It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Few ?'s
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 am 
LOST Junkie

Hey guys someone else on lost directed me to the NE forum and here i am. I just have a few questions that someone from long island may be able to answer.

1. Does anyone know about the legality of offroading on the powerlines? I cannot find any info on it as the varies from area to area.

2. If anyone is familiar with exit 71's Toppings path, Is that legal to offroad on? I know my dad has taken his old jeep down there without any issue's, but i want to be sure before i get in any trouble.

3. Any place else thats legal to offroad on the island? Not talking about beaches, looking for some woods, dirt trails.

Thanks!

Procomp rockkrawlr 16x8 4.25bs with 265-70-65 General Grabber AT2's
Mopar full skid plates, JCR stage 3 Rock Rails
Kenwood HU, 6.5 pioneer marine grade door speakers, JL stealthbox kenwood amp
GDE HOT tune
Soon to come
RL Rock monitor bumper

Post subject: Re: Few ?'s
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome to the fray.
We usually post a few runs per year, but do most of the planning through PM and texts.
Almost all the places on LI besides the beaches are illegal to offroad, unless you have the permission from the property owner. The beaches all require permits and required gear to be in your vehicle.
The powerline trails are usually gated and locked and owned by LILCO, and off limits as well.
Toppings Path/Hot Water St are restricted to hunting access with the proper DEC permits and reservations for use of parking blinds along the trails. All the land back there is Suffolk County Parkland and DEC property and private holdings of a local gun and hunting club. The trails are patrolled by Suffolk County Park Police, SCPD, and DEC rangers. Especially more so during the hunting seasons.
Suffolk County Parks Dept has recently done work in the Manorville Hills section with new hiking, mountain biking, and equestrian trails and new signage has been put up warning of illegal ATV/Dirtbike and 4x4 uses.
So if you go, be careful and keep it on the DL for now!
Happy Trails and look for our postings on meet and greets, lift parties, and offroad runs.
-Jeff :JEEPIN:

Full Mopar Skids
Yakima roof rack system
ARB bumper
Hella 500's
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Frankenlift Premium II
GY Duratracs 245/70/16 AT's on Cragar Soft 8s
JBA 4.5 A-arms
Cobra Classic CB