It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non KJ Boston info
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:44 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

OK so it is not KJ related but I need some help. My wife may be teaching some classes at Boston College and/or Harvard this fall/winter 8) so what are the areas to live in and the ones to stay away from :roll: ? Any papers or other places that lists rooms/apts. for rent?
Any info would be appreciated plus there would be another lifted KJ in the area every 2 or 3 weeks for long weekends!
Who else can I turn to but L.O.S.T. people??? :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:08 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

we have a couple from around Boston they will pipe in,I can tell you it may not be cheap,I'm 45 min from there & the prices are ridiculus around here,let us know when you arrive & get situated & we'll plan a run :wink: ,your best bet may be to stay just outside the city but I'm not sure,c'mon guy's help a brother out ( LOST brother that is) :)

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

I've stayed in brighton and watertown, prices are pretty high everywhere around the city. If you want cheap, stay away from the T lines and other public transportation. If it's BC and Harvard, there's really not one place that is very convenient for both, since they are really on opposite corners. I live in brighton (right up the hill from BC, actually) and harvard is about a 20 minute drive or so.

The further you are from downtown, the cheaper it gets, especially if you can get outside the 128 loop.

Best place to look for listings is boston.craigslist.com, by far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:21 pm 

Thanks for the info so far, will check out craigs list. I was not real sure of the different area names etc. Also another problem is my wife says no way does she want to try and drive in Boston so it has to be fairly close to at least BC. And she will be there by herself since someone has to keep things going back home here.
If anyone else has any info I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks

tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommud,
There are several towns right next to BC that might be very pleasant to live in. The City of Newton (directly adjacent to BC) is a very large suburb. It's a very safe and comfortable community but may be a bit expensive as it is a fairly ritzy Boston suburb. Also, apartments may be limited as there are more single family homes. This is the same for the township of Chestnut Hill. On the other end of the spectrum is Allston/Brighton. This township in the City of Boston has a higher concentration of people but is still relatively safe and closer to public transportation. It is also nearly equi-distant between Harvard and BC. The City of Watertown is also a similar option. Watertown is slightly larger and a little more spread out with more families in the area, but it is further from public transportation and a little closer to Harvard. Finally, there is the City of Brookline. Brookline is a unique city because it is the closest to Boston but is still a separate city. It is a VERY pretty neighborhood, has great access to two public transportation lines, and plenty of shopping and dining. It is adjacent to BC but a little further from Harvard. However, I believe Brookline has the largest concentration of college professors than any other town in Boston :) It might be a great atmosphere for your wife while she teaches. I second what Se7enLC said, go to boston.craigslist.com. On the downside, apartments can sometimes be hard to find, go quickly, and can be expensive. Good luck to you and Go Eagles! Feel free to PM me for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:35 pm 

Thanks to raceinfan, Se7enLC, and Dman for the information. You gave me exactly what I needed. Now to start the hunt for somewhere for her. Never been to Boston so may end up contacting some of you again when the time comes to move her over.

Thanks again, I knew I could count on someone to come through
That is what makes this site so great!

tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:46 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

the pleasure is all ours :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not sure if she's interested in taking the T (subway), but Quincy, and Braintree are decent areas. I live in Quincy in a really nice apartment complex that has either city or water views, the water views being the ocean. There are T stops in Quincy that are convenient and it's about a half hour ride into Boston. Quincy is about 7 miles south of Boston. Hope this helps. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:29 pm 

MassJeepGirl PMd you some questions

thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:53 pm 
LOST Member

Congrats to your wife! Those are great schools. I graduated from Babson, a little known, most excellent, business school nearby. I live in "Metrowest", near the Masspike (I-90), west of I-95. I agree with what everybody posted. My recommendation depends on your wife's personality... If she likes to sight see, visit museums, enjoy a little night life, then it may be worth finding a place in Boston (Beacon Hill, Cambridge, Fenway). $$$$ and parking a car can be impossible. If she will stay home most evenings, goes hiking, enjoys the malls, wants to save $, then the suburbs are definitely an option. Watertown, Arlington, Brookline are somewhere in the middle and each have pros and cons. I live along the "Commuter Rail" line (mass transit is called the "T" here), which has good service into Boston ("town"). But most of the time I just hop on the Mass Pike and drive into town.

BC is on the west side of town, so I find it's a convenient drive vs. taking the T. Harvard is a different story... It's in a tough place for me to reach, and unlike the old adage, it's tough to pak ya ca in Havad yad (sorry, just had to write it)! BC to Babson would be a much better commute.

You must (must, must) visit Boston and drive the routes before signing a lease. The roads here run every direction but straight, so what may look like a convenient location on a map could end up being an inconvenient spot. Plus you'll see the different styles of each of the towns and the locations.

Best of luck!

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:10 am 
LOST Member

Just re-read your post... The "and/or" makes advice difficult, as previously written, the schools are in very different spots. Don't let this disuade your wife from teaching at both schools. They're both teriffic spots. Just don't schedule classes too close together. When you find a place, post again for driving advice. There are many shortcuts you'll never find unless somebody tells you.

Websites... Craigslist, Boston.com, and Metrowestdailynews.com (for the 'burbs by me).

Good luck!

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:11 pm 

Thanks Kev, Thanks for the info. She will not drive in Boston only learning now so she would not get along there as she has NO sense of direction or reading a map! :lol: She would be the stay at home in the evenings, but look out MALLS on the weekends. She will have classes at both places we already know that. I see what you mean about getting around. Went on Mapblast doing scouting some places today and man you have to go 2 miles north to get 1 mile south, really nuts!! As of right now I will be moving her over there sometime the end of August. So if you watch the news at 6 and it shows a Black Liberty sitting in the middle of an intersection with some guy standing on top of it screaming....that might just be ME! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:24 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Tom you guy's will be fine,if you need anything else we're here to help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:23 pm 
LOST Member

Tom, Throw a line if you see a blue limited from the roof of your KJ. I'll pull you out of that intersection!