It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stupid new guy question, please dont be insulted...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

so i need a 2" hitch for my 03, it looks like i could bolt up one of the generic set ups that auto zone sells, or i could go to uhaul and have one put in for $25 more ($150) is it worth uhaul doing, or is this thing gonna tear off when someone has to pull me out from something stupid i would do ( and i will). any opinions would be great - bryan

Post subject: Re: stupid new guy question, please dont be insulted...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:30 pm 
LOST Addict

bryco13 wrote:
so i need a 2" hitch for my 03, it looks like i could bolt up one of the generic set ups that auto zone sells, or i could go to uhaul and have one put in for $25 more ($150) is it worth uhaul doing, or is this thing gonna tear off when someone has to pull me out from something stupid i would do ( and i will). any opinions would be great - bryan

I suggest getting one of the one-piece ones instead of a generic one. They look a lot better and will be much more rugged. They aren't all that much more expensive, really, if you shop around.

I say you'll do fine to buy one online and install it yourself, though. It's all of 4 or 6 bolts, no point in paying uhaul to do it.

Actually, does the $150 from uhaul include wiring and installation? if it does, that's not a bad deal. I was expecting the hitches to cost around $100, but I can't seem to find any for that price. Cheapest I can find is a hidden hitch for $140 from All Js.

Edit again: Looks like I found some as cheap as around $100:
http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-4351&bool=AND&category=l_usa_search&maxhits=10&keywords=2003&keywords_2=JEEP+LIBERTY&GO=GO%21

Last edited by Se7enLC on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:37 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Bryco I got mine at U-Haul for $ 120 & installed it myself very easy if you get one & need someone to install it I'd be happy too :D free of charge

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:45 pm 
LOST Addict

raceinfan wrote:
Bryco I got mine at U-Haul for $ 120 & installed it myself very easy if you get one & need someone to install it I'd be happy too :D free of charge

Just out of curiosity, Pete, what'd you use for wiring? I haven't wired mine up, yet, but I see U-Haul has a $16 kit that splices into the lights, etrailer has a $30 kit that clips in, and mopar probably charges $100 for who knows what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:52 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

unfortunitly mine isn't wired up at all as of yet, bought it just as a recovery point but now I may have to haul my snowblower this winter so this may change

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:58 pm 
LOST Addict

raceinfan wrote:
unfortunitly mine isn't wired up at all as of yet, bought it just as a recovery point but now I may have to haul my snowblower this winter so this may change

That's about where I'm at, too. I bought it because it was $50, but now I'm wondering if I should invest in a motorcycle trailer :-)

Sorry to Hijack your thread - anyway, if you decide to install it yourself, it's pretty easy once you have the right tools. (18mm socket, extension, and breaker bar, along with an open-ended 18mm wrench if you have a 6-bolt version). If you need a hand, I'm willing to help out, too, schedule + location permitting, of course.

Last edited by Se7enLC on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:01 pm 
Master of the Blender

I purchased my hitch from U-haul for $125 and installed it myself, the only problem I had was one bolt on the passenger side due to the exhaust. Then I went to the local U-haul and purchased a 4-pin connector, which they installed - total price on the connector was $20 (don't know if they would have installed it free if I hadn't been renting a trailer from them :? ). I can also attest to the U-haul hitch being stout enough to use as a pull point when getting into trouble on the trail :P
Se7enLC wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Pete, what'd you use for wiring? I haven't wired mine up, yet, but I see U-Haul has a $16 kit that splices into the lights, etrailer has a $30 kit that clips in, and mopar probably charges $100 for who knows what.

Thats the one I got. I'm sure I could have installed it myself, but the tech at U-haul offered so I figured I'd save myself some hassle. One thign I like about that connector is that it has LEDs to indicate that everything is functioning properly.

L.O.S.T. #KB051963

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:04 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

thier easy enough to wire as long as you figure out what wires go to what brake/turn/recerse I believe wal-mart sells this stuff also & I've done one of my trucks with some self splicing connectors the connector splices the wire in it's housing all you have to do is push the tab down & it's done & that was for my pop up camper drove to six flags NJ & back with no problem all lights worked great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:16 pm 
LOST Addict

corwyyn wrote:
I purchased my hitch from U-haul for $125 and installed it myself, the only problem I had was one bolt on the passenger side due to the exhaust.

Ahh, that bolt was a total pain. I ended up taking the right rear wheel off and going in through the side with an open-ended wrench. Was much easier than trying to deal with an angle socket.

Quote:
I'm sure I could have installed it myself, but the tech at U-haul offered so I figured I'd save myself some hassle. One thign I like about that connector is that it has LEDs to indicate that everything is functioning properly.

Yeah, that's a nice feature. U-Haul also has a little $4 doodad that plugs into a 4-pin plug that has LEDs to indicate which lights are on. I think the $16 tap-splice kit might be the way I go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:33 pm 
JEEPZILLIA
JEEPZILLIA

I picked up a mopar factory rear hitch from ebay for 65 beans.
I went to a trailer and truck place and bought a wiring relay for 45 beans. simple to install. the relay runs off the driver tail light and run the other end to the pass side tail light.

done deal. it took me no more then 15 mins to install the wiring relay
and about an hour to install the hitch. pass side is really hard if you do not take off the tire.!!!!!!!! HINT........

Moabs and plenty of pin striping
Flexable people don't get bent out of shape!
Current MPG 6" to a gallon
L.O.S.T. # BL065211
www.ItAtYourHome.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:04 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

it took a wicked long extention but I didn't have to remove my tire at all,it can be done but do it the easy way take off the tire,note to self