It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auxiliary lights and cops dont mix
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well I have my aux lights mounted on my cowl in front. I always drive with them on in NY and I pass a cop in town once every 5 seconds, never pulled over. Asked many a times what the law was about them and none knew so I took it that it was okay. Well driving home to CT the other day I am 5 minutes from home when I pass a CT cop, going 35-40 in 30. He waits then pulls out, "Awesome a speeding ticket as say to myself" but he dosent pull me over, then he decides he is. So I was pulled over for having my lights on, I nicely explained how I was never given a firm answer to my question regarding the law, so I couldnt be sure. Handed him my license , registration and OOPS WHERES MY INSURANCE CARD!? Well I didnt have it, just all old expired 2010 ones, so I again explained to him that I was an EMT and just graduated as a Criminal Justice student. He understood and checked all my stuff, so we talked and he said he has no reason to believe that the car wasnt insured so that as long I sent a copy of my insurance to him today he would not ticket/warrant my arrest. He said if I did not fax him a copy by the time he was on duty tonight, he would put a warrant out. Honestly he did not seem like that type of police but i obliged and bidded him a farewell. Nice officer.

So, anyone in CT dont drive with aux lights on!!! It is 100$ ticket.

-Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders(custom)
-Engine skid, Skidrow Transmission skid
-4" Lift - JBA 4.5 Gen A-arms
Installed@165,920k
Pilot lights on cowl
Engine replacement at 175k

Post subject: Re: Auxiliary lights and cops dont mix
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

that stinks at least it wasnt too bad... you send him your info? haha

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
that stinks at least it wasnt too bad... you send him your info? haha

haha I was on that like white on rice

Installed@165,920k
Pilot lights on cowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the true question is did you post here before or after you faxed the info... :-)r

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

before haha

Installed@165,920k
Pilot lights on cowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:38 pm 
LOST Member

I'm sorry you were pulled over, but I get really peeved at people driving around with aux lights on blinding oncoming traffic and creating a dangerous situation. More than once I have had the 'retina burn' cause a shrt bout of night blindness.

Please be considerate and use tham only when you would your high beams! :D

:JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Roostre wrote:
I'm sorry you were pulled over, but I get really peeved at people driving around with aux lights on blinding oncoming traffic and creating a dangerous situation. More than once I have had the 'retina burn' cause a shrt bout of night blindness.

Please be considerate and use tham only when you would your high beams! :D

:JEEPIN:

Well technically they arent aux, they are driving lights, so they arent even that bright, they are about as bright as the headlights, probably less.

Installed@165,920k
Pilot lights on cowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

driving lights or not... or even if they were super bright... it matters where they r aimed when it comes to blinding people... i have HIDs and when i didnt have my lift and they were imed correctly i never had a problem and had mouch more light up the road... now that i'm lifted... well i see peoples flashers from time to time... maybe one day i'll aim em correct again

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

hmm, well mine are aimed , down and centered to the road, i feel bad but i dont care it helps my blind booty see in the nighttime lol, i know they arent THAT bright, I know from staring at them

Installed@165,920k
Pilot lights on cowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Vranes17 wrote:
hmm, well mine are aimed , down and centered to the road, i feel bad but i dont care it helps my blind booty see in the nighttime lol, i know they arent THAT bright, I know from staring at them
I tend to bright those total idiots who drive around with the aux lights on............no thought or care for those around them.........

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:52 pm 
LOST Member

Vranes17 wrote:

Ok. Well I won't feel bad or care when you do get a ticket.

Whatever happened to people being considerate of others???

Do you like it when you get blinded by someones oncoming lights??

If you really are that night blind, maybe you shouldn't even be on the road. :dizzy:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

I dont know im sitting too high up :mrgreen:

Installed@165,920k
Pilot lights on cowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

roostre take it easy... many of us have aux lights, and yes you may use them, if you get blinded again it may suck but it happens all the time... let me teach you a trick when you being blinded instead of looking at the light look at the lines on the road, specifcally the one to the right of u... that way you dont get blinded :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

People please be considerate of others on the road. Changes in lighting effects everyone. It takes 15-45 minutes for the human eye to properly adjust to changes in illumination, depending on their age. That's why headlights need proper aiming and highbeams turned off when approaching others. Fog lights should only be used when there is inclement weather. Off-road lighting shall remain used only when offroad. Most states have laws that reflect this protocol. Many states fine for off-road lights not having covers, never mind using them on public roadways. One state I know of doesnt allow lights any higher then the headlights. Be responsible and don't contribute to futher restrictions on our hobby or lifestyle.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3 inch lift; Rusty's springs all around, Rancho struts + 4 electrical conduit washers up front. Old Man Emu in rear.
Moog K3199 in the lowers
General Grabber AT2 - 245 75 16 "load E on a mawl crawler? You don't need those." tire dealer.
K&N Filter
Silverstar Ultras

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
roostre take it easy... many of us have aux lights, and yes you may use them, if you get blinded again it may suck but it happens all the time... let me teach you a trick when you being blinded instead of looking at the light look at the lines on the road, specifcally the one to the right of u... that way you dont get blinded :wink:

So rather than being a responsible driver and not using lights that could cause an accident you suggest taking your eyes off of the driving in front of you an concentrate on the line just in front and to the right of you? :roll: :banghead: another brilliant idea! NOT! That is a very dangerous practice that has caused many accidents ( I used to underwrite auto insurance accidents) Be considerate and dont use only the lowbeam stock lights on 2 lane highways when approaching traffic! period! problem solved

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no i'm not telling you take your eyes off the road i'm saying dont stare into the light by looking at the line you are still watching the road you aren't just looking onto oncoming traffic, you are looking where you are supposed to which is the traffic your moving with.. all ytou do is divert your eyes from the left, where the lights are, then to the right where there is no lights... listen i've been driving a long time. I don't use high beams and generally i dont use my driving lights unless it's needed, and even when i do i know they are properly aimed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
no i'm not telling you take your eyes off the road i'm saying dont stare into the light by looking at the line you are still watching the road you aren't just looking onto oncoming traffic, you are looking where you are supposed to which is the traffic your moving with.. all ytou do is divert your eyes from the left, where the lights are, then to the right where there is no lights... listen i've been driving a long time. I don't use high beams and generally i dont use my driving lights unless it's needed, and even when i do i know they are properly aimed

and off when approaching oncoming traffic correct? IF not you are one of the problems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Depends on the situation... my lights r aimed dead center of my vehicle no light points out which could blind someone... if i feel like i am gunna blind someone they go off... generally they arent on either unless i need them.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Oh now look what I started :BANANA: maaa badddd :rockon:

Installed@165,920k
Pilot lights on cowl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wooooot wooooot. 8)
Vranes (if that is your real name), you're a jerk! :P Go save someone's life instead of sending them off the road!

The lights he mentioned, and how they are mounted, do NOT blind anybody. BUT, they do attract unneeded attention.
And yes, many states require you to have AUX lights covered, NYC, is not one of them. (No one here has extra lighting, :| )

My HIDs, are aligned properly, and it is very easy to do so (on the KJ at least.)
My driving lights are never on. If they were, there would be a whole mess of accidents.
My cowl lights, I NEVER use, they don't produce any real light.

Seacrest, OUT!

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ