride.. relax... then you get off right in the town of ocracoke.. :)

L.O.S.T. #123321

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:35 am 
LOST Member

brpn#1 wrote:
ocracoke is the campground to choose

Thanks, I got the idea from one of your older posts :)

I was also thinking since you live along the Blue Ridge Parkway you might know of some good campsites in the mountains. I know I could just do a google search or something but I'd rather go by what you guys recommend rather than google :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:59 am 
LOST Member

OK guys, I have the possible dates narrowed down to sometime between May 13th and June 5th, or July 27th to August 15th or so. This depends on when I can take a class at a community college out here, but it looks like that earlier period will be the best for me becuase I think I'll be moving back to Manhattan earlier this summer. Paying for the trip will likely be a little tricky, but I think if I time it about a week and a half into the summer I'll have enough cash.

I'm still looking for some good campsites in the mountains somewhere, either in NC or TN. We don't need electricity or anything like that since we'll just be camping in tents. I'm also thinking about camping at Uwharrie, and I was wondering if there were any particular campsites y'all would recommend there.

This isn't set in stone yet, but if I can get a few people from out here to go with me I'm definitely doing it. Thanks again for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
...wheeling/camping at Uwharrie if any of you would be interested in making a run...

Oh, let us know the weekend and we'll get some people down there.

ArrowHead campground is where I usually camp. It has a little swimming area off of the lake. Cost $20 / night. However, you can camp anywhere on the trails for free.

Linville Gorge/Falls area has some good hiking. Just get out a map and look for it near the mountains. There are plenty of camping areas and trail heads, just pick one. I do not recommend off-roading at Telico with out someone who knows the way and has a good vehicle. Uwharrie should quench any off-road desire you have.

CRS-Rock Rails * Rusty's Lift * *MTR's * Husky Mats * The 'Grill' and Shelf

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:07 am 
LOST Member

white04kj wrote:
brpn#1 wrote:
ocracoke is the campground to choose

Thanks, I got the idea from one of your older posts :)

I was also thinking since you live along the Blue Ridge Parkway you might know of some good campsites in the mountains. I know I could just do a google search or something but I'd rather go by what you guys recommend rather than google :wink:

. depending on if you are camping alone or with your gf/wife.. i wouldnt recommend camping alone linville gorge.. :) no bathrooms/running water :) but if your into primitive camping.. that place is awesome.. can even go and checkout the Brown Mountain Lights at the end of the gorge drive.. now if you want to camp on the parkway.. my all time favorite campground is Crabtree Meadows campground right off the parkway.. the reason we like this one so much is it is not over crowded like Linville or Price lake campgrounds.. they have difference sections for trailer or tent camping.. and its within 30 mins of local towns and a super wally for grocery shopping/camping supplies/anything.. at Crabtree, we choose the same spot every year.. surrounded by rhododendrons and trees.. peaceful.. and there is a hike to the Crabtree Falls that makes a great afternoon hike.. you would be within 30 mins from Mt. Mitchell and 45 mins from Linville Falls area.. now if you want more hiking trials and trout fishing.. the Black Mountain Campground is located about 2 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway.. it is located right below Mt. Mitchell right beside the South Toe River.. they have TONS of trails.. even the Mt. Mitchell Trail can be taken right from the campground.. i still havnt done that yet but this summer we might tackle it..

hope that helps you out.. you can find all the info on those campgrounds if you search for them.. they are highly recommended by everyone..

L.O.S.T. #123321

Last edited by brpn#1 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
the Black Mountain Lights at the end of the gorge drive

I thought is was the Brown Mountain Lights.
Don't get him lost. :D

CRS-Rock Rails * Rusty's Lift * *MTR's * Husky Mats * The 'Grill' and Shelf

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:48 am 
LOST Member

oops.. yah Brown mountain lights.. :) typo lol.. i live off the Black mountain range.. but the Brown mountains are where those mysterious lights are.. we have been up that way a few times.. i have never seen anything.. heard stuff in the woods but thats it..

L.O.S.T. #123321

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:12 am 
LOST Member

brpn#1 wrote:
my all time favorite campground is Crabtree Meadows campground right off the parkway.. the reason we like this one so much is it is not over crowded like Linville or Price lake campgrounds..

Do you have a link that would give me a site to reserve a campsite, or just some good info on the campground? All I've found on google so far is hiking info (which is fine too). I'm almost considering staying in the mountains for the entire trip, but still making a run to Uwharrie. It would be less stressful (read: less driving), but I wanna go to the beach too... what to do??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:23 am 
LOST Member

most of the info is on the .gov website for the blue ridge parkway.. here is a few links..

http://www.nps.gov/blri/crabtree.htm
http://sherpaguides.com/north_carolina/ ... adows.html
http://foreverlodging.com/foreverinfo.c ... ntKey=2414

that one page that shows Crabtree and Carolina Hemlocks.. i forgot about Carolina Hemlocks.. duh.. its right by my house.. the South Toe River goes right by it.. its usually popular in springtime because people take inner tubes down the river and back to do it again :) crystal clear water.. its awesome.. we are going to do it this summer too :)

at Crabtree there is no reserve or anything but i never had a problem there are tons of camp sites.. one reason we like it so much not like linville campground off the parkway is always so crowded.. in fact sometimes the ranger isnt there when you checkin so they use honor system.. you just put your $ in an envelope they provide and put it in this slot.. last time we went was $12-14/night for spot.. there used to be a number to call the only number i see on there now since they changed the website is for the snack bar.. you could call them im sure they could give you more info or you could get a number to call from them for ranger near by.. if you need any more info let me know.. if i remember later today i will post a few pics so you can see how the campground looks.. and the area.. if you ever seen any of my pics i go by Crabtree Meadows everytime I goto walmart :)

here is a few teaser images i just found on my HD..

we always choose site 48 at Crabtree Meadows.. this was the first day out KJ finally arrived from the factory :) look at that virgin skin.. no dirt.. heh

here is our Jeep tent that we got free when we got our KJ and setup canopy over the picnic table

L.O.S.T. #123321