It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AUGUST 27th RUN TO NH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:35 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

August 27 th trail ride meeting details

WE will be meeting at 9:00 at the first rest area on rt 95 just over the New Hampshire line we will wait till 9:30 for any late comers

For those coming from the north country we will meet you in Portsmouth at the state Liquor store off 95 at the rotary sorry don't know the exit #

IF YOU NEED MY CELL # for what ever reason please PM me & everyone should have some kind of communication while we're out even cheap 2 way radio's from walmart will work just get 2 for someone else to talk with you incase of a problem

this will be virgin territory & LEGAL, should be stock friendly,I recomend skid plates & tow hooks just incase
I don't know what to expect but that's the fun of it :D

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Last edited by raceinfan on Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:04 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

one more thing to add THIS IS LEGAL & I have pictures of it being done in a stock KJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:18 pm 
LOST Addict

At the moment, both weekends are free for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:26 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

WOW :shock: someone actualy replied,although I knew you would Jeff :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:48 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

If you get something going I may join you, if you would let me! :lol: 8) . I will be moving my wife to Boston sometime right around the end of August so will have to keep checking to see what you have going on. Trouble is no skids yet only lifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:00 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

SURE YOU CAN JOIN 8) shouldn't be a problem with just a lift,but not sure it's virgin terratory but we're good spotters so you should be fine we'll have a definate date soon it'll be alot of fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:43 am 
LOST Member

I may be down for this, my kj is all stock right now (lift or skids now? i can afford one or other right now) do you have pics of the place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:12 pm 
LOST Addict

ratmloud wrote:
I may be down for this, my kj is all stock right now (lift or skids now? i can afford one or other right now) do you have pics of the place?

Get skids before a lift, definitely, but you should be fine stock. A lift will make you less likely to get stuck, but skids will make you less likely to damage your jeep. Stuck is something that is easily remedied, but ripping out important stuff under your jeep is a little more permanent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:17 pm 
LOST Member

what skids you running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:56 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

HI Micheal,Pete here, even if you go with the Mopar skids you should be OK which most of us have I only have 3 mopar skids & All J's engine/tranny skid (which is built like a tank :) ) my Mopar skids have held up well so far for what we've done & the cost isn't bad either for them

The reason I got All J's skid for my engine & tranny is just for that added protection but if you are on a tight budget the factory ones will be fine

as Jeff mentioned get SKIDS FIRST & then worry about the lift later

hope you can make it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Do you need skids/lift for this run?

I don't want to break anything but don't have
the money for skids at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:34 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

kingofl337 wrote:
Do you need skids/lift for this run?

I don't want to break anything but don't have
the money for skids at the moment.

Don't know if I've said it before but WELCOME to the NE section :D

now as for your question I'm not realy sure,the person who has done this trail in a stock KJ got thru unscaved not sure if he had skids & he's been re stationed & I haven't heard from him in quite some time he gave us 2 trails to use.

The first trail we did on Memorial day & we had 1 KJ without skids,tow hooks & he did just fine got stuck once but thats part of the animal
you should be fine but it's your call, any time you go wheelin it's a risk that we all take but we do a pretty good job at spotting & picking the right line so it's up to you if ya want to go :?:

You could even park your jeep & ride with one of us if you want we'll have room & then try it next time on your own also some of us only have minimul skids which came from the factory & the OEM skids are pretty cheap$$ I think the most expensive one is for the gas tank around $125 & they'll do the trick for what we do

HOPE THIS HELPS :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I could go on the 27th. I'm fully stock (off road wise) but could order some skids this week if you guys are going on the 27th.

Let me know which date?

Thanks.

(Oh, by the way, I'm Kevin from Boston.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys! Im back! I can go either weekend, so whatever works best for everyone else!!! I cant wait! Bringing the cousin again too! --Pete give me a call when you can in the evenings, Im available!

Power Sunroof
RB1 Nav w/ Infinity Sound System
Mopar Rear 6CD Changer
Mopar 2-way Remote Start
Mopar Subwoofer
Mopar Taillight Guards
Mopar Slush Mats
Mopar Renegade Light Bar
Mopar Renegade Roof Basket
Cobra 19 DX CB
L.O.S.T # 025482

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:46 am 
LOST Addict

I agree with pete - by no means are skid plates and tow hooks *required* to go on a trail like this, but they are recommended, just because of the peace of mind you get knowing that you won't break anything and that it'll be easy to recover you if/when you get stuck.

If you take it slow and careful, though, you shouldn't have any problems. There may be some spots you get stuck, but we'll make sure we get you back out again. We won't make you drive through anything you don't feel comfortable with, and since you'll be wheeling with a bunch of liberty's, you'll know that the truck will be capable of doing it.

If you want to order skids, you should order them soon, as they may take a long time to ship, depending on where you get them from. I don't know yet which date it will be - does anyone else have a preference? I think the plan is to go with the date that most people can make, and at the moment that date sounds like the 27th. If anyone else is following this thread and has a date preference, please chime in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Great! I'll order some skids today.

Quick question though... I was looking on jparts and they only have Engine and Fuel Tank skids for the 2003. They have Transmission and Transfer Case for others. Can/Should I get the Transmission and Transfer Case skids somewhere else?

Thanks for the help.

'03 KJ Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:50 pm 
LOST Addict

k21975 wrote:
Great! I'll order some skids today.

Quick question though... I was looking on jparts and they only have Engine and Fuel Tank skids for the 2003. They have Transmission and Transfer Case for others. Can/Should I get the Transmission and Transfer Case skids somewhere else?

Thanks for the help.

Here's an FAQ I wrote up for another site:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3790

The long and short of it is that the transmission plate skid was not available until 2005, so you'd have to buy one intended for a 2005 model and rig it to fit. Not sure about the transfer case skid, though, I thought that would be available for 2003. Pete would know, I think he has a 2004 and bought all his plates (my rig came with the full set from the factory)

Something you should also consider is rock rails / sliders / etc. Since one of the goals of offroading is to aim the tires for things like rocks, there's a good chance if the rock is large enough, the bottoms of your door panels will hit it. If you have rails there, you'll be all set and can bounce or slide right on them. I have the mopar rails, and they work just fine, but a lot of people swear by boulderbars or skink sliders from various other vendors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:56 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

they do have a Transfer skid for the 04's I have one & I believe the 03's will also fit I bought mine from my local dealership they had it within a week they should be the same price give or take a couple of $$ BUT you'll spend that on shipping which in the long run you will save $$ by getting it local , my engine & tranny skid came from All J products but expensive again for what we do the factory skids will be just fine

as for rock rails if you don't have them you should be OK for this run ? & we will be spotting everyone all day I believe only 2 of us had them on the last run & we didn't even come close to hitting them but if a situation should start to accure we will find you a go around or make one,you should think about getting them in the future though or maybe a X-mas present

these trails are mostly unmaintained roads so everyone should have fun & there may be some challenging area's but you all should be fine,as Jeff mentioned if you do get stuck we will get you out "right Jonathan" :wink:

Jeff & I have discussed when this should be & which ever date get's the most replies that's the one we'll pick & so far it seems to be the 27th but we're going to hold out just a tad longer I will change the Announcment heading when we get it finalized so stay tuned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm going in for 30,000 mile service on Sat and I will talk to the dealer about the skids then. I may just have them order them and put them on. Do you think they will alter an 05 skid to go on the 03 or will they just say I can't do it?

'03 KJ Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm 
LOST Addict

k21975 wrote:
I'm going in for 30,000 mile service on Sat and I will talk to the dealer about the skids then. I may just have them order them and put them on. Do you think they will alter an 05 skid to go on the 03 or will they just say I can't do it?

It really depends on the dealer. I think something actually has to be drilled to make it fit, so the dealership might not want to do that. It might even be easier to do it yourself rather than pay for ungodly amounts of labor.

I suggest going in with an idea of what they cost online, including shipping, and which skids are which. So that way when the dealership says "sure, we can do it" you'll know if the price they quote you is decent.