It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Jeep is acting up..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So, at the moment..

My check engine light is on.. for the same EVAP code.

My front differential is leaking.. pretty badly.

I have a leak in my coolant system.

8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

Post subject: Re: My Jeep is acting up..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Time to take her behind the barn and shoot her in the head.
That sucks. Any idea why its happening? Could it be something that shifted? Not the cover but maybe the housing.

06 CRD
OME HD w/clevis top plate
JBA 4.5 UCAs
245/75/16r Goodyear Duratrax
Fumoto Valve, V6 ABM
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Cobra 75 WX ST
ECO GDE tune, 2.5 straight piped
ProVent, Samcoed
Non F37ed TCM
DieHard P1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

infernicus wrote:
So, at the moment..

My check engine light is on.. for the same EVAP code.

My front differential is leaking.. pretty badly.

I have a leak in my coolant system.

8)

Where is the front diff leaking? Pinion seal? Is the rad leaking at the top plastic? And where is the evap leak? The dealer find out?

Full Mopar Skids
Yakima roof rack system
ARB bumper
Hella 500's
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Frankenlift Premium II
GY Duratracs 245/70/16 AT's on Cragar Soft 8s
JBA 4.5 A-arms
Cobra Classic CB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yah..

This is where the Radiator is leaking from, I hope its just the hose that need to be replaced..

Here is the Front Diff. (you can see the stamp for my 3.55 gears)

VMKJCRD wrote:
That sucks.
That's what I was thinking, but I can't afford anything right now, the wrangler I want is 30K+.
LI_KJ wrote:
Where is the front diff leaking? Pinion seal? Is the rad leaking at the top plastic? And where is the evap leak? The dealer find out?

I'm still not too sure about the diff, I tightened the bottom bolt and it helped. None of the other bolts even budged (I could only reach the two next to the bottom bolt) The leak is much slower, but it still leaks. So I hope it just needs to be re-RTV'd. Or something that is just as "easy".

The EVAP light went away when I replaced the gas cap, but now its back, so back to the dealership it goes.

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

infernicus wrote:
Yah..

This is where the Radiator is leaking from, I hope its just the hose that need to be replaced..

That doesn't look like to bad of a fix, might just be a bad/loose hose that is spewing some HOAT out.

Here is the Front Diff. (you can see the stamp for my 3.55 gears)
Looks like you got a bad seal there with the differential cover to carrier. Nothing some new RTV can't fix, thought I hear it is a bear to get the bracket off and pull the cover on the front diffs. I've never done it, but as you know I have had my fair share of differential problems and still leaking!
One time I brought it to the dealer they said the cover was leaking from the top. So maybe some of the other bolts got loose and is what is causing the leak. Are you losing a lot of fluid, like having to refill the gear oil? If not then, it shouldn't be too much of a concern. Heck, I have been leaking for more than 15000 miles now, and no one seems to be able to fix my problem yet! I just keep a close eye on the oil level, and it makes a fine mess of the undercarriage.

VMKJCRD wrote:
That sucks.
That's what I was thinking, but I can't afford anything right now, the wrangler I want is 30K+.
LI_KJ wrote:

I'm still not too sure about the diff, I tightened the bottom bolt and it helped. None of the other bolts even budged (I could only reach the two next to the bottom bolt) The leak is much slower, but it still leaks. So I hope it just needs to be re-RTV'd. Or something that is just as "easy".

The EVAP light went away when I replaced the gas cap, but now its back, so back to the dealership it goes.

Full Mopar Skids
Yakima roof rack system
ARB bumper
Hella 500's
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Frankenlift Premium II
GY Duratracs 245/70/16 AT's on Cragar Soft 8s
JBA 4.5 A-arms
Cobra Classic CB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was going to take it to the dealership tomorrow, so I could have my truck for work this weekend. But, unfortunately I need my truck during the day.. So I guess I'll have to wait until next week.

I'm coming up real close to the end of my 7/70 mile warranty. So I want to take care of everything as soon as possible.

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I say change the hose and re-RTV and re-torque the diff. Also, I am new to Jeeps, but why isn't the hose clamped? I know you said earlier today it presses onto there, but still no clamp?

As far as the EVAP code goes, did you replace with an OEM gas cap? I know it sounds silly, but I've heard of issue on other cars IE. had this issue on my pop's Caddy where a cheaper non-factory cap doesn't create a proper seal for the factory's pressurized system.

6000k HID's
Skids to come!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The hose I will change..
Originally I used a gas cap from Autozone. Light came back. I bought the MOPAR one. It went away, then came back again. I am bringing it to the Dealer for the EVAP code. Seeing that it should be under warranty..
I will tell the dealer to check the front diff at the same time it is there for the EVAP.

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

infernicus wrote:
The hose I will change..
Originally I used a gas cap from Autozone. Light came back. I bought the MOPAR one. It went away, then came back again. I am bringing it to the Dealer for the EVAP code. Seeing that it should be under warranty..
I will tell the dealer to check the front diff at the same time it is there for the EVAP.

Mine has the EVAP code too, two of them since I bought it. I got a new OEM cap but didn't help. I have a scanner, so I just keep erasing them and they always come back about 3 days later. I guess its a leak in one of the EVAP hoses from what other people have been saying, so I'll have to check into that when it gets warm again :oops:

Frankenlift 2.5" 3 ISO, 4.5 UCA, 16x8 Pro Comp Rims, 255/70/16 Cooper Discoverer STT, Pinch weld mod, Heater control mod, Custom graphics (made by me), Clear markers, Clear tail lights, Cold air intake, Flowmaster Super 44 exhaust, Blacked out grill with inserts, Removed Running boards, Removed all factory badges, Powertrax No-Slip locker